M&E Specialist(1125 Views)
About OFWMP / MAIL
The Ministry of Agriculture, Irrigation and Livestock is implementing “On Farm Water Management (OFWM)” Project, financed by the Afghanistan Reconstruction Trust Fund (ARTF), in five (5) regions, namely: Kabul, Nangarhar (Jalalabad), Balkh (Mazar-i-Sharif), Baghlan and Heart.
The overall development objective (PDO) of the OFWM-Project is to improve agricultural productivity in the Project Areas by enhancing the efficiency of water used.
A Kabul-based Project Management Unit (PMU) headed by the Project Manager, with the assistance of Core Team of Specialists, is responsible for execution of the project. Five Area Teams: one each in Kabul, Nangarhar (Jalalabad), Mazar-i-Sharif (Balkh), Bamyan and Heart, have been established for implementation of field activities.
The project started its implementation from March, 2011 for a period of 3 years and is being monitored by Worlds Bank. The project closing date has recently been extended up to April 2016. The project has received additional fund from the World Bank (the Bank) and the period of the OFWMP has been extended to December 2019.
Part A: On-Farm Water Management
1. Carrying out social mobilization for the establishment of Irrigation Associations (IAs) in the Project Areas, including, inter alia, the provision of: (a) training to communities in organization and management of IAs; (b) facilitation services for communities to develop the IAs’ internal legal rules and regulations (by-laws); (c) assistance to IAs in order for them to be registered under the Water Law (1388); and (d) technical training to IAs regarding water distribution, maintenance of irrigation infrastructure, irrigation methods, water-saving techniques, crop-water requirements, and good agronomic practices.
2. (a) Carrying out rehabilitation works to small irrigation schemes or tertiary canals (watercourses) covering approximately 40,000 hectares in total in the Project Areas, including, inter alia: (a) rehabilitation of existing intakes, (b) canal lining; (c) construction of control structures and outlets; (d) construction of, culverts, laundry basins and cattle troughs; and
(b) Improving design standards and strengthening the private sector’s capacity for contract management and construction techniques.
3. Establishing easily accessible pilot irrigation demonstration sites in the Project Areas to showcase improved water management practices/technology and agronomic water saving techniques/measures, as well as proper farm planning and layout for an efficient use of irrigation water.
Part B: Institutional Strengthening and Capacity Building of MAIL
Developing the institutional capacity of MAIL to plan, design, implement and monitor irrigation programs, including, inter alia: (a) construction and/or renovation of office buildings, one each in Kabul, Jalalabad, Baghlan, Mazar-e-Sharif and Herat, respectively for MAIL and Project staff; (b) strengthening of MAIL’s Directorate of Irrigation at national, provincial and district levels; (c) strengthening the legal framework for the irrigation sector, (d) developing a national irrigation program, (e) undertaking of technical training in the irrigation sector including study tours transferring on-farm water management know-how; and (f) developing a database covering irrigation systems throughout the country.
Part C: Project Management, Coordination, Monitoring & Evaluation
Strengthening the institutional capacity of MAIL for Project implementation, policy development, and technical innovation, monitoring and evaluation, by establishing and maintaining a Project Implementation Unit comprised of a Kabul-based core team, five (5) Project Area Teams and internationally recruited experts.
Part D: Support for Productivity Enhancement
1. Establishing easily accessible pilot irrigation demonstration sites in the Project Area to showcase improved water management practices/technology and agronomic water saving techniques/measures, improved agronomic and social management practices, as well as proper farm planning and layout for an efficient use of irrigation water.
2. Promoting land leveling and high-efficiency irrigation technologies in the Project Area.
3. Establishing Information Centers for farmers at the provincial and district level in the Project Area.
|Date Posted:||19 Nov 2016||Reference:||MAIL/OFWMP/26|
|Closing Date:||30 Nov 2016||Work Type:||Full Time|
|Number of Vacancies:||1||Gender:||Any|
|Functional Area:||Agriculture||Open Ended:||NO|
|Nationality:||Afghan||Salary Range:||As per NTA Salary Scale Policy|
|Contract Type:||Service Contract||Years of Experience:||5 Year(s)|
|Contract Duration:||1 Year(s) & 0 Month(s)||Extension Possibility:||Yes|
|Probation Period:||3 Months|
Duties and Responsibilities
The Economist (M&E Specialist) will participate in the selection of the project areas and in conducting the field surveys of the project sites in which she/he will be responsible for the establishment of a Monitoring and Evaluation System as well as the financial analysis (estimate) of the proposed interventions by the team members. She/he will report to the Project Manager of the OFWM project.
