Senior Legal Education Specialist (re-advertised)(1161 Views)
About Checchi and Company Consulting, Inc.
-The objective of the Assistance for the Development of Afghan Legal Access and Transparency (ADALAT) Project is to improve citizen access to justice services based on Afghan law. ADALAT aims to increase the effectiveness and reach of the formal justice sector, strengthen linkages between the formal and traditional justice sectors, and increase citizen demand for quality legal services.
On April 18, 2016, USAID launched the Assistance for the Development of Afghan Legal Access and Transparency (ADALAT) Project. The purpose of this ADALAT project is to improve citizen access to justice services based on Afghan law. To achieve the main purpose, ADALAT will advance three main sub purposes:
1. Increased effectiveness and reach of the formal justice sector,
2. Strengthened linkages between the formal and traditional justice sectors, and
3. Increased citizen demand for quality legal services.
In order to strengthen the capacity of legal professionals, ADALAT is working with universities to improve their law degree programs. ADALAT will support initiatives that strengthen the educational offerings at Afghanistan's private university law faculties which are graduating most of the country's newest generation of lawyers. The Senior Legal Education Specialist will be responsible for engaging with key partners from among higher education and legal institutions, assessing the capacities and needs of university partners, and facilitating access to resources and technical assistance for key partners to implement reform initiatives. The ideal candidate for this position must be familiar with the academic and administrative design of law degree programs at top Afghan universities. The Senior Legal Education Specialist will work closely with the Grants Manager and report to the Chief of Party and Deputy Chief of Party.
The Senior Legal Education Specialist will work directly with law faculty from up to ten top private universities from around the country to design a program to strengthen their law degree programs and improve their teaching methods. In order to assist the curriculum and pedagogical reform that several of these private university law departments seek to be more effective and competitive, ADALAT will facilitate the participation of a select group of institutions in an intensive Law Degree Development Program. ADALAT will design the Law Degree Development Program with the aid of an international legal education specialist, in close consultation with private universities, coordinating with donors and other organizations working with law schools, and communicating regularly with the MoHE.
Legal education activities will be carried out through ADALAT’s Private Universities and Legal Clinical Education Grant Program.
The Senior Legal Education Specialist will report to the Chief of Party and Deputy Chief of Party and assist them in overseeing ADALAT legal education activities. The Senior Legal Education Specialist will be responsible for engaging with key partners from among higher education and legal institutions, assessing the capacities and needs of university partners, and facilitating access to resources and technical assistance for key partners to implement reform initiatives.
|Date Posted:||03 Jan 2017||Reference:||051|
|Closing Date:||13 Jan 2017||Work Type:||Full Time|
|Number of Vacancies:||1||Gender:||Any|
|Functional Area:||Legal||Open Ended:||NO|
|Nationality:||Afghan||Salary Range:||As per NTA Salary Scale Policy|
|Contract Type:||Long-term||Years of Experience:||3 Year(s)|
|Contract Duration:||1 Year(s) & 0 Month(s)||Extension Possibility:||Yes|
|Probation Period:||3 Months|
Duties and Responsibilities
• Assist in overseeing the legal education work.
• Assist in implementing trainings for law professors and students on interactive teaching methods such as how to develop, oversee and evaluate moot court exercises
• Assist the ADALAT Grant Program Manager in the preparation of screening materials and grant solicitations to that will be used to identify select private universities to participate in:
• The Asia Foundation’s (TAF) Legal Aid and Legal Education (LALE) legal writing and clinical legal education program, currently being piloted and open to participation by private university professors in advance of the Spring 2017 semester, and
• The Law Degree Development Program, which will use grant funding to support institutional efforts to build and strengthen curricular and pedagogical development initiatives.
• Assess the needs of the legal education system
• Identify select institutional partners from among private universities
• Work with partners to prepare institutional- and association/network-level strategies to respond to the most pressing needs, defining how ADALAT can most effectively support the strategies (grants program, technical inputs, coordination, etc.)
• Define the scope of ADALAT’s engagement with key legal and higher education bodies (i.e. the Private Universities Association [PUA] and member institution law faculties, the Ministry of Higher Education, public universities, and donors and implementing partners) on policy reform and practical matters
• Assist the Grant Manager in draft of grant guidelines, proposal solicitations, dissemination plan, evaluation system, and project support tools for the first (and as a model for subsequent) grants cycle to fund select private university partners
• Travel to provinces as required.
• Perform other tasks assigned by the CoP and DCoP
• University degree in Law, Master Degree in law is preferred
• Level 4 English ability
• At least three years of experience working with law schools/faculties of private or public universities and legal aid institutions, in particular with work related to legal writing and clinical legal education program, curricular and pedagogical development initiatives, and legal grant funding is preferred
• Strong writing, presentation, and training communication skills
• Fluency in Dari and/or Pashto.
Afghanistan - Kabul
Masters Degree, Law
-Please send your CV and a cover letter that explains your suitability to the position.
-Checchi is an equal opportunity employer. Women are encouraged to apply.
- Write in the subject line of your email the job title and number.
- Please note only short listed candidates will be contacted for an interview.
|More jobs in this category|
|Advocacy Officer at Coordination of Rehabilitaion and Development Service..||Herat||13 Dec 2017|