Extension Worker(787 Views)
Support to National Priority Program2 (SNaPP2) is a development project of MAIL funded IFAD with the goal to improve food security and economic status of poor rural households in three provinces; Balkh, Herat and Nangarhar. The project will reach at least 57,000 households consisting of 427,500 people in these provinces.
The project has two specific objectives: (i) institutional development and capacity building of community organizations, public extension services and relevant private sector entities in the provinces; and (ii) sustained increased incomes of small farmers and herders fostered by improvements in productivity and output, infrastructure and market linkages. These objectives will be addressed through supporting institutions and services, fostering increased productivity and production, and where feasible, upgrading profitable agriculture/livestock value chains.
General Directorate of extension is the main stakeholders of the program and will lead the implementation of two sub components 1. Extension services and 2. Small-holder Institutional development and Capacity Building. G.D of extension will establish program management unit under overall supervision of G.D general director who will be responsible for the implementation of the relate activities in three provinces.
Extension sub components will strengthen the extension directorate by: (i) establishing a women’s extension department in Kabul and a cadre of 12 female extension workers specialising in agriculture and livestock, in line with the Taksheel, across the six pilot districts; (ii) strengthening the male extension worker cadre at district level in agriculture and livestock; (iii) targeting young graduates from local agricultural faculties to be recruited as extension assistants, under the Taksheel, funded by the project in years 1-3 and by MAIL thereafter; and, (iv) adapting the curriculum, in collaboration with relevant MAIL directorates, using updated techniques.
Small-holder Institutional development and Capacity Building will strengthen the female CDCs through an orientation and training program guaranteeing female CDCs’ direct control over financial resources, over some elements of project implementation and over female beneficiary selection.
Under the overall supervision of the General Director of Extension and direct supervision of Provincial Extension advisor the extension workers will be based in (Herat). The Extension worker will work closely with farmers groups, enhance their capacity to identify extension and agriculture development issues, develop plans and retain sustainable income resources.
|Date Posted:||16 Sep 2017||Reference:||12237/SNaPP2/MAIL|
|Closing Date:||30 Sep 2017||Work Type:||Full Time|
|Number of Vacancies:||1||Gender:||Male|
|Functional Area:||Agriculture||Open Ended:||NO|
|Nationality:||Afghan||Salary Range:||As per NTA Salary Scale Policy|
|Contract Type:||Short Term||Years of Experience:||2 Year(s)|
|Contract Duration:||0 Year(s) & 0 Month(s)||Extension Possibility:||Yes|
|Probation Period:||3 Months|
Duties and Responsibilities
The key focus of extension service under SNaPP2 will be development of community groups, Farmers Resource Centre (FRC), community-based facilitators, community planning and implementation of development actions based on demand driven and participatory methods in collaboration with the CDCs and other groups.
- Assist in development of farmer groups in coordination with the district extension managers and Community Development councils (CDCs) in order to work efficiently and effectively.
- Assist farmer groups to identify priority Extension and Agricultural development issues and formulate community-based action plans.
- Establish community based farmer facilitators (e.g. village-based animal health worker, farmer field school facilitator, home nutrition coach, etc.)
- Provide extension services for farmer along the value chain: input provision, land preparation, production, harvest and post-harvest, agro processing and commercialization of the agricultural products (crops, livestock and forest) through various methods of extension and communication.
- Establish and Support Farmer's Resource Centres (FRCs), farmer’s interest groups and producers' associations, and to facilitate private sector linkages.
- Establish and Support Field Farmers Schools (FFS) with close coordination of Extension workers.
- Help small-scale and marginalized farmers to form groups (e.g. self-help) and support to increase their income through diversification and intensification of their farming and introducing of alternative livelihood opportunities.
- Identify farmers’ needs, problems and feedback, and communicate it to provincial extension unit and local research institutions.
- Monitor, evaluate and report on extension and agriculture sector developments at the district and communities to provincial extension advisor/coordinator.
- Coordinate with research units and convince farmer on adoption of new technologies, motivate participatory on-farmers field trail researches, persuade farmers to visit from extension demos and research farms, and promote linkage to near research units for development of extension workers technical skills.
- Compile the community-based extension plans and develop overall district extension service plan / package in target districts.
- Coordinate to develop, manage and