His/her responsibilities will include but not limited to:
• To develop questionnaires for baseline, mid-term and impact evaluation survey and translate them into local languages-Dari and Pashto.
• Guide M&E officers at 5 regions on the selection process of the project areas and sites
• Design, in cooperation with the team members, a M&E system for progress, effect and impact monitoring
• To develop format for, preparing reporting, and completion of plan/progress of various project activities
• To collect, compile and analyze the data regarding different components/activities against project target envisaged project objectives
• To establish a framework for involving beneficiary communities in the M&E process and internalizing beneficiary feedback in project implementation path
• Train and guide M&E officers for regularly monitor from construction of irrigation schemes
• To lead the field staff in collection of periodic/seasonal data planning field activities, project review, impact assessment etc.Coordinate with the other team members on the data collection for the purpose of M&E system
• Work closely with MIS system developer, to develop a proper data base for M&E section, for recording the baseline, mid-term and project impact surveys data.
• Prepare report to show outcome in project area against project development project objective
• Develop a system of data cleaning and verification
• Develop a proper methodology to document Irrigation Association in-kind contribution in the actual rehabilitation work of the irrigation schemes at all 5 regions.
• ,Train M&E officers for collection of basic data required for the estimation of the financial feasibility of the proposed interventions
• Work closely with the M&E firm to capture indicators in the baseline, and to analyze baseline data and report the findings of the survey.
• Analyze the financial feasibility of the proposed interventions
• Prepare yearly plan of operations for M&E data collection
• Perform any other assigned duty
Travels to Provinces
Require Travels to Provinces
The candidate must have achieved Bachelor degree in agro-Economic, Agriculture, Economics or related field from a recognized university is essential. A master degree in the above mentioned subjects will be preferred with at least 5 years of experience in M&E in irrigated agriculture as well as in cost benefit analysis of the projects. Major achievement in career may substitute for long experience and educational requirements.
Demonstrated knowledge and experience in M&E in irrigated agriculture
Demonstrated knowledge of financial feasibility analysis
Ability to develop M & E system from its scratch
Ability to express ideas concisely and clearly preferably in both English and Pashto/Dari
Writing skills and demonstrated ability to develop written reports and action plans in both in English and Dari
Considerable interpersonal skills, including the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with others in an international multi-cultural working environment
Considerable experience and demonstrated ability to serve the public in a courteous and professional manner
Afghanistan - Kabul: PROVINCIAL CENTER (KABUL)
Bachelors Degree, Agriculture
Send your CV to:
On-Farm Water Management Project, MAIL, Pamir Building 7th floor.
Ministry of Agriculture, Irrigation and Livestock,
Address: Kabul University Road, Kabul, Afghanistan
Note: No resume will be taken under consideration without having a cover letter.
Only shortlisted candidates will be called for written test .
The Subject Line Must be vacancy number
|More jobs in this category|
|Dairy Officer at CARD-F||Herat||02 Jun 2017|
|Young Professional Consultant at SNaPP2-MAIL||Multi Cities||06 Jun 2017|
|Poultry Officer at CARD-F||Kabul||02 Jun 2017|
|Saffron Development National Committee Assist.. at Ministry of Agricultur..||Kabul||06 Jun 2017|
|Project Manager at FINCA Afghanistan||Kabul||30 May 2017|
|Agronomist at FINCA Afghanistan||Multi Cities||30 May 2017|
|Data Entry Clerk at OFWMP / MAIL||Kabul||02 Jun 2017|
|Field Technical Extension Worker at Ministry of Agriculture Irrigation an..||Multi Cities||04 Jun 2017|
|Senior Agriculture Expert at Chief Advisor to The President On Agricultur..||Kabul||05 Jun 2017|
|Admin/Finance Officer at OFWMP / MAIL||Baghlan||05 Jun 2017|
|Dairy Project Manager at Agroindust Inc.||Balkh||30 May 2017|
|Urban Greenery Technicians & Rangers at Ministry of Agriculture Irrigatio..||Kabul||28 May 2017|
|Agribusiness Management Instructor/Lecturer at Ministry of Higher Educati..||Multi Cities||03 Jun 2017|