Date Posted: Jun 16, 2012
Marketing Officer position with Ministry of Mines (445 Views)
About Ministry of MinesThe Ministry of Mines has launched the Afghan Compressed Natural Gas (CNG) industry to provide Afghan consumers with a cheaper, cleaner, domestically-produced alternative to petrol and diesel for vehicles and power generation. The first CNG station, in Sheberghan City, Jawzjan Province, was launched in May 2012.
Prior to the launch of Afghanistan’s first CNG station, 100% of Afghan fuel was imported from neighboring countries at high prices that fluctuate due to transportation costs. Further, an under-developed natural gas distribution infrastructure has limited the potential of Afghanistan’s prolific northern gas fields. Converting domestic gas to CNG for use in vehicles and power generation will catalyze growth in the natural gas industry, creating new employment and revenue-generation opportunities through private sector investment. The station will also enable the transport of gas as CNG, in tanks, to areas beyond Sheberghan without the need for an expensive, conventional, gas transport infrastructure.
Vehicle owners will be able to purchase CNG at half the cost of petrol. Savings to drivers and power generator owners using CNG will be immediate.
The rights to operate Afghanistan’s first CNG station will be awarded in late 2012 to the winning bidder in the Sheberghan pilot station tender. The winning bidder will gain the exclusive opportunity, as prime mover, to develop the Afghan CNG market and profit from its expansion. Afghan Gas will operate the station during the pilot period before the launch of the tender.
The launch of the Sheberghan station marks the first step in the Afghan CNG industry. A regional network of stations will be developed to bring CNG to drivers and power generator owners across northern Afghanistan, including in cities that are not connected to natural gas pipelines.
Job SummaryThe Marketing Officer will work in CNG Office under the supervision of CNGO Manager and support CNGO at MoM to promote CNG industry in carrying out the functions of marketing. The Marketing Officer will be responsible in supporting development and success of the CNG Office, reaching out to potential investors, giving interviews to press, and educating the public about the economic benefits of CNG. He/she will also manage the entire tender process for handing over the CNG station to private sector. The Marketing Officer will take responsibility for marketing campaigns to maximize the public awareness, maintain positive relationships with all venues and media partners to help achieve challenging targets. The Marketing Officer will develop, establish and maintain marketing strategies to meet organizational objectives.
Duties and ResponsibilitiesThe Marketing Officer will work under the overall guidance and management of CNG Office Manager who reports to the Minister of Mines and Director of Amu Darya and Petroleum Authority at Ministry of Mines. The Marketing Officer will be working in close collaboration with the staff of the CNGO, ADPA, and relevant departments in the MoM, MoCI, and Task Force for Business Stability and Operations and other stakeholders towards achieving the MoM vision of openness, transparency, responsiveness, productivity, and efficiency. He/she will be expected to perform the following tasks:
• To develop promotional opportunities and ideas from conception through to delivery.
• To manage the production of marketing materials, including leaflets, posters, flyers, newsletters etc.
• To arrange for the effective distribution of marketing materials.
• Ensure the CNGO’s message is distributed across channels and to targeted audiences in order to meet marketing objectives.
• To source advertising opportunities and placing adverts in the press – local, regional, on the radio/TV.
• To Liaise and network with a range of stakeholders including customers, investors, colleagues, suppliers, and partner organizations.
• To maintain and update customer database for growing market.
• To organize and attend events such as conferences, seminars, and exhibitions.
• To conduct market research such as customer questionnaires and focus groups.
• To establish and implement marketing plans and strategies.
• To evaluate marketing campaigns, monitor and analyze market trends.
• To monitor competitive activity in the sector.
• To contribute in developing pricing strategy, and in comparison with price of petrol and diesel.
• To build trust, value others, communicate effectively, drive execution, foster innovation, focus on CNG delivery to customers, collaborate with others, solve problems creatively and demonstrate high integrity.
• To attend performances and other events as required out of normal office hours.
• Prepare daily, weekly, monthly and quarterly reports with analysis on the progress, challenges, and lessons learnt.
• Any other duties assigned by the supervisor.
Qualification• Bachelor’s Degree in business administration with concentration in marketing. Master’s Degree will be a strong plus.
• With Master’s Degree 2 years of relevant experience and with Bachelor’s Degree 4 years of relevant experience is required.
• Relevant experience working with a government institution, non-governmental organization or international organization with at least two years in relevant position.
• Proven writing skills in Dari or Pashto.
• Proven track record in maintaining good work ethics, keeping files, and recording system.
• Demonstrated knowledge of computers, producing reports and formal presentations in English; aware of the techniques and modern technological tools.
• Maintains confidentiality of data and respects data dissemination policies.
• Have knowledge of a wide range of marketing techniques and concepts
• Be an excellent communicator
• Be able to respond well to pressure
• Be interested in what motivates people
• A strong understanding of customer and market dynamics and requirements.
• Work well in a team and with a wide range of people
• Be proactive and able to take the initiative
• Be able to motivate and inspire a team
• Be well presented with a professional manner
• Be persuasive and diplomatic
• Have a good business awareness
• Be able to work within a budget.
• Good networking and teamwork skills.
• Strong English (written and oral communication skills); fluency in Dari and Pashto.