Female Translator/Interpreter(942 Views)
About UNDP Afghanistan
UNDP supports stabilization, state building, governance and development priorities in Afghanistan. UNDP support, in partnership with the Government, the United Nations system, the donor community and other development stakeholders, has contributed to institutional development efforts leading to positive impact on the lives of Afghan citizens. Over the years UNDP support has spanned such milestone efforts as the adoption of the Constitution; Presidential, Parliamentary and Provincial Council elections; institutional development through capacity-building to the legislative, the judicial and executive arms of the state, and key ministries, Government agencies and commissions at the national and subnational levels. UNDP has played a key role in the management of the Law and Order Trust Fund, which supports the Government in developing and maintaining the national police force and in efforts to stabilize the internal security environment. Major demobilization, disarmament and rehabilitation and area-based livelihoods and reconstruction programmes have taken place nationwide. UNDP Programmes in Afghanistan have benefited from the very active support of donors. UNDP Afghanistan is committed to the highest standards of transparency and accountability and works in close coordination with the United Nations Mission in Afghanistan and the UN system as a whole to maximize the impact of its development efforts on the ground.
The United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) is committed to augmenting the capacity of the Government of the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan’s (GIROA) to administer rule of law and improve security for all Afghan citizens. As the lead rule of law institution in the country, improving the ability of the Ministry of Interior Affairs (MOIA) to fulfill its mandate remains critical to the overall stability of Afghanistan and its people. As the UN’s primary development agency, and a longstanding development partner to GIROA’s rule of law and security sector, UNDP Afghanistan plays a leading role in facilitating reform and development of MOIA. The MOIA & Police Development (MPD) project, principle objectives are to (1) improve MOIA’s ability to lead and manage reform, (2) ensure efficiency improvements in key police service functions and (3) improve public confidence in the police force through accountability and democratic policing standards and approaches. These objectives are programmed under two components of the MPD project, Institutional Development and Police Professionalization.
The MPD project utilizes global expertise from within the UN system, private sector firms as well as newly established South-South Cooperation Frameworks in order to deliver highly contextual and relevant advisory support. It works through three principle programming streams – legal/policy, institutional and individual capacity – in order to foster systemic and lasting change. The project also works in close collaboration with strategic partners, including the United Nations Assistance Mission in Afghanistan (UNAMA), the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO), European Union Police (EUPOL) and German Police Project Team (GPPT), in order to deliver upon these common objectives.
The Female Translator/ Interpreter will be housed in the MPD Project – PMU Administration Unit and will provide dedicated support to both components of the MPD project. This position and its duties will be performed under the overall supervision of project Manager with day-to-day management under the Project Administrative Officer of MPD Project.
The position will be responsible for ensuring:
a) All the back-end support issues;
b) Support to project implementation; and
c) Support to component administrative and management support.
|Date Posted:||12 Sep 2017||Reference:||12043|
|Closing Date:||26 Sep 2017||Work Type:||Full Time|
|Number of Vacancies:||1||Gender:||Female|
|Functional Area:||Translation||Open Ended:||NO|
|Nationality:||Afghan||Salary Range:||As per company salary scale|
|Contract Type:||Service Contract||Years of Experience:||7 Year(s)|
|Contract Duration:||1 Year(s) & 0 Month(s)||Extension Possibility:||No|
Duties and Responsibilities
1. Prepare translations:
• Translate correspondence, briefs, drafts, reports and documents from Dari/Pashto into English and vice versa English into Dari/Pashto. For use within project team and meetings.
• Translate legal documents of international origin from English into Dari and from Dari into English as required.
• Work in collaboration with other translators as required in implementation of larger translations.
• Proofread and edit translated and other documents.
• File all translated documents properly in hard and soft copy.
• Provide any other translation services as requested by the Project Manager.
• Provide translation services to the Implementing Partner as requested by the Project Manager.
• Provide administrative and operational support associated to translations as requested.
• Interpretation from English into Dari/Pashto and vice versa.
• Interpretation at meetings, workshops, presentations and events of the Project. Assistance in assessment of interpretation needs.
• Provide interpretation services to international project staff and consultants.
• Provide interpretation services on field trips outside Kabul.
• Carry out other relevant tasks related to interpretation as requested by the Project Manager.
• Accompany female staff and provide translation services when required during missions to provinces and in central region.
• Demonstrates commitment to UNDP’s mission, vision and values;
• Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
• Project implementation experience with the UN system a strong asset;
• Strong organizational and reporting skills;
• Results oriented, strong team player with outstanding interpersonal and coordination skills;
• Ability to work independently;
• Strong managerial competency with experience in results based management and results oriented approach to project implementation;
• Ability to establish substantive professional relationships with all stakeholders;
• Familiarity with post-conflict environments.
Knowledge Management and Learning
• Promotes a knowledge sharing and learning culture in the office;
• Actively works towards continuing personal learning and development in one or more Practice Areas, acts on learning plan and applies newly acquired skills.
Management and Leadership
• Focuses on impact and result for the client and responds positively to feedback;
• Leads teams effectively and shows conflict resolution skills;
• Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude;
• Demonstrates strong oral and written communication skills;
• Builds strong relationships with clients and external actors;
• Remains calm, in control and good humored even under pressure;
• Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities.
• High School graduate or bachelor degree in English literature or in relevant field. Master degree in English literature and specialized certification in English translation will be a distinguish advantage.
• With High School certificate 7 years and with Bachelor’s degree 5 years of demonstrated professional experience as translator/interpreter is required.
• Demonstrated ability to work with legal documents.
• Excellent computer skills, with MS. Office (Word, Excel, Power Point). High typing speed in 3 languages (English, Dari & Pushto).
• Experience in working with UN entities, International & National NGOs or government agencies is an advantage.
Language Requirements: • Fluency in English, Dari and or Pashtu is required.
Afghanistan - Kabul
Qualified female applicants are advised to apply online using the following link (copy and past the link in a new tab).
No email provided, please refer to Submission Guideline above
|More jobs in this category|
|Interpreter/Translator at Afghan Knowledge Solution||Kabul||23 Nov 2017|
|Translator – English to Pashto and Vice-ver.. at Samuel Hall||Kabul||25 Nov 2017|
|Translator – English to Dari and Vice-versa at Samuel Hall||Kabul||25 Nov 2017|