M&E Specialist(2086 Views)
The Ministry of Agriculture, Irrigation and Livestock is implementing “On Farm Water Management (OFWM)” Project, financed by the Afghanistan Reconstruction Trust Fund (ARTF), in five (5) regions, namely: Kabul, Nangarhar (Jalalabad), Balkh (Mazar-i-Sharif), Baghlan and Heart.
The overall development objective (PDO) of the OFWM-Project is to improve agricultural productivity in the Project Areas by enhancing the efficiency of water used.
A Kabul-based Project Management Unit (PMU) headed by the Project Manager, with the assistance of Core Team of Specialists, is responsible for execution of the project. Five Area Teams: one each in Kabul, Nangarhar (Jalalabad), Mazar-i-Sharif (Balkh), Bamyan and Heart, have been established for implementation of field activities.
The project started its implementation from March, 2011 for a period of 3 years and is being monitored by Worlds Bank. The project closing date has recently been extended up to April 2016. The project has received additional fund from the World Bank (the Bank) and the period of the OFWMP has been extended to December 2019.
The Project consists of the following parts:
Part A: On-Farm Water Management
1. Carrying out social mobilization for the establishment of Irrigation Associations (IAs) in the Project Areas, including, inter alia, the provision of: (a) training to communities in organization and management of IAs; (b) facilitation services for communities to develop the IAs’ internal legal rules and regulations (by-laws); (c) assistance to IAs in order for them to be registered under the Water Law (1388); and (d) technical training to IAs regarding water distribution, maintenance of irrigation infrastructure, irrigation methods, water-saving techniques, crop-water requirements, and good agronomic practices.
2. (a) Carrying out rehabilitation works to small irrigation schemes or tertiary canals (watercourses) covering approximately 40,000 hectares in total in the Project Areas, including, inter alia: (a) rehabilitation of existing intakes, (b) canal lining; (c) construction of control structures and outlets; (d) construction of, culverts, laundry basins and cattle troughs; and
(b) Improving design standards and strengthening the private sector’s capacity for contract management and construction techniques.
3. Establishing easily accessible pilot irrigation demonstration sites in the Project Areas to showcase improved water management practices/technology and agronomic water saving techniques/measures, as well as proper farm planning and layout for an efficient use of irrigation water.
Part B: Institutional Strengthening and Capacity Building of MAIL
Developing the institutional capacity of MAIL to plan, design, implement and monitor irrigation programs, including, inter alia: (a) construction and/or renovation of office buildings, one each in Kabul, Jalalabad, Baghlan, Mazar-e-Sharif and Herat, respectively for MAIL and Project staff; (b) strengthening of MAIL’s Directorate of Irrigation at national, provincial and district levels; (c) strengthening the legal framework for the irrigation sector, (d) developing a national irrigation program, (e) undertaking of technical training in the irrigation sector including study tours transferring on-farm water management know-how; and (f) developing a database covering irrigation systems throughout the country.
Part C: Project Management, Coordination, Monitoring & Evaluation
Strengthening the institutional capacity of MAIL for Project implementation, policy development, and technical innovation, monitoring and evaluation, by establishing and maintaining a Project Implementation Unit comprised of a Kabul-based core team, five (5) Project Area Teams and internationally recruited experts.
Part D: Support for Productivity Enhancement
1. Establishing easily accessible pilot irrigation demonstration sites in the Project Area to showcase improved water management practices/technology and agronomic water saving techniques/measures, improved agronomic and social management practices, as well as proper farm planning and layout for an efficient use of irrigation water.
2. Promoting land leveling and high-efficiency irrigation technologies in the Project Area.
3. Establishing Information Centers for farmers at the provincial and district level in the Project Area.
|Date Posted:||11 Oct 2016||Reference:||MAIL/OFWMP/26|
|Closing Date:||02 Nov 2016||Work Type:||Full Time|
|Number of Vacancies:||1||Gender:||Any|
|Functional Area:||Agriculture||Open Ended:||NO|
|Nationality:||Afghan||Salary Range:||As per NTA Salary Scale Policy|
|Contract Type:||Service Contract||Years of Experience:||5 Year(s)|
|Contract Duration:||1 Year(s) & 0 Month(s)||Extension Possibility:||Yes|
|Probation Period:||3 Months|
Duties and Responsibilities
The specific responsibility of the M&E Specialist would include but not limited to the followings
1. Develop formats for preparing, reporting and compilation of plans/progress of various project activities.
2. Develop formats for baseline and periodic surveys for establishing pre-project dataset as well as for capturing temporal changes.
