Date Posted: May 20, 2013
National CIS Assistant (Communications) position with EUPOL (1224 Views)
About EUPOLEuropean Union Police Mission in Afghanistan (EUPOL AFGHANISTAN)
EUPOL AFGHANISTAN was launched on 17 June 2007 and it will consist of some 323 international and
204 National mission members deployed at central (KABUL), regional and provincial levels.
Job SummaryThe position is located in the Communications Unit of the CIS Department. This unit supports the EUPOL Mission by procuring, installing, and maintaining equipment and systems for radio and satellite communications; telephony, video, and conference services; and specialised systems for vehicle tracking and close protection. The Communications Unit also provides training on telecommunications systems to EUPOL Mission members. As part of the contract management activities of the department, the unit manages licenses and contractors for equipment, works, and services. The unit proposes and implements telecommunication projects for the Mission in support of the CIS departmental work plan, and assists in the sourcing, acquisition, and procurement for project realisation. The Unit coordinates its work closely with other units in CIS, in particular with the Service Desk.
Under the general direction of the Chief of CIS, and under the day-to-day guidance of the CIS Officer (Communications) or his/her designate, the CIS Assistant (Communications) will:
Duties and Responsibilities• Assist in the installation, maintenance, and programming of telecommunications equipment, including VHF/UHF base, handheld, and mobile radios; HF base and mobile radios; mobile, portable, and fixed satellite terminals; and related antennae systems.
• Assist in the troubleshooting and repair of telecommunications equipment.
• Provide support and problem resolution assistance for all incoming telecommunications requests via e-mail, telephone, or the CIS Service Desk.
• Assist in performing administrative tasks related to the issuance of GSM cards, and support technical liaison and coordination with the GSM service provider.
• Provide technical assistance to Mission Members for telecommunication services.
• Maintain multiple databases related to telecommunications services, including equipment inventory, installation and maintenance records, and telecommunications licenses.
• Prepare service and technical reports for the CIS Officer (Communications) or the Chief of CIS on a regular basis.
• To perform any other duties related to his/her assignment.
Qualification• High school diploma with additional vocational education and training in electronics and/or telecommunications engineering, or closely related field; or a college degree with additional education, specialisation, or certified training in electronics and/or telecommunications. Good understanding of telecommunications terminology and services.
• Three years of certified relevant professional experience with telecommunications in a similar position.
• Knowledge of and practical experience with the installation and maintenance telecommunications equipment, preferably HF CODAN, UHF Motorola GM and GP with code-plug programming; satellite communications and positioning technologies (e.g. Thuraya, Iridium, GPS); and related antennae systems.
• Knowledge of and practical experience with digital PABX installation, maintenance, extensions, access-control administration (PIN codes), and automated billing solutions.
• Administrative skills in accounting and billing of telecommunications services, and inventory control.
• Demonstrated proficiency using standard office software applications (e.g. Microsoft Office Word/Excel).
• Good knowledge of written and spoken English and ability to use it as working language.
• Ability to work effectively under pressure, in difficult circumstances.
• Ability to work efficiently in completing assigned duties to a skilled level.
• Ability and willingness to work additional hours if required.
• Ability to lift equipment and materials; perform physical work including erecting antenna masts, climb antenna towers; and use electric power tools.
• Proven interpersonal skills and the ability to establish and maintain effective working relations in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity.
• Mandatory requirement to pass all security clearance and medical checks
Submission GuidelineInterested Afghan nationals should submit their applications at the latest 10 June 2013.
Only the short listed candidates will be contacted for interview.
Only official EUPOL Application forms are accepted.
EUPOL Application forms can be found by accessing the link below
Address: EUPOL AFG Mission, Macroyan 3rd Jalalabad Road Disaster Police Afghanistan.