About BBC World Service
BBC Afghan Service broadcasts in Dari and Pashto for audience in Afghanistan and Pakistan on television, radio and online as well as interactive services. Our service is the quality news, current affairs and information channel of choice to the Dari and Pashto speaking regions. Our News-gathering operation is at the heart of the service and we provide content for all platforms of the highest possible editorial and technical standard. Therefore, we serve BBC Afghan Service Radio, Online and Pashto TV with a range of video/audio/text output.
Working under mentorship of Editor in Kabul and Planning and Commissioning Editor in London, you will be required to gather news, conduct interviews, and produce features for Radio, Online and Pashto TV.
Accountable to the Editors, the reporter will receive instructions from the Editors or Senior Producers in Kabul, and will be assigned to perform duties relevant to job description. This position consists of three elements production, reporting, and newsgathering.
|Date Posted:||27 Aug 2017||Reference:||0101|
|Closing Date:||20 Sep 2017||Work Type:||Full Time|
|Number of Vacancies:||1||Gender:||Any|
|Functional Area:||Media||Open Ended:||NO|
|Nationality:||Afghan||Salary Range:||As per company salary scale|
|Contract Type:||Long-term||Years of Experience:||3 Year(s)|
|Contract Duration:||1 Year(s) & 0 Month(s)||Extension Possibility:||Yes|
Duties and Responsibilities
• Research, explore and share ideas for multimedia products
• Write reports for Radio and Online and TV
• Contribute to Kabul editorial meetings
• Generate news stories
• Coordinate with London and Kabul colleagues ahead of the transmissions
• Translate and transcribe work done into the required language
• Be responsible for the quality of reports technically and materially
• Provide pre-recorded or live interviews/two-ways, and actualities
• Hand over reports or packages on time to Kabul and London for transmission
• Be prepared to cover breaking news 24/7
The following competencies (behaviours and characteristics) have been identified as key to success in the job. Successful candidates are expected to demonstrate these competencies.
Editorial Judgement - Makes the right editorial and policy decisions based upon a clear understanding of the BBCs distinctive news agenda, the requirements of news and current affairs coverage as well as those of the programme departments.
Creative Thinking - able to transform creative ideas into practical reality. Can look at existing situations and problems in novel ways and come up with creative solutions.
Planning and organisation - able to think ahead in order to establish an efficient and appropriate course of action for self and others. Prioritises and plans activities taking into account all the relevant issues and factors such as deadlines, staffing and resources.
Communication - able to get one’s message understood clearly by adopting a range of styles, tools and techniques appropriate to the audience and the nature of the information.
Influencing and persuading - able to present sound and well reasoned arguments to convince others. Can draw from a range of strategies to persuade people in a way that results in agreement or behaviour change.
Managing relationships and team working - able to build and maintain effective working relationships with a range of people. Works co-operatively with others to be part of a team, as opposed to working separately or competitively.
Developing Others - able to recognise potential (managerial, professional, artistic or otherwise) and is willing to foster the development of that potential. Creates a climate in which potential can be realised.
Resilience - manages personal effectiveness by managing emotions in the face of pressure, set backs or when dealing with provocative situations. Demonstrates an approach to work that is characterised by commitment, motivation and energy.
Flexibility - adapts and works effectively with a variety of situations, individuals or groups. Able to understand and appreciate different and opposing perspectives on an issue, to adapt an approach as the requirements of a situation change, and to change or easily accept changes in one’s own organisation or job requirements.
1. Extensive experience of daily reporting as a radio reporter with experience of live broadcasting.
2. Fluency in both written and spoken Dari and preferably with the ability to communicate effectively in Pashto.
3. Practical evidence of outstanding journalistic experience with the ability to identify good newsworthy stories.
4. Good story-telling skills and an understanding of a variety of formats for radio, Online and TV, with broadcast-friendly voice
5. Good knowledge of English is preferred
6. Must have a keen interest in news and current affairs and an empathy with the aims and objectives of news and current affairs colleagues.
7. A sound understanding of local, Afghan and global politics.
8. Ability to work and remain calm under pressure. To use initiative to meet programme deadlines.
9. Drive, positive hardworking attitude and a passion for news and current affairs.
10. IT skills and the ability to type in Pashto and Dari.
11. A high level of communication skills, including an enthusiasm for working as part of a dynamic team.
12. Ability to self manage hours of work where appropriate and to allocate resources to provide the most effective.
Afghanistan - Balkh
Applicants are required to submit electronic copy of their CVs with a covering letter stating interest in the job and contact details to below email address:
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
|More jobs in this category|
|ویراستار ویژه فارسی آنلا.. at Salam Watandar||Kabul||24 Jan 2018|
|Special Reporter for Political Reports at Salam Watandar||Kabul||23 Jan 2018|
|Special Journalist for Social Reports at Salam Watandar||Kabul||23 Jan 2018|