WASH Cluster Co-Chair(858 Views)
DACAAR is a non governmental, humanitarian organization that supports sustainable development in Afghanistan through promoting the ability of local communities to decide upon and manage their own development process. The organisation employs around 600 staff of whom 05 are expatriates. Core thematic areas are: Water, Sanitation & Hygiene; Natural Resource Management; Small Scale Enterprise Development; Women’s Empowerment.
WASH Co-chair leads at the country level are accountable to the Director of DACAAR and WASH Cluster Coordinator for facilitating a process at the sectoral level aimed at ensuring the following:
|Date Posted:||15 Nov 2016||Reference:||EX-004/2016|
|Closing Date:||30 Nov 2016||Work Type:||Full Time|
|Number of Vacancies:||1||Gender:||Any|
|Functional Area:||Engineering||Open Ended:||NO|
|Nationality:||International||Salary Range:||As per NTA Salary Scale Policy|
|Contract Type:||Fixed-term||Years of Experience:||10 Year(s)|
|Contract Duration:||1 Year(s) & 0 Month(s)||Extension Possibility:||Yes|
Duties and Responsibilities
1. Inclusion of key humanitarian partners
• Ensure inclusion of key humanitarian partners for the WASH sector by promoting the Cluster goals and objectives and respecting partner agencies mandates and programme priorities.
• Assist WASH Cluster Coordinator to carry out Cluster Coordination Performance Monitoring (CCPM) with active participation of Cluster partners.
2. Establishment and maintenance of appropriate humanitarian coordination mechanisms within WASH cluster and related government agencies
• Ensure appropriate coordination with all humanitarian partners (including national and international NGOs, Afghanistan Red Cross Society, OCHA, UNHCR, UNICEF, WHO, IOM and other international organizations), through establishment/ maintenance of appropriate sectoral coordination mechanisms, including working groups at the national and, sub-national levels, where applicable. .
• Secure commitments from humanitarian partners in assessing and responding the needs and needs and filling gaps, ensuring an appropriate distribution of responsibilities within the WASH Cluster working Groups, with clearly defined focal points for specific issues where necessary.
• Provide strong support to WASH Cluster Coordinator for identifying the humanitarian gaps and to promote emergency response actions while at the same time considering the need for early recovery planning as well as prevention and risk reduction concerns;
• Ensure effective links with other sectoral groups including the Inter Cluster Coordination Team (ICCT).
• Ensure that sectoral coordination mechanisms are adapted over time to reflect the capacities of local actors and the engagement of development partners.
• Represent the interests of the sectoral group in discussions with the OCHA and other stakeholders on prioritization, resource mobilization and advocacy.
3. Coordination with national/local authorities, Government institutions, local civil society and other relevant actors
• Ensure that humanitarian response preparedness are build on national capacities.
• Provide support to WASH Cluster Coordinator to ensure appropriate links with national and sub-national authorities, Government institutions, local civil society and other relevant actors and ensure appropriate coordination and information exchange with them.
• Support capacity building initiative to ensure utilization of Household Emergency Assessment Tool (HEAT) properly by all WASH partners including government.
4. Attention to priority on cross-cutting issues
• Ensure integration of agreed priority cross-cutting issues in sectoral needs assessment, analysis, planning, monitoring and response (e.g. age, diversity, environment, gender, disability, disaster risk reduction); contribute to the development of appropriate strategies to address these issues.
5. Needs assessment and analysis
Play a strong role in ensuring effective and coherent sectoral needs assessments and gap analysis, involving all relevant partners.
6. National capacity building through enhanced preparedness & contingency
planning at provincial level
• Working with Cluster Coordinator, play lead role in developing contingency planning and preparedness at sub-national (provincial) level in order to keep the WASH sector fully prepared for new emergencies including propositioning of contingency stock in high risk Support capacity gap analysis at national and provincial level and develop and implement plans to fill the capacity gaps, especially that of PRRD emergency focal points.
7. Planning and strategy development
Provided support to WASH Cluster Coordinator to ensure predictable action within the sectoral group for the following:
• Identification of gaps;
• Developing/updating agreed response strategies and action plans for the sector and ensuring that these are adequately reflected in overall country strategies, such as the Humanitarian Needs Review (HNR) and Humanitarian Response Plan (HRP).
• Drawing lessons learned from past activities and disseminating to WASH cluster partner for the improvement.
8. Application of standards
• Ensure that WASH Cluster members are aware of relevant policy guidelines, technical standards and relevant commitments that the Government has undertaken under international human rights law;
• Ensure that responses are in line with existing policy guidance, technical standards, and relevant Government human rights legal obligations.
9. Monitoring and reporting
• Ensure that partners provide periodic information to Cluster on emergency response, needs assessment and gaps including the timely submission of quarterly progress report and stock status.
• Support Cluster Coordinator on timely reporting and effective information sharing to UNHCT and OCHA on response, needs assessment and sectoral gaps.