3. Lead the field staff in collection of periodic/seasonal data planning field activities, project review, impact assessment etc.
4. Collect, compile and analyze the data regarding different sub-components/activities against envisaged project objectives.
5. Provide assistance for modification of project implementation plans for component 2 on the basis of the information collected from the field on different aspects.
6. Establish a framework for involving beneficiary communities in the M&E process and internalizing beneficiary feedback in project implementation path.
7. Provide leadership in developing monitoring mechanisms/systems.
8. Provide guidance and training on M&E concepts and tools to project stakeholders.
9. Lead surveys/information collection for impact assessment of project activities.
10. Supervise M&E staff for inspection of field activities for ensuring adoption of specified standards for monitoring.
11. Support the execution of plans by the head of PIC.
12. Create an environment of harmony and cooperation inside the department with all relevant internal and external parties work in change management and capacity development programs.
13. Facilitate the ongoing capacity building meetings.
14. Prepare and present reports.
15. To perform other duties as assigned
Travels to Provinces
Require Travels to Provinces
Familiarity with Agriculture and specifically Extension issues in Afghanistan is highly desirable
Familiarity with project management approaches, tools and phases of the project lifecycle.
Able to work effectively at all levels in an organization.
Excellent active listening skills.
Problem solving and root cause identification skills.
Strong analytic and decision making abilities.
Must be a team player and able to work with and through others.
Ability to take direction and to focus on and follow through on priority activities and assignments.
Ability to handle effectively multiple tasks without compromising the quality, team spirit and constructive working relationships with all colleagues.
Excellent organizational skills, detail-orientation and flexible work style.
Demonstrated ability to handle confidential and/or sensitive information.
Excellent English, Dari and Pashto communication skills required.
A minimum of Bachelor’s degree in agriculture or relevant field with specialization in monitoring and evaluation
At least 5 years of work experience in related fields.
At least 3 years’ experience in similar position.
Professional, relevant experience in Afghanistan required.
Afghanistan - Kabul: PROVINCIAL CENTER (KABUL)
Bachelors Degree, Agriculture
Send your CV to:
On-Farm Water Management Project, MAIL, Pamir Building 7th floor.
Ministry of Agriculture, Irrigation and Livestock,
Address: Kabul University Road, Kabul, Afghanistan
Note: No resume will be taken under consideration without having a cover letter.
Only shortlisted candidates will be called for interviews.
The Subject Line Must be Reference number
|More jobs in this category|
|Watershed Management Officer at MAIL/CPMO||Kunduz||31 Mar 2018|
|Field Officer at DACAAR||Multi Cities||12 Apr 2018|
|Gardener باغبان at GEO-CHEM Middle East - Afghanistan||Kabul||29 Mar 2018|
|Social Water Management Specialist at MAIL/CPMO||Multi Cities||30 Mar 2018|
|Agronomist at MAIL/CPMO||Multi Cities||30 Mar 2018|
|OFWM Engineer at MAIL/CPMO||Multi Cities||30 Mar 2018|
|Irrigation Engineer at MAIL/CPMO||Multi Cities||30 Mar 2018|
|National Seed Program Coordinator (Re announc.. at ( Ministry of Agricul..||Kabul||31 Mar 2018|
|Livestock Extension Worker at SNaPP2-MAIL||Multi Cities||26 Mar 2018|
|Female Extension Agronomist at NEI (Nutrition and Education International..||Kabul||20 Mar 2018|
|Female Livestock (Poultry &Dairy;) Extension .. at CARD-F||Balkh||20 Mar 2018|
|National Database Assistant at Food and Agriculture Organization of the U..||Kabul||25 Mar 2018|
|Poultry Production Specialist at Hawk Vision||Kabul||22 Mar 2018|
|Agriculture and Livestock Extension Worker at SNaPP2-MAIL||Multi Cities||20 Mar 2018|
|Agriculture and Livestock Extension Worker at SNaPP2-MAIL||Multi Cities||20 Mar 2018|