VCA Team Leader(490 Views)
About Joint Monitoring and Evaluation Committee(MEC)
MEC (www.mec.af) was created after the need for independent monitoring and evaluation of anti-corruption efforts was identified at a series of international conferences. MEC is wholly independent of the Government of Afghanistan, and receives financial support from the international community. This independence ensures that MEC is capable of carrying out its mandate in a transparent manner without undue influence. The governing Committee, which is made up of 3 Afghan and 3 international anti-corruption experts, meets in Afghanistan quarterly, normally resulting in the setting of recommendations and benchmarks. MEC issues regular reports every three months, with interim reports being issued regularly. The Committee is supported by a technical secretariat of national and international staff led by an Executive Director who is supported by a Technical Director.
The Vulnerability to Corruption Assessments (VCAs) Team Leader is responsible for the overall implementation of multiple vulnerability to corruption assessments of identified sectors and institutions in Afghanistan, including desk studies, qualitative and quantitative data collection, analysis, recommendation development, and report writing. The objectives of the assessments are to identify key vulnerabilities to corruption in selected business processes and to develop options to mitigate vulnerabilities to corruption. The Team Leader will supervise and oversee 6 VCA officers and assistants who are permanent staff members. In addition, he/she will provide technical and institutional support annually to four teams of VCA consultants who will be hired for a short-term period of usually four to six months. In the latter case, a lead consultant who will be reporting to the team leader will supervise the team of consultants. The VCA team leader will report to the Technical Director.
The VCA team leader lead on the design of the methodology, work plan and data collection methods, determine the scope of the desk research, develop an understanding of the business processes and institutional architecture of the targeted institutions or sectors, ensure data is recorded and stored properly, defines SMART recommendations in order to ensure anticorruption reforms within targeted institutions, write up reports, and assist in their dissemination and manage the allocation of resources related to the VCA unit work.
|Date Posted:||29 Nov 2016||Reference:||0012MEC|
|Closing Date:||12 Dec 2016||Work Type:||Full Time|
|Number of Vacancies:||1||Gender:||Any|
|Functional Area:||General||Open Ended:||NO|
|Nationality:||Afghan||Salary Range:||As per company salary scale|
|Contract Type:||Long-term||Years of Experience:||8 Year(s)|
|Contract Duration:||1 Year(s) & 0 Month(s)||Extension Possibility:||Yes|
Duties and Responsibilities
1. Design of VCA projects
• Assist the Committee in prioritizing selected institutions and sectors to confirm their suitability for a VCA based on specific selection criteria developed for this purpose.
• Adapt and design the VCA methodology to address the unique circumstances of the selected sectors and institutions. Find innovative ways of collecting the information on different aspects of the targeted institutions or processes.
• Develop or lead on development of specific operational plans for each assessment based on methodology.
• Identify the capacities needed to conduct the assessments and develop the terms of references required.
• Help design data collection tools such as questionnaires, question guides, databases etc.
2. Desk study
• Conduct a document review of existing legal and institutional frameworks in place for the relevant business process, including a thorough, rigorous and critical review of all existing laws, regulations, policies, audits, publicly available data, evaluation reports and academic articles.
• Identify assumption about vulnerabilities for validation when primary data is collected.
3. Business processes
• Identify key steps of each business process, including key decision makers, responsibilities and the tools to hold them accountable, interaction with customers, information and accessibility of services to customers etc.
• Map the business processes identifying gaps and areas that may be vulnerable to corruption.
4. Institutional architecture
• Collect qualitative data by conducting semi-structured interviews and/or focus groups with all major actors in the sector or institution being assessed to identify where the possibilities for corruption and undesirable practices exist.
• Conduct interviews or focus groups with practitioners and specialists in the sectors coming from government, non-government, or international agencies and clients of the business process.
5. Data recording, analysis and recommendation development
• Develop and maintain detailed notes of all interviews, focus group discussions, and provide summaries or key findings that are of publishable quality for inclusion on the final report.
• Collect the evidence and supporting documents for specific cases or examples that may appear in the report
• Analyze the data collected and summarize key findings, and develop SMART recommendations to mitigate the vulnerabilities to corruption.
• Validate the assessment of vulnerabilities and the mitigation options through group discussions and finalize a mitigation plan on that basis.
• Verify and rank the levels of vulnerabilities based on priorities of reform and resources needed to mitigate the vulnerabilities.
6. Writing and dissemination
• Compile reports of publishable quality including the results of the desk study, the qualitative assessment, and analysis and recommendations for mitigation.
• Write up summaries or sections from the findings of VCA for the MEC quarterly report or other reports
• Help draft press releases, media advisories, success stories and other dissemination material in consultation with the Head of Communications and Advocacy related to the VCAs
• Take part in public debates or discussions with stakeholders to help disseminate the reports, present the reports to a variety of audiences
7. Managerial responsibilities
• Manage, supervise, guide, recruit, train, mentor and appraise the performance of human resources dedicated to the conduct of VCAs in accordance with the HR manual.
• Report regularly to the technical director and quarterly to the executive director in order to fulfill the quarterly reporting requirement of the Committee
• Develop proposals and budget in consultation with the technical director or the executive director if required.
• Any other task that maybe required within the management.
Education and Experience:
At least a master degree in a political science, public administration, public policy, law, economics or other such technical fields
At least 8 years of professional experience requiring analytic skills.
At least 4 years of experience conducting research, evaluations or policy drafting
Proven record of academic or policy writing
At least 2 years in managing technical teams of 6 people or more.
Expertise in anti-corruption will be an advantage
Proven knowledge of Afghan political, administrative and legal environment.