Lead the rollout of HEAT survey tools training to national and provincial WASH partners ensuring that the partners are capable of using the tool effectively;
• In close coordination with Cluster Coordinator, lead the provincial contingency planning process ensuring that 10 -12 high risk provinces have contingency plan developed;
• Develop the drawing and design for WASH in emergency components to be included in the Afghanistan WASH Emergency Guidelines;
• Play a strong role in preliminary steps of the 2017 Humanitarian Needs Overview and development of the Humanitarian Response plan.
• Provide hands on support to national WASH Cluster Co-chair in building coordination capacity in order to accelerate the cluster responsibility transition plan.
Travels to Provinces
Require Travels to Provinces
Education: Advanced University Master degree in areas of WASH e.g. Civil Engineering, Sanitary Engineering or Development Planning.
Experience: Ten (10) years of professional work experience in WASH with more than 2 years experience in Afghanistan in emergency response.
Other qualifications’ an advantage:
• Knowledge of WASH sector as a whole and its priority issues; an ability to strategize how these sectoral needs are met through collective delivery.
• Knowledge of humanitarian response principles and commitments, international humanitarian law, inter-connectedness and reform pillars & reform updates.
• Knowledge of the Cluster approach guidelines and terms of reference (and skill on how to apply them).
• Ability to mitigate and mediate conflict and disagreements among cluster partners.
• Ability to work in team and forge good working relationship including exchange of information and knowledge.
• Communication, advocacy, analytical and facilitation training/mentoring skills.
• Good knowledge of computer management and applications i.e. word processing, spreadsheets, databases and presentation tools.
• Ability to work in an international and multi-cultural environment and sensitive to social cultural differences and diversity.
Languages: Fluent English both written and Oral
Afghanistan - Kabul: PROVINCIAL CENTER (KABUL)
Masters Degree, Engineering
Procedure for submission of applications:
Interested and qualified candidates should submit a DACAAR Job Application Form along with introduction letter and CV online to
or a Hard copy to HR Department in DACAAR main office Kabul.
DACAAR is an equal opportunity employer. We welcome applications from all sections of the society. While all applicants will be strictly assessed on their individual merit, qualified women, people with disabilities and members of minority communities are especially encouraged to apply.
Kabul Office Address:
DACAAR, Main Office, Paikob-e-Naswar, Wazirabad, Kabul, Afghanistan
Postal address: Central P.O. Box 208, Kabul, Afghanistan
Phone: (+93) 0202230752/ (+93) 0202230753
Web site: www.dacaar.org
|More jobs in this category|
|Road Estimation Engineer at State Corps||Kabul||10 Apr 2017|
|Project Manager - Vertical Structures at State Corps||Kabul||08 Apr 2017|
|Vertical Structures Estimator at State Corps||Kabul||07 Apr 2017|
|GIS Specialist at Kabul Municipality||Kabul||09 Apr 2017|
|Assistant Engineer at DACAAR||Multi Cities||09 Apr 2017|
|Field Engineer at DACAAR||Multi Cities||08 Apr 2017|
|Engineer, Technical Assistant (Civil) at Global Technology||Multi Cities||27 Mar 2017|
|Lead Engineer Assistant at Global Technology||Multi Cities||27 Mar 2017|
|Engineer, Technical Assistant (Mechanical) at Global Technology||Multi Cities||27 Mar 2017|
|Project Engineer Assistant (PE) at Global Technology||Multi Cities||27 Mar 2017|
|Engineering Technician Assistant at Global Technology||Multi Cities||27 Mar 2017|
|Solid Waste Management Specialist at Capital Region Independent Developme..||Kabul||24 Mar 2017|
|Construction/Irrigation & Monitoring Engineer at AAIP ( Ministry of Agric..||Multi Cities||25 Mar 2017|
|مدیر پروژه - میمنه at Afghanistan Urban Water Supply and Se..||Faryab||25 Mar 2017|
|مدیر پروژه - سمنگان at Afghanistan Urban Water Supply and ..||Samangan||25 Mar 2017|
|مدیر پروژه - شبرغان at Afghanistan Urban Water Supply and ..||Jawzjan||25 Mar 2017|
|مدیر پروژه - چاریکار at Afghanistan Urban Water Supply an..||Parwan||25 Mar 2017|
|Deputy Project Manager & QC(Quality Controlle.. at (MCG ) Mumtaz Construc..||Kabul||25 Mar 2017|
|Water Supply Foreman at (MCG ) Mumtaz Construction Group||Kabul||25 Mar 2017|
|Water Supply Foreman at (MCG ) Mumtaz Construction Group||Kabul||25 Mar 2017|
|Project Manager at Da Maidan Zawahnono Construction Company (DMZCC)||Wardak||31 Mar 2017|
|project manager at Da Maidan Zawahnono Construction Company (DMZCC)||Multi Cities||31 Mar 2017|
|Site Engineer at PG Global Group||Multi Cities||31 May 2017|