Agriculture Specialist(1497 Views)
About OFWMP / MAIL
The Ministry of Agriculture, Irrigation and Livestock is implementing “On Farm Water Management (OFWM)” Project, financed by the Afghanistan Reconstruction Trust Fund (ARTF), in five (5) regions, namely: Kabul, Nangarhar (Jalalabad), Balkh (Mazar-i-Sharif), Baghlan and Herat.
The Project Development Objective (PDO) of the OFWM-Project is to improve agricultural productivity in the Project Areas by enhancing the efficiency of water used.
A Kabul-based Project Management Unit (PMU) headed by the Project Manager, with the assistance of Core Team of Specialists, is responsible for execution of the project. Five Area Teams: one each in Kabul, Nangarhar (Jalalabad), Mazar-i-Sharif (Balkh), Bamyan and Heart, have been established for implementation of field activities.
The project started its implementation from March, 2011 for a period of 3 years and is being monitored by World Bank. The project closing date has recently been extended up to April 2016. The project has received additional fund from the World Bank (the Bank) and the period of the OFWMP has been extended to December 2019.
Part A: On-Farm Water Management
1. Carrying out social mobilization for the establishment of Irrigation Associations (IAs) in the Project Areas, including, inter alia, the provision of: (a) training to communities in organization and management of IAs; (b) facilitation services for communities to develop the IAs’ internal legal rules and regulations (by-laws); (c) assistance to IAs in order for them to be registered under the Water Law (1388); and (d) technical training to IAs regarding water distribution, maintenance of irrigation infrastructure, irrigation methods, water-saving techniques, crop-water requirements, and good agronomic practices.
2. (a) Carrying out rehabilitation works to small irrigation schemes or tertiary canals (watercourses) covering approximately 40,000 hectares in total in the Project Areas, including, inter alia: (a) rehabilitation of existing intakes, (b) canal lining; (c) construction of control structures and outlets; (d) construction of, culverts, laundry basins and cattle troughs; and
(b) Improving design standards and strengthening the private sector’s capacity for contract management and construction techniques.
3. Establishing easily accessible pilot irrigation demonstration sites in the Project Areas to showcase improved water management practices/technology and agronomic water saving techniques/measures, as well as proper farm planning and layout for an efficient use of irrigation water.
Part B: Institutional Strengthening and Capacity Building of MAIL
Developing the institutional capacity of MAIL to plan, design, implement and monitor irrigation programs, including, inter alia: (a) construction and/or renovation of office buildings, one each in Kabul, Jalalabad, Baghlan, Mazar-e-Sharif and Herat, respectively for MAIL and Project staff; (b) strengthening of MAIL’s Directorate of Irrigation at national, provincial and district levels; (c) strengthening the legal framework for the irrigation sector, (d) developing a national irrigation program, (e) undertaking of technical training in the irrigation sector including study tours transferring on-farm water management know-how; and (f) developing a database covering irrigation systems throughout the country.
Part C: Project Management, Coordination, Monitoring & Evaluation
Strengthening the institutional capacity of MAIL for Project implementation, policy development, and technical innovation, monitoring and evaluation, by establishing and maintaining a Project Implementation Unit comprised of a Kabul-based core team, five (5) Project Area Teams and internationally recruited experts.
Part D: Support for Productivity Enhancement
1. Establishing easily accessible pilot irrigation demonstration sites in the Project Area to showcase improved water management practices/technology and agronomic water saving techniques/measures, improved agronomic and social management practices, as well as proper farm planning and layout for an efficient use of irrigation water.
2. Promoting land leveling and high-efficiency irrigation technologies in the Project Area.
3. Establishing Information Centers for farmers at the provincial and district level in the Project Area.
|Date Posted:||10 Jan 2017||Reference:||MAIL/OFWMP/84|
|Closing Date:||20 Jan 2017||Work Type:||Full Time|
|Number of Vacancies:||1||Gender:||Any|
|Functional Area:||Agriculture||Open Ended:||NO|
|Nationality:||Afghan||Salary Range:||As per NTA Salary Scale Policy|
|Contract Type:||Service Contract||Years of Experience:||5 Year(s)|
|Contract Duration:||1 Year(s) & 0 Month(s)||Extension Possibility:||Yes|
|Probation Period:||3 Months|
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the overall supervision of the Team Leader for component 4 and in close consultation and coordination with the Head of the Directorate General of Extension and Agriculture Development (DGEAD), an Agriculture specialist will be responsible for ensuring all necessary technical and backstopping support to the project area team and the provincial and district agriculture extension staff for smooth and timely implementation of all planned activities for component 4 . The specific responsibilities of an Agriculture Advisor would include but not limited to the followings.
1. Work closely with the Project Area Team and Provincial Heads of Agriculture Extension to identify the needs of Agriculture extension staff for their capacity building in relation to the implement of activities planned under component 4 .
2. Prepare plan for comprehensive demonstration plots and Farmer Field School in consultation with Provincial and District Heads of Agriculture Extension and other project staff based in Kabul and the region
3. Review the guidelines for operational strategies and implementation of demonstration plots and FFS in consultation with other project staff and Provincial Heads of Agriculture
4. Prepare curricula and learning sessions for FFS on various crops for the project in consultation and revision of FFS materials prepared by other MAIL PROJECTS
5. Identify training needs and design and develop necessary training plan including short term and long term training courses to improve the capacity of agriculture extension staff based on their specific needs.
6. Prepare training curricula, course outlines and necessary training materials based on similar trainings conducted by other similar projects in consultation with provincial Heads of Extension and other project staff
7. Conduct, accordingly, necessary training for the district and provincial extension staff involved in the project for implementation of demonstration and FFS to improve their skills and capacity
8. Identify and collect the requirements for various agricultural tools needed to be distributed to the region for establishing demonstration and FFS in consultation with the Provincial Heads of Extension and other project staff
9. Assist the PIC in identification of appropriate vendors and suppliers to procure the tools and organize their distribution to the region on time.
10. Organize necessary field visits to the schemes where demonstration plots and FFS have been established to assess the progress of demo/FFS plots and ensure necessary technical support to the project and extension staff and share the observation of field visits with PIC on a regular basis.
11. Coordinate with other similar projects and programs for mutual sharing and learning to improve the performance of project activities, and increase the dissemination of tools and technologies used in the demo and FFS plots.
12. To perform other duties as assigned
Travels to Provinces
Require Travels to Provinces
The candidate must have achieved a Bachelor Degree in Agronomy or horticulture Master degree is preferred. 5 years of experience in extension in irrigated agriculture. Major achievement in career may substitute for long experience and educational requirements.
Afghanistan - Kabul: PROVINCIAL CENTER (KABUL)
Bachelors Degree, Agriculture
Send your CV to:
On-Farm Water Management Project, MAIL, Pamir Building 7th floor.
Ministry of Agriculture, Irrigation and Livestock,
Address: Kabul University Road, Kabul, Afghanistan
Please send your CV to both email address.
Note: No resume will be taken under consideration without having a cover letter.
Only shortlisted candidates will be called for written test .
The Subject Line Must be reference number
|More jobs in this category|
|Field Officer at DACAAR||Multi Cities||27 Jul 2017|
|Senior Poultry Officer at CARD-F||Logar||27 Jun 2017|
|Agricultural Credit Trainer at Afghanistan Microfinance Association (AMA)||Kabul||26 Jun 2017|
|Farmers Call Center Officer at OFWMP / MAIL||Kabul||24 Jun 2017|
|Agrochemicals Trainer at ( Ministry of Agriculture) AAIP Project||Kabul||24 Jun 2017|