Senior Officer for a Corruption Vulnerability Analysis in the Afghan Mining Sector(1283 Views)
About Joint Monitoring and Evaluation Committee(MEC)
In 2010, the Government of the Islamic Republic Afghanistan (GIRoA) invited the international community to form the Independent Joint Anti-Corruption Monitoring and Evaluation Committee (MEC), to provide anti-corruption policy advice, and monitor and evaluate progress against specific anti-corruption benchmarks. The MEC was established jointly by the GIRoA and the international community, following the London and Kabul Conferences in January and July 2010, respectively, and by Presidential Decree 61, 2010.
The MEC is an independent agency, and is not subject to direction from either the Afghan government or from the international community. Following the London Conference, the Government of the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan invited the international community to form a joint Afghan-International monitoring and evaluation committee. On September 18, 2016, the Afghan president issued Presidential Decree No. 115. This changed the legal status, duties, scope of activities and authorities of the Independent Joint Anti-Corruption Monitoring and Evaluation Committee which abrogates all previous Presidential Decrees. The MEC focuses on:
• Developing anti-corruption recommendations;
• Monitoring and evaluating the anti-corruption efforts of the Afghan government and the international community; and
• Reporting on a regular basis to the President, Parliament, and people of Afghanistan, as well as to the international community about the state of the fight against corruption.
The primary responsibility of the Senior Officer will be to support MEC’s Ministry-Wide Vulnerability to Corruption Assessment (MVCA) examining the Afghan Ministry of Mine & Petroleum (MOEMP) operations in Kabul and selected provinces. This is an exciting, groundbreaking study on a difficult but crucial topic, which is hugely reducing government revenue generation across the country. The analysis is being conducted with the full support of the Mine and Petroleum Minister.
The MVCA will be the first comprehensive analysis of the corruption vulnerabilities across the entire MOMP, including an assessment of the corruption vulnerabilities in the provision of mining laws & policies, services, legal and institutional frameworks, key functions, interaction with the main stakeholders of the mining sector, human-resources systems, awarding mining contracts, internal oversight and audit regime, information-management systems, and management and leadership – all with a focus on corruption and practical measures to mitigate such corruption. The MVCA will also look at ways to improve government revenue generation via reduced corruption, enhance integrity in the mining sector and enable external stakeholders to more effectively fight corruption. The work will mostly proceed via semi-structured interviews, but will also involve analysis of the institutional, policy and legal arrangements of the MOMP, investigating the experiences of donors, and desk research on the many corruption issues that have happened in the MOMP, and analysis.
|Date Posted:||08 Aug 2017||Reference:||MEC882017|
|Closing Date:||22 Aug 2017||Work Type:||Full Time|
|Number of Vacancies:||1||Gender:||Any|
|Functional Area:||Management||Open Ended:||NO|
|Nationality:||Afghan||Salary Range:||As per company salary scale|
|Contract Type:||Short Term||Years of Experience:||2 Year(s)|
|Contract Duration:||0 Year(s) & 6 Month(s)||Extension Possibility:||No|
Duties and Responsibilities
• The Senior Officer will bring high caliber expertise in Mining policies, practices and reforms into the project
• The Senior Officer will work closely with and support the two working teams
• The team will be led at Committee level by Committee member Noorani. The exact roles of the team members will be decided based upon the experience of the chosen candidates.”
• The Senior Officer will assist on set up the interview and analysis methodologies. He or she will also assist in the analysis phase.
• The overall project duration is expected to be 6 months, starting in September 2017 and completing in Mar 2018
• The engagement of the Senior Officer is expected to be about 80 days in total, the final number of working days will depend on the agreed-upon timeframe and schedule of the International Consultant and MEC team.
• The Senior Officer is expected to contribute substantially to the methodology that will accurately assess MOMP’s vulnerabilities to corruption.
• Assist in writing the final In-Depth Report (in English) and proposing recommendations to address problems identified therein.
• The Senior Officer will not be expected to complete, nor be reimbursed for, any tasks performed outside of his or her expected work-days.
• The format, content, and length of the MVCA can be changed at any time with the approval of the MEC Executive Director.
• Support the International Consultant and team in designing tools to collect information from the MOMP staff via interviews, document analysis, and the review of quantitative data.
The Senior Officer must have the following qualifications:
• University degree in mining economy , sociology, development or a related field;
• Several years of experience in the mining sector; preferably in a range of developing countries.
• Knowledge of research methodologies is a significant plus.
• Ability to work in a politicized environment on a highly sensitive topic
• Ability to effectively work in a team environment in a challenging, multi-cultural and fast-paced environment;
• It is an asset, but not essential, if the consultant can write and speak the major national languages
• High quality report writing skills in English.
The Senior Consultant will report formally to the MEC Executive Director.
Afghanistan - Kabul
Candidates can apply for the position by sending their cover letter and CV in one PDF or Microsoft Word document, named in the following way: "LAST_NAME_first_name.pdf" or "LAST_NAME_first_name.doc." Supplementary documents - degrees, certificates, etc. - should not be sent at this time. The single PDF or Word file should be emailed to below email address with the subject line "MOMP Senior Officer” by August 22, 2017.
|More jobs in this category|
|General Manager at Jumiat Industrial Association||Kabul||28 Jul 2018|
|Programme Officer at UN-Habitat||Kabul||29 Jul 2018|
|Project Clerk (SB2/3) at UNDP Afghanistan||Kabul||02 Aug 2018|
|Global Medical Service Management at Afghan Global Insurance||Kabul||01 Aug 2018|
|Executive director: Eshteghal-Zaiee – Karmo.. at Ministry of Economy||Kabul||28 Jul 2018|
|SR. Procurement Specialist : Eshteghal-Zaiee.. at Ministry of Economy||Kabul||28 Jul 2018|
|Marketing Officer at Rabia Nawawaran||Kabul||25 Jul 2018|
|Economic Analyst to MoMP/ Cadastre Directorat.. at Ministry of Mines and ..||Kabul||24 Jul 2018|
|Contract Management Expert to MoMP/ Cadastre .. at Ministry of Mines and ..||Kabul||24 Jul 2018|
|Deputy Head of Technical & Coordination Unit at DACAAR||Kabul||28 Jul 2018|