IDSR International Technical Advisor Re Ad(294 Views)
About Ministry of Public Health
The Integrated Disease Surveillance and Response (IDSR) is a framework developed by the World Health Organization Regional Office for Africa (WHO/AFRO) in 1998 which now supports the IHR in over 50 countries (WHO, 2012). The goal of this strategy is to develop sufficient surveillance and response capacities at each level of national health systems so that a flexible national disease surveillance system emerges. In a national adaptation of the strategy, a country may focus on a few diseases depending on national resources and capacities before the system becomes more inclusive of other diseases and events including the chronic health conditions and non-communicable diseases (NCDs) of national and international priorities. It is expected that the IDSR strategy links community, health facility, district, province and national levels with the overall objective of providing epidemiological evidence for use in making timely decisions and implementing public health interventions for the control and prevention of diseases. The integrated approach recognizes the specialized needs of various disease control programs while capitalizing on opportunities for synergy. The integrated mechanism views surveillance as a multi-disease approach and a common public service using similar structures, processes and resources. It builds a system using existing resources by merging all existing surveillance activities into a national surveillance system with the aim of making it more effective and efficient. Furthermore, it facilitates the implementation of the International Health Regulations (IHR 2005) mandate in which all partner countries to have a robust surveillance and response system in place to provide immediate information on potential PHEICs (public health emergencies of international concern) to safeguard global health security.
Current Situation: Surveillance Structure and Functions
The general surveillance functions of the Ministry of Public Health (MoPH) for communicable diseases are carried out by the Disease Early Warning System (DEWS)/Surveillance Department in the Afghanistan at the central level in the ministry of public health Afghanistan. The Surveillance/DEWS is staffed by a team comprised of the Surveillance Director, managers, coordinators, officers, technical staff (dedicated personnel for zoonosis and influenza surveillance manager , data mangers, IT, ), coordinators, and other support staff.
The strengths of DEWS illustrate that in Afghanistan, fairly well developed health infrastructure and surveillance mechanisms currently exist for communicable diseases. Functional surveillance systems include (i) Disease Early Warning System (DEWS) as the main surveillance system for communicable diseases which is sentinel based and currently covers 16 health conditions in 550 sites; (ii) Multiple surveillance components for single-disease programs including Polio, TB, Malaria, EPI, HIV/ AIDS. Except for HIV/AIDS which is a different surveillance system altogether targeting high risk groups and antenatal cases and administers behavioral and other surveys, the surveillance systems for most of the single-disease control programs are population-based covering almost all the health-facilities in the country and reporting is mostly monthly. The polio control program has the most extensive surveillance network in the country with over 450 AFP Focal Points at the district level and close to 10,000 community health volunteers and has weekly AFP reporting and immediate polio reporting. The data collection system for most of the surveillance systems that currently exist for communicable diseases in the country are paper-based and built on vertical structures with different data collection instruments and reporting frequencies. The surveillance mechanism for Non-Communicable Diseases (NCDs), however, is poor and rudimentary and currently national efforts remain underway to develop the first comprehensive surveillance system for nutrition.
To support the MoPH for establishment of IDSR system
|Date Posted:||18 Oct 2016||Reference:||IDSR Int Tec Adv Re Ad|
|Closing Date:||25 Oct 2016||Work Type:||Full Time|
|Number of Vacancies:||1||Gender:||Any|
|Functional Area:||General||Open Ended:||NO|
|Nationality:||Any||Salary Range:||As per company salary scale|
|Contract Type:||Consultant||Years of Experience:||7 Year(s)|
|Contract Duration:||0 Year(s) & 5 Month(s)||Extension Possibility:||No|
|Probation Period:||1 Month|
Duties and Responsibilities
• Review the existence surveillance systems
• Technically support the advocacy and sensitization initiatives to ensure the support of policy makers, opinion leaders and partners , existence MOPH relevant programs on establishment and implementation of IDSR
• Facilitate the IDSR National Coordination committee on regular bases
• Provide technical inputs on Merging and harmonizing functionally all existing surveillance systems
• Introduce the IDSR relevant and effective data flow
• Modification and /or draft the case definitions for the disease /event under the IDSR
• Develop a technical manual and guideline/roadmap for establishing IDSR
• Guide the MOPH on the selecting the pilot province under IDSR
• Develop the national detail IDSR implementation/operational plan (2016-2018)
• To develop a training strategy for capacity development of the related departments on IDSR
• Develop and adopt IDSR training module
• Train a set of national core trainers on IDSR through TOT workshop
• Provide the program technical inputs and comments on the progress of IDSR implementation and propose recommendations
• Develop the IDSR data analysis framework/guideline , and variables
• Develop the weekly , semi-annual and annual IDSR report format
• Develop the monitoring and evaluation framework and indicators for IDSR
• International public health experience including disease surveillance
• Excellent knowledge of English
• Having Master degree in epidemiology or public health or relevant field, preferably Ph.D in mentioned fields.
• At least 7 years of working experience in epidemiology or related field
• Having working experience in the development of surveillance guideline , manual , SOPs, and training modules
• International public health experience including disease surveillance
• Excellent knowledge of English
Afghanistan - Kabul: PROVINCIAL CENTER (KABUL)
Masters Degree, General
(I) Electronic applications will be sent to:sub e-mail which corresponds if any of following 2 items is missing, your application will be considered as ineligible/incomplete.
