Date Posted: Jul 17, 2013
On Farm Water Management Specialist position with AECOM/IWMP (677 Views)
About AECOM/IWMPThe IWMP project is a five-year program to provide capacity-building services to the Government of the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan (GIRoA), and involves providing technical and administrative expertise to the Afghan Ministry of Agriculture, Irrigation, and Livestock (MAIL). The goal of IWMP is to expand and strengthen Afghan government and community-level capacity to better manage water resources to improve agricultural production and productivity. IWMP is an equal opportunity employer.
Job SummaryImplementation of the IWMP Water Demand Management Program
Duties and ResponsibilitiesDuties and Responsibilities:
• Uphold the mission, values, and spirit of IWMP in coordinating the program and in interacting with all community members.
• Follow and enforce all IWMP Codes of Conduct, including but not limited to the Sexual Abuse and Exploitation, Drug and Alcohol Policy and equal employment opportunity policy. Report any violations to appropriate IWMP authority, and participate in preventative initiatives.
• Follow and enforce all IWMP organizational policies, procedures, and guidelines including but not limited to personnel, security, communications, finance, procurement, and logistics. Report any violations to appropriate IWMP authority.
• Actively seek opportunities that will complement ability to fulfill position’s responsibilities as well as further professional development, such as taking part in internal and external trainings and participating on relevant advisory boards.
• Perform other duties as requested by the supervisor.
• Work under the direction of the Component 3 Team Leader, or his designee;
• Responsible for planning and coordination of all on-farm water management activities related to water use and water demand management projects;
• Have experience with dry land crop-water management and on-farm water management, BMP systems and design for rain-fed and/or irrigated field conditions (notably surface irrigation through conveyance channels and/or irrigation wells);
• Responsible for determination and application of crop water demand requirements for various types of crops, both irrigated and rain-fed;
• Responsible for siting and use of soil water tensiometers and measurement of discharge in secondary and tertiary canal systems using portable flumes (Cutthroat or Parshall), weirs or current meters;
• Responsible for determination of discharge to individual irrigated farm plots or farm blocks through canal outlets, as well as measurement of tail-water discharge in determining water use efficiencies in irrigated areas;
• Responsible for determination of methods of improving water use efficiencies on irrigated farm plots by land leveling, improved furrowing methods, design and installation of sprinkler or drip irrigation systems, siting and installation of greenhouse nurseries and vegetable gardens using covered tunnel systems, lining canals and implementing other methods of conserving water and improving water use efficiencies;
• Responsible for providing crop water demand management training for farmers, farmer cooperatives and irrigation associations with support from the Agro-Meteorological Specialist;
• Responsible for specifying and overseeing the procurement of land leveling equipment (tractors and laser land leveler systems);
• Responsible for providing training farmers in land leveling and improved furrowing techniques;
• Support and collaborate with other water management programs within the project zone.
• Establish and maintain strong working relationships with stakeholders, partners, communities and organizations (Mirabs, WUAs, IAs, CDCs, etc.);
• Prepare training materials, technical and progress reports.
Qualification• Four years or more of experience in a similar position.
•Bachelor’s Degree required, MS degree preferred, (Agricultural Engineering, Agronomy, Agricultural Management, or similar field).
•Proficiency in Excel and other MS office applications, Microsoft Word, Outlook and PowerPoint.
•Strong organizational, analytical and interpersonal skills.
•Strong verbal and written communication skills in English, Pashto and Dari
•Self-motivated to learn new concepts and participate in new projects.
•Must be capable of working both individually and as part of a team to undertake tasks in a fast-paced environment.
•Excellent interpersonal skills, including patience, diplomacy, willingness to listen and respect for male and female colleagues and stakeholders.
Submission GuidelineCandidates should submit CV and cover letter to email@example.com.
In the subject line of the e-mail, [please put (Ref. Number), Position Title], that you are applying for; otherwise your application will NOT be consider. For example (IWMP-AID-0056), On Farm Water Management Specialist
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interviews. No telephone inquires please.
“Depending on the number of applications received, resumes may be accepted after the deadline”