Environment and Social Safeguard Officer(1027 Views)
The Ministry of Agriculture, Irrigation and Livestock is implementing “On Farm Water Management (OFWM)” Project, financed by the Afghanistan Reconstruction Trust Fund (ARTF), in five (5) regions, namely: Kabul, Nangarhar (Jalalabad), Balkh (Mazar-i-Sharif), Baghlan and Heart.
The overall development objective (PDO) of the OFWM-Project is to improve agricultural productivity in the Project Areas by enhancing the efficiency of water used.
A Kabul-based Project Management Unit (PMU) headed by the Project Manager, with the assistance of Core Team of Specialists, is responsible for execution of the project. Five Area Teams: one each in Kabul, Nangarhar (Jalalabad), Mazar-i-Sharif (Balkh), Bamyan and Heart, have been established for implementation of field activities.
The project started its implementation from March, 2011 for a period of 3 years and is being monitored by Worlds Bank. The project closing date has recently been extended up to April 2016. The project has received additional fund from the World Bank (the Bank) and the period of the OFWMP has been extended to December 2019.
The Project consists of the following parts:
Part A: On-Farm Water Management
1. Carrying out social mobilization for the establishment of Irrigation Associations (IAs) in the Project Areas, including, inter alia, the provision of: (a) training to communities in organization and management of IAs; (b) facilitation services for communities to develop the IAs’ internal legal rules and regulations (by-laws); (c) assistance to IAs in order for them to be registered under the Water Law (1388); and (d) technical training to IAs regarding water distribution, maintenance of irrigation infrastructure, irrigation methods, water-saving techniques, crop-water requirements, and good agronomic practices.
2. (a) Carrying out rehabilitation works to small irrigation schemes or tertiary canals (watercourses) covering approximately 40,000 hectares in total in the Project Areas, including, inter alia: (a) rehabilitation of existing intakes, (b) canal lining; (c) construction of control structures and outlets; (d) construction of, culverts, laundry basins and cattle troughs; and
(b) Improving design standards and strengthening the private sector’s capacity for contract management and construction techniques.
3. Establishing easily accessible pilot irrigation demonstration sites in the Project Areas to showcase improved water management practices/technology and agronomic water saving techniques/measures, as well as proper farm planning and layout for an efficient use of irrigation water.
Part B: Institutional Strengthening and Capacity Building of MAIL
Developing the institutional capacity of MAIL to plan, design, implement and monitor irrigation programs, including, inter alia: (a) construction and/or renovation of office buildings, one each in Kabul, Jalalabad, Baghlan, Mazar-e-Sharif and Herat, respectively for MAIL and Project staff; (b) strengthening of MAIL’s Directorate of Irrigation at national, provincial and district levels; (c) strengthening the legal framework for the irrigation sector, (d) developing a national irrigation program, (e) undertaking of technical training in the irrigation sector including study tours transferring on-farm water management know-how; and (f) developing a database covering irrigation systems throughout the country.
Part C: Project Management, Coordination, Monitoring & Evaluation
Strengthening the institutional capacity of MAIL for Project implementation, policy development, and technical innovation, monitoring and evaluation, by establishing and maintaining a Project Implementation Unit comprised of a Kabul-based core team, five (5) Project Area Teams and internationally recruited experts.
Part D: Support for Productivity Enhancement
1. Establishing easily accessible pilot irrigation demonstration sites in the Project Area to showcase improved water management practices/technology and agronomic water saving techniques/measures, improved agronomic and social management practices, as well as proper farm planning and layout for an efficient use of irrigation water.
2. Promoting land leveling and high-efficiency irrigation technologies in the Project Area.
3. Establishing Information Centers for farmers at the provincial and district level in the Project Area
|Date Posted:||17 Jul 2017||Reference:||MAIL/OFWMP/110|
|Closing Date:||31 Jul 2017||Work Type:||Full Time|
|Number of Vacancies:||1||Gender:||Any|
|Functional Area:||Agriculture||Open Ended:||NO|
|Nationality:||Afghan||Salary Range:||As per NTA Salary Scale Policy|
|Contract Type:||Service Contract||Years of Experience:||4 Year(s)|
|Contract Duration:||0 Year(s) & 4 Month(s)||Extension Possibility:||Yes|
|Probation Period:||3 Months|
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the overall supervision, of the Environment and Social Safeguard Specialist and joint supervision of OFWMP regional manager and field supervisor. The Regional Environment and Social Safeguard Officer (ESSO) will support the Authorized Community Representatives and the IA Head in coordinating the implementation of the OFWM sub-project by undertaking the following key tasks and detailed activities:
1- citizen engagement
• Identify primary and secondary stakeholders at local level and give priority to seeking the views of the most disadvantaged and marginalized groups with communities e.g. women, especially female-headed households;
• Assist OFWMP Regional team in facilitating Transect Walk and screening process along with the CDC and IA members;
• Conduct consultation meetings with representatives from each stakeholder group to disseminate information about the project; seek their opinions on proposed activities; and involve them in design, implementation and monitoring of proposed activities including identification of specific prevention/mitigation measures to adverse social and environmental impacts of proposed activities if any;
• Conduct separate meetings with project affected people to ensure that no body enforced them in any case. Take particular care to ensure that female staff members/FP staff are available to interview female PAPs;