Fluent written and oral Dari or Pashtun and English skills.
Proficient use of Excel, Microsoft Office, multi-tasking skills, and the ability to consistently meet deadlines.
Afghanistan - Kabul
Candidates can apply for the position by sending their cover letter and CV in one PDF or Microsoft Word document, named in the following way:
"LAST_NAME_first_name.pdf" or "LAST_NAME_first_name.doc." Supplementary documents - degrees, certificates, etc. - should not be sent at this stage.
The single PDF or Word file should be emailed to
with the subject line "VCA Team Leader" by December 12, 2016.
MEC is an equal opportunity employer. Female are highly encourage to apply
|More jobs in this category|
|Security Receptionist at UN-Habitat||Kabul||31 Jan 2017|
|Technology Consultant at The Asia Foundation||Kabul||28 Jan 2017|
|Procurement Specialist for PMO/MoMP at PMO||Kabul||28 Jan 2017|
|oxford manger at Shams London Academy||Kabul||08 Feb 2017|
|مدیر تدریسی at Shams London Academy||Multi Cities||08 Feb 2017|
|Finance Manager at Shams London Academy||Multi Cities||08 Feb 2017|
|Cleaner at Shams London Academy||Multi Cities||08 Feb 2017|
|ادمیشن افسر at Shams London Academy||Khost||08 Feb 2017|
|Admission Officer at Shams London Academy||Multi Cities||08 Feb 2017|
|Admin Manager at Shams London Academy||Multi Cities||08 Feb 2017|
|English and TOEFL iBT instructors at Emerging Leaders Consulting Services||Kabul||31 Jan 2017|
|Hydro geologist at DACAAR||Kabul||31 Jan 2017|
|Cook/ Cleaner at Control Union Inspections Ltd.||Kabul||25 Jan 2017|
|معتمد جنسی at DABS||Baghlan||05 Feb 2017|
|Data Archiving and IT Assistant at UNESCO Kabul||Kabul||31 Jan 2017|
|کارمند خدماتی at Ministry of Public Health||Herat||30 Jan 2017|
|Re-Announce -Recruitment Assistant at DABS||Kabul||25 Jan 2017|
|Health Care Waste Management (HCWM) Adviser at Ministry of Public Health||Kabul||29 Jan 2017|
|Commerce and Trade Specialist (National) at Afghanistan Capacity Building..||Kabul||29 Jan 2017|
|Head of Program Management Information System at MPW-NRAP inc||Kabul||31 Jan 2017|
|Senior Hydro Geologist at DACAAR||Kabul||28 Jan 2017|
|Finance Consultant at Ministry of Public Health||Kabul||29 Jan 2017|
|Senior Contract Management Specialist Re Ad at Ministry of Public Health||Kabul||22 Jan 2017|
|Procurement Liaison Officer Re Ad at Ministry of Public Health||Kabul||22 Jan 2017|
|Legal Advisor Re Ad at Ministry of Public Health||Kabul||22 Jan 2017|
|Procurement Administration Officer (Informati.. at Ministry of Public Hea..||Kabul||22 Jan 2017|
|رئیس پلان وقوانین at Ministry of Public Health||Kabul||25 Jan 2017|
|رئیس مراقبت های صحی کوچی .. at Ministry of Public Hea..||Kabul||25 Jan 2017|
|رئیس اقتصاد وتمویل صحت at Ministry of Public Health||Kabul||25 Jan 2017|
|Program Management Specialist FSN - 10 at U.S. Embassy||Kabul||26 Jan 2017|
|Gardener FSN - 02 at U.S. Embassy||Kabul||26 Jan 2017|
|Website Editor at APFM||Kabul||22 Jan 2017|
|مسوول تدارکات at Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Islamic R..||Kabul||20 Jan 2017|
|Network Engineer (Technology Department) at Ministry of Foreign Affairs o..||Kabul||20 Jan 2017|
|Software Engineer (Technology Department) at Ministry of Foreign Affairs ..||Kabul||20 Jan 2017|
|Procurement Officer (Procurement Department) at Ministry of Foreign Affai..||Kabul||20 Jan 2017|
|Finance Officer at Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Islamic Republic of..||Kabul||20 Jan 2017|
|Internal Audit Officer at HEDP / MoHE||Kabul||31 Jan 2017|
|Guard at Saudi Arabia Embassy||Kabul||10 Feb 2017|
|Servant (خادمه) at Saudi Arabia Embassy||Kabul||10 Feb 2017|
|Coffee Maker(قهوه ساز) at Saudi Arabia Embassy||Kabul||10 Feb 2017|
|Sr. Gender Advisor at UN-Habitat||Kabul||31 Jan 2017|
|ARCHITECT FSN - 10 at U.S. Embassy||Kabul||24 Jan 2017|
|رئیس اکمال تخصص at Ministry of Public Health||Kabul||22 Jan 2017|
|OSE Media Analyst (base salary is equivalent .. at U.S. Embassy||Kabul||22 Jan 2017|
|Internal Audit Officer at Ministry of Public Health||Kabul||21 Jan 2017|
|Business Development Head at Afghan Global Insurance||Kabul||25 Jan 2017|
|Cashier at DABS||Kabul||23 Jan 2017|
|کارآموزی/کارآموزی حرفه ی.. at USAID Promote: Women i..||Multi Cities||12 Apr 2018|
|کار زده کړه/حرفوي زده کړه at USAID Promote: Women in ..||Multi Cities||12 Apr 2018|
|Intern/Apprentice at USAID Promote: Women in the Economy||Kabul||16 May 2018|