Lead Consultant for a corruption vulnerability analysis in the Afghan Ministry of Education(535 Views)
About Joint Monitoring and Evaluation Committee(MEC)
MEC (www.mec.af) was created after the need for independent monitoring and evaluation of anti-corruption efforts was identified at a series of international conferences. MEC is wholly independent of the Government of Afghanistan, and receives financial support from the International Community. This independence ensures that MEC is capable of carrying out its mandate in a transparent manner without undue influence. The governing Committee, which is made up of 3 Afghan and 3 international Anti-Corruption Experts, meets in Afghanistan quarterly, normally resulting in the setting of recommendations and benchmarks. MEC issues regular reports every six months, with interim reports being issued on an ad hoc basis.
The primary responsibility of the Consultant will be to lead MEC’s wide-ranging analysis of the corruption vulnerability of the Afghan Ministry of Education (MOE) operations in Kabul and selected provinces. This is an exciting, ground-breaking study on a difficult but crucial topic, which is hugely reducing the effectiveness of education of children across the country. The analysis is being conducted with the full support of the Education Minister.
The analysis will be the first comprehensive analysis of the corruption vulnerabilities across the entire MOE, including an assessment of the corruption vulnerabilities in the provision of services, legal and institutional frameworks, key functions, interaction with the main stakeholders of the education sector, human-resources systems, internal oversight and audit regime, information-management systems, and management and leadership – all with a focus on corruption and practical measures to mitigate such corruption. The MVCA will also look at ways to improve public service delivery via reduced corruption, enhance integrity in the education sector and enable external stakeholders to more effectively fight corruption. The work will mostly proceed via semi-structured interviews, but will also involve analysis of the institutional, policy and legal arrangements of the MOE, investigating the experiences of donors, and desk research on the many corruption issues that have happened in the MOE, and analysis.
|Date Posted:||16 Nov 2016||Reference:||004MEC|
|Closing Date:||06 Dec 2016||Work Type:||Full Time|
|Number of Vacancies:||1||Gender:||Any|
|Functional Area:||General||Open Ended:||NO|
|Nationality:||Salary Range:||As per company salary scale|
|Contract Type:||Short Term||Years of Experience:||15 Year(s)|
|Contract Duration:||0 Year(s) & 7 Month(s)||Extension Possibility:||No|
Duties and Responsibilities
• The Consultant will work closely with and be assisted by a two teams of supporting consultants and MEC Secretariat staff, each of 4-5 people.
• The project will take place between January 2017 and August 2017 (expected completion date). The Consultant will be required to be present in Kabul for much of that time, though some work will be able to be done from home.
• Upon arrival to Kabul, the Consultant will review assembled documentation and conduct an initial analysis – in conjunction with the MOE and MEC – to determine the scope, detailed methodology, required resources and work plan of the project, within the first three weeks.
• The consultant will then lead the teams in doing the work – much of which will be interviews and focus groups – collating the results, analyzing their meaning and developing the findings.
• Over the final months, the Consultant will finalize – as the primary author – the Report (in English, and with accompanying recommendations) that MEC will issue, entitled, “Vulnerability to Corruption Assessment in the Afghan Ministry of Education.”
• The Consultant will not be expected to complete, nor be reimbursed for, any tasks performed outside of his or her expected work-days.
• The final number of working days will likely range from 100-120, depending on the agreed-upon timeframe and schedule of the Consultant, supporting consultants, and MEC Team.
• The format, content, and length of the Special Report can be changed at any time with the approval of the MEC Executive Director.
• Refining the scope of the project by designing a research methodology that will accurately assess MOE’s vulnerabilities to corruption.
• Assigning data-collection, report-writing, and any other tasks to the MEC Officers working on this project.
• Designing tools (questionnaires) to collect information from the MOE staff via interviews, document analysis, and the review of quantitative data.
• Writing the final In-Depth Report (in English) and proposing recommendations to address problems identified therein
A detailed project outline is available on request
1) Analysis Methodology and detailed work plan
2) Interim Report at the end of the interview phase
3) Final Report, with recommendations
4) Follow up to explain the report and the findings within the Ministry
The Consultant must have the following qualifications:
• Advanced university degree in education or a related field;
• A minimum of fifteen years of experience in project management in politicized environments,
• Research and written reports focusing on large sectors or ministries, with a prior record of professional publications;
• Prior international experience, preferably in conflict or post-conflict environments, with a preference for experience in Afghanistan;
• Knowledge of internationally accepted norms and standards in anti-corruption and integrity in the education sector;
• Ability to work independently with minimal supervision
• Ability to effectively lead a team in a challenging, multi-cultural and fast-paced environment;
• Ability to work in a politicized environment on a highly sensitive topic
• Native-level oral and written English required, including the ability to write sophisticated reports in English;
• Dari and/or Pashto language skills are not essential, but would be a significant asset.
The Consultant will report to the MEC Executive Director.