1. In your emails please specify the title of the position as well as vacancy number for electronic submissions and please do the same in the hardcopy submissions.
2. Updated Curriculum vitae (CV)/Resume (Please attached your recent photo and mention in your CV exact date/periods of your work experience, graduation Day, Month, and Year).
If you are shortlisted and invited for written test/interview you will be required to present the original, the following:
A. Education Documents: Your recent education degree/diploma
Copy of verified Baccalaureate (12 passed) degree by Ministry of Education
Copy of verified 14 or 15 passed degree by related Ministries
Copy of verified Bachelor Degree by Ministry of Higher Education
Copy of verified Medical Doctor Degree by Ministry of Higher Education
Copy of verified Master degree by Ministry of Higher Education
B. Copy of National Identity Card (Tazkira: Only the pages that show picture and Tazkira number, pages, place of issue and date of issue)
• Electronic applications will be sent to:sub e-mail
• Hard copies will be sent to: HR Container, Second floor, at the Ministry of Public Health, Great Masoud Square Kabul Afghanistan.
• The Contact Person at Human Resources is: Mr. Mustafa Sirat, HR Officer, MoPH-GD HR. Phone number: 0093- (0)-794-217733
Only shortlisted candidates will be invited to written test/interview and subsequent process. Please contact the person in charge (Mr. Mustafa Sirat) for confirmation.
• No CVs will be accepted after the closing date.
• Any persuade will be threat as disqualification.
• Candidate who applies for the same position in last six months and was unsuccessful (Obtained less than 60% marks), will not be short listed.
• Fraudulent documents and or fraudulent claims in CVs and or documents will result in disqualification at any stage of the recruitment process.
|More jobs in this category|
|Aluminum Production manager at Mohib Advance Design Construction Company||Kabul||15 Dec 2016|
|English Techer/Instructor at Muslim English Language Programme||Multi Cities||30 Dec 2016|
|Tendering Senior Advisor for PPP Unit at Ministry of Public Health||Kabul||14 Dec 2016|
|Monitoring and Performance Advisor for PPP Un.. at Ministry of Public Hea..||Kabul||14 Dec 2016|
|Public Private Partnership Specialist at Tetra Tech -Women's Leadership D..||Kabul||13 Dec 2016|
|GIS Officer at UN-Habitat||Kabul||15 Dec 2016|
|VCA Team Leader at Joint Monitoring and Evaluation Committee(MEC)||Kabul||12 Dec 2016|
|Authors at Women and Peace Studies Organization||Kabul||10 Dec 2016|
|Reviewers at Women and Peace Studies Organization||Kabul||05 Dec 2016|
|صفاکار تخنیکی at DABS||Kabul||20 Dec 2016|
|Regional Coordinator at Afghanistan Microfinance Association (AMA)||Herat||13 Dec 2016|
|Regional Coordinator at Afghanistan Microfinance Association (AMA)||Balkh||13 Dec 2016|
|Regional Coordinator at Afghanistan Microfinance Association (AMA)||Kabul||13 Dec 2016|
|Project Officer at Afghanistan Microfinance Association (AMA)||Kabul||10 Dec 2016|
|Office Cleaner at Afghanistan Microfinance Association (AMA)||Kabul||13 Dec 2016|
|Project Officer at Afghanistan National Participation Organization||Kabul||08 Dec 2016|
|کارگرفنی at DABS||Baghlan||10 Dec 2016|
|شفتکار بند آب at DABS||Kabul||15 Dec 2016|
|Project Evaluation and Coordination Manager at MOIA||Kabul||06 Dec 2016|
|Head of Reporting and Relations Department at MOIA||Kabul||06 Dec 2016|
|Head of MoUs and Agreements at MOIA||Kabul||06 Dec 2016|
|Head of Consultant Coordination Department at MOIA||Kabul||06 Dec 2016|
|Document Translation Manager at MOIA||Kabul||06 Dec 2016|
|Data base Manager at MOIA||Kabul||06 Dec 2016|
|Cooperation for Higher Education at MOIA||Kabul||06 Dec 2016|
|Information Assistant at U.S. Embassy||Kabul||09 Dec 2016|
|Graphic Designer at Afghanistan Reliable Technology Services [ ARTS ]||Kabul||05 Dec 2016|
|Cultural Affairs Specialist FSN-10 at U.S. Embassy||Kabul||05 Dec 2016|
|Pre-School and Grades 1-3 Teachers at Afghanistan International School||Nangarhar||10 Dec 2016|
|Cook/ Cleaner at IDS Afghanistan||Herat||05 Dec 2016|
|Executive Assistant at Joint Monitoring and Evaluation Committee(MEC)||Kabul||02 Dec 2016|
|Cost Controller at Joint Monitoring and Evaluation Committee(MEC)||Kabul||02 Dec 2016|
|Lead Consultant for a corruption vulnerabilit.. at Joint Monitoring and E..||Kabul||06 Dec 2016|
|Senior, Experienced Education consultant for .. at Joint Monitoring and E..||Kabul||06 Dec 2016|
|Team Leader for the IT at Ghani Consultancy Services||Kabul||09 Dec 2016|
|Project Manager (National Single Windows for .. at Ghani Consultancy Serv..||Kabul||09 Dec 2016|
|Anti-Fraud Security Investigator FSN-09 at U.S. Embassy||Kabul||31 Dec 2016|