Communication Associate(1577 Views)
About United Nations volunteers
The United Nations Volunteers (UNV) programme is the UN organization that promotes volunteerism to support peace and development worldwide. Volunteerism can transform the pace and nature of development and it benefits both society at large and the individual volunteer. UNV contributes to peace and development by advocating for volunteerism globally, encouraging partners to integrate volunteerism into development programming, and mobilizing volunteers.
In most cultures volunteerism is deeply embedded in long-established, ancient traditions of sharing and support within the communities. In this context, UN Volunteers take part in various forms of volunteerism and play a role in development and peace together with co-workers, host agencies and local communities.
In all assignments, UN Volunteers promote volunteerism through their action and conduct. Engaging in volunteer activity can effectively and positively enrich their understanding of local and social realities, as well as create a bridge between themselves and the people in their host community. This will make the time they spend as UN Volunteers even more rewarding and productive.
|Date Posted:||12 Sep 2017||Reference:||0012|
|Closing Date:||19 Sep 2017||Work Type:||Full Time|
|Number of Vacancies:||1||Gender:||Any|
|Functional Area:||Communication||Open Ended:||NO|
|Nationality:||Salary Range:||As per company salary scale|
|Contract Type:||Short Term||Years of Experience:||2 Year(s)|
|Contract Duration:||0 Year(s) & 3 Month(s)||Extension Possibility:||No|
Duties and Responsibilities
under the direct supervision of Communication and Advocacy Officer and the Project Manager, the national UN Volunteer will undertake the following tasks:
Contribute to the achievement of project activities, targets and results, by focusing on the following results:
• Develop a mechanism to identify key actors for the implementation of participation and communication strategies at the local level;
• Manage the most efficient means of communication that have been identified by the project team, in coordination with the Ministry of Economy, to disseminate information to the public; including oversee the development of TV spots and radio announcements;Strengthen coordination within all components of the public information infrastructure;
• Organize and arrange press conferences at the centre;
• Draft press releases and assist their availabilities in English, Dari and Pashto to facilitate their broader dissemination;
• Supervise drafting of minutes, reports, speeches, talking points, press statements, newsletter and website articles on SDGs
• Manage the content on the website that has been developed to Afghanistan Sustainable Development goals;
• Identify innovative ways to share information through national and international exposure
• Develop sustainable relationships with representatives of the press at the local, national, and international levels and ensure that they are regularly and accurately informed of the progress made on the achievement of the SDGs;
• Develop, maintain and update a comprehensive database of all relevant national and international stakeholders to facilitate the dissemination of information related to the SDGs or Afghanistan SDGs;
• Liaise with UNDP Country Office Communications Unit to ensure that UNDP adopts a coherent communications approach with respect to the SDGs;
• Contribute to information and knowledge sharing within the project team..
• Contribute to planning and design of internal and external strategies for communications and outreach focusing on achievement of the following results, by focusing on the following results:
• Support the Communication and Advocacy Officer in designing internal and external outreach strategies;
• Support the Communication and Advocacy Officer in developing and support the public information outreach strategy, action plan, and related implementation programme at project and ministry levels;
• Assist to ensure compliance of all actions and activities with organizational rules, regulations, policies, strategies and internal control mechanisms;
• Assist on planning and elaboration of communications needs assessments for SDGs;
• Assist on elaboration of the SDGs communications and outreach strategy based on the corporate communications strategy;
• Assist on constructive and timely advice on inclusion of communications components in the process of nationalization of SDGs and to integrate advocacy and communication strategies into all aspects of GoA’s development program (ANPDF).
• Any other task as assigned by Communication and Advocacy Officer and the Project Manager
Furthermore, UN Volunteers are required to:
• Strengthen their knowledge and understanding of the concept of volunteerism by reading relevant UNV and external publications and take active part in UNV activities (for instance in events that mark IVD);
• Be acquainted with and build on traditional and/or local forms of volunteerism in the host country;
• Reflect on the type and quality of voluntary action that they are undertaking, including participation in ongoing reflection activities;
• Contribute articles/write-ups on field experiences and submit them for UNV publications/websites, newsletters, press releases, etc.;
• Assist with the UNV Buddy Programme for newly-arrived UN Volunteers;
• Promote or advise local groups in the use of online volunteering, or encourage relevant local individuals and organizations to use the UNV Online Volunteering service whenever technically possible.
• BA degree in mass communication, public administration or related fields, extra trainings in public information, communication, and education will be a distinct advantage
• In-depth knowledge of local governance realities in Afghanistan
• Past experience in development issues is an asset
• Strong communication skills
• Ability to coordinate with different stakeholders in a complex work environment.
• Experience in capacity development
• Ability to work independently
• Able to use computer programs/applications (MS. Word, Excel, Power Point,)
• Fluency in written and spoken English, Dari and/or Pashtu
Afghanistan - Kabul
All UN staff personnel working in Afghanistan in general and Kabul in particular are required to strictly adhere to standard security protocol as issued and advised by the UN Security apparatus.
Health: Exposure exists to diseases. All medical formalities specified in the Offer or Travel Advisory should be completed before traveling. Vaccinations for Hepatitis A & B, Typhoid, Tetanus/Diphtheria, Polio and Meningitis are recommended. Vaccination Card (yellow card) must be brought. Malaria prophylaxis is highly recommended. UN personnel have access during working hours to a Clinic inside the compound.
14. Conditions of Service for national UN Volunteers
Until 31 December 2017; with subsequent contract extensions subject to availability of funding, operational necessity and satisfactory performance.
Travel to duty station (if applicable) and a Settling-In-Grant will be provided in the event duty station is not within commuting distance from the place of recruitment. A Volunteer Living Allowance (VLA) of 600 $ is provided monthly to cover housing, utilities and normal cost of living expenses. Life, health and permanent disability insurance are included (health insurance for up to 3 dependents), as well as final repatriation (if applicable) and resettlement allowance for satisfactory service.
15. How to Apply
1. Site: https://vmam.unv.org/
2. Click on Candidate Signup
3. Register with UNV database by entering basic personal information
4. Click Sign Up
5. Notification e-mail sent to the registered e-mail of the candidate
6. Click on the link in the e-mail to validate the e-mail address
7. Complete all the required sections under My Profile
8. Submit my profile
9. Within VMAM page, Go to ‘My Page’ section, click on the ‘Special Call’ button and apply and select the Application Code (AFGR001273-)Closing date for applicants: (19/09/2017
10. Should you experience any kind of technical difficulties please address your inquires to A
|More jobs in this category|
|Communication Officer at MAIL/CPMO||Kabul||31 Mar 2018|
|WEE-NPP Sr. Communication Specialist at WEE-NPP||Kabul||27 Mar 2018|
|Curriculum Implementation Coordinator at CYEEO||Multi Cities||25 Mar 2018|