Applications from both international education experts and Afghan education experts are welcomed.
Afghanistan - Kabul
Candidates can apply for the position by sending their cover letter and CV in one PDF or Microsoft Word document, named in the following way: "LAST_NAME_first_name.pdf" or "LAST_NAME_first_name.doc." Supplementary documents - degrees, certificates, etc. - should not be sent at this time. The single PDF or Word file should be emailed to Submission e-mail with the subject line "Lead Consultant for MOE VCA” by Dec 06, 2016.
|More jobs in this category|
|Subcontract Specialist at American University of Afghanistan||Kabul||06 Feb 2017|
|Project Officer at Emerging Leaders Consulting Services||Kabul||02 Feb 2017|
|Plumber/Mechanic at RIZ Conslting Services||Kabul||10 Feb 2017|
|Maintenance Officer/Store Keeper at RIZ Conslting Services||Kabul||10 Feb 2017|
|Senior Officer for SIAs Operation at National.. at RIZ Conslting Services||Kabul||10 Feb 2017|
|kandahar School Engagement Focal Point at Reg.. at RIZ Conslting Services||Kandahar||10 Feb 2017|
|Provincial EQUIP Officer at Ministry of Education (MoE)||Paktika||01 Feb 2017|
|Master Trainer – Project Management at Emerging Leaders Consulting Serv..||Kabul||31 Jan 2017|
|Security Receptionist at UN-Habitat||Kabul||31 Jan 2017|
|Technology Consultant at The Asia Foundation||Kabul||28 Jan 2017|
|Procurement Specialist for PMO/MoMP at PMO||Kabul||28 Jan 2017|
|oxford manger at Shams London Academy||Kabul||08 Feb 2017|
|مدیر تدریسی at Shams London Academy||Multi Cities||08 Feb 2017|
|Finance Manager at Shams London Academy||Multi Cities||08 Feb 2017|
|Cleaner at Shams London Academy||Multi Cities||08 Feb 2017|
|ادمیشن افسر at Shams London Academy||Khost||08 Feb 2017|
|Admission Officer at Shams London Academy||Multi Cities||08 Feb 2017|
|Admin Manager at Shams London Academy||Multi Cities||08 Feb 2017|
|English and TOEFL iBT instructors at Emerging Leaders Consulting Services||Kabul||31 Jan 2017|
|Hydro geologist at DACAAR||Kabul||31 Jan 2017|
|Cook/ Cleaner at Control Union Inspections Ltd.||Kabul||25 Jan 2017|
|معتمد جنسی at DABS||Baghlan||05 Feb 2017|
|Data Archiving and IT Assistant at UNESCO Kabul||Kabul||31 Jan 2017|
|کارمند خدماتی at Ministry of Public Health||Herat||30 Jan 2017|
|Re-Announce -Recruitment Assistant at DABS||Kabul||25 Jan 2017|
|Health Care Waste Management (HCWM) Adviser at Ministry of Public Health||Kabul||29 Jan 2017|
|Commerce and Trade Specialist (National) at Afghanistan Capacity Building..||Kabul||29 Jan 2017|
|Head of Program Management Information System at MPW-NRAP inc||Kabul||31 Jan 2017|
|Senior Hydro Geologist at DACAAR||Kabul||28 Jan 2017|
|Finance Consultant at Ministry of Public Health||Kabul||29 Jan 2017|
|رئیس پلان وقوانین at Ministry of Public Health||Kabul||25 Jan 2017|
|رئیس مراقبت های صحی کوچی .. at Ministry of Public Hea..||Kabul||25 Jan 2017|
|رئیس اقتصاد وتمویل صحت at Ministry of Public Health||Kabul||25 Jan 2017|
|Program Management Specialist FSN - 10 at U.S. Embassy||Kabul||26 Jan 2017|
|Gardener FSN - 02 at U.S. Embassy||Kabul||26 Jan 2017|
|Internal Audit Officer at HEDP / MoHE||Kabul||31 Jan 2017|
|Guard at Saudi Arabia Embassy||Kabul||10 Feb 2017|
|Servant (خادمه) at Saudi Arabia Embassy||Kabul||10 Feb 2017|
|Coffee Maker(قهوه ساز) at Saudi Arabia Embassy||Kabul||10 Feb 2017|
|Sr. Gender Advisor at UN-Habitat||Kabul||31 Jan 2017|
|ARCHITECT FSN - 10 at U.S. Embassy||Kabul||24 Jan 2017|
|Business Development Head at Afghan Global Insurance||Kabul||25 Jan 2017|
|Cashier at DABS||Kabul||23 Jan 2017|
|کارآموزی/کارآموزی حرفه ی.. at USAID Promote: Women i..||Multi Cities||12 Apr 2018|
|کار زده کړه/حرفوي زده کړه at USAID Promote: Women in ..||Multi Cities||12 Apr 2018|
|Intern/Apprentice at USAID Promote: Women in the Economy||Kabul||16 May 2018|