• Disseminating the sub-project objectives and explaining its implementation methodologies to the community, separately to male and female groups if needed;
• Prepare list of the affected people in the targeted watercourse through broad consultation with the community, to provide a detailed tree list and/or site map which records each individual tree to be cut;
2- Support to IAs
• The ESSO is responsible that employment opportunities are equally available to downstream and upstream communities during project implementation, pay attention to equity issues where different groups are located upstream and downstream;
• Implement grievance redress mechanism (GRM) at sub-project level and inform local stakeholders on how to submit complaints. In particular, consider mechanisms that facilitate the submission of complaints by vulnerable or other potentially disadvantaged groups, who may have a more difficult time reporting problems;
• Identify training needs of the key counterparts and support the safeguard Specialist in the development and delivery of the trainings;
• To ensure ToR for establishment and strengthening of IAs is implemented by Facilitating Partner at regional level;
• To ensure the IA members and other relevant stakeholders are trained in safeguard issues by FP; Help in preparation of social audit report;
4- development and monitoring of ESMPs
• In close coordination with the site supervisor provide monitoring of Health Safety and Environment (HSE) plan;
• Facilitate swift resolution of conflicts, disputes or addressing other issues that may affect the timely implementation of the sub-project;
• In close collaboration with other safeguards staff the ESSO will ensure that the Project PMP/IPM requirements are fulfilled, relevant capacity development is done;
• The ESSO will ensure close cooperation with AAIP, NHLP and Quarantine Department of the MAIL;
• Mainstream the IPM/PMP in the whole project cycle, implementation, monitoring, reporting and etc.
• The ESSO to ensure the contractor shall, having regard to local conditions, provide on the site an adequate supply of drinking water for the workers;
• The ESSO to ensure the contractor does not employ any child under 15 year of age;
• Monitor the implementation of the ESMP to ensure the smooth implementation of activities, where implementation challenges arise, coordinate with OFWM Regional team and other relevant stakeholders to identify appropriate solutions and facilitate the implementation of agreed activities;
• Support OFWM Regional monitoring and evaluation officers in gathering data for community profiles and on the sub-project impact on improving watercourse for women and children;
• To ensure checklists and guidelines for monitoring are implemented at sub-project level.
• ESSO to ensure, rehabilitation of the works all the areas those disturbed by the contractor’s construction activities shall be restored by the contractor to their original condition.
• Prepare his monthly action plan and share it with the team leader and safeguard specialist;
• Compile monitoring reports of the ESMP implementation on weekly basis;
• Provide input for the ESMP preparation and implementation to address such challenges as they arise and ensure timely reporting to the Sr.Safeguard Specialist;
Travels to Provinces
Require Travels to Provinces
Full working knowledge (in writing and orally) Strong knowledge of national languages (Dari and Pashto) knowledge of English language is an advantage
University degree from a recognized university in the field of water management, irrigation, agronomy, environmental science, social science or other water related field;
Good knowledge of computer packages, including MS Power Point, MS Word and Ms Excel is required;
Full working knowledge (in writing and orally) Strong knowledge of national languages (Dari and Pashto) knowledge of English language is an advantage;
At least 3 years of experience in working with community mobilization activities and empowerment of local actors;
Prior experience on a similar program with international NGOs or including experience working in the field will be an advantage;
Good communication skill and creative thinking personality;
Resides in the province/region of assignment/willingness to be relocated;
Ability to handle large volume of works both, in office and the field; and
Proven capacity to organize training activities in the field and to coordinate with implementing partners
Afghanistan - Baghlan: Provincial Center (PUL-I-KHUMRI)
Bachelors Degree, Agriculture
Interested Afghans with the required qualifications and experience should submit their CV's with covering letter explaining how you meet the required competencies electronically through submission e-mail or should submit their applications in writing (clearly indicating on the sealed envelope the Reference No of the position) to: Human Resources Department, On-Farm Water Management Project, MAIL, Pamir Building 7th floor.
Kindly make sure to write the reference number of the position in the subject line of your emails, otherwise your CVs may not be considered for the further process.
The Subject line should be ( MAIL/OFWMP/ 110 )
Note: The necessity for ensuring the highest standards of efficiency, competence and integrity remain the paramount considerations in the employment of personnel. In the interests of open and fair competition and a merit based selection process applicants are advised that lobbying for a position , whether by the applicant or by any person acting on his or her behalf, shall result in the immediate disqualification of the candidate from further consideration. And to ensure fairness and transparency, selection will be made on a competitive basis through a selection panel.
|More jobs in this category|
|Deputy Project Director at ( Ministry of Agriculture) AAIP Project||Kabul||09 Dec 2017|
|National Plant Quarantine Specialist (PMU) at ( Ministry of Agriculture)..||Kabul||04 Dec 2017|
|Grievance Handling Officer (Re announced) at ( Ministry of Agriculture) ..||Kabul||04 Dec 2017|
|Irrigation Specialist at MAIL/OFWMP||Kabul||10 Dec 2017|
|Training Specialist at MAIL/OFWMP||Kabul||30 Nov 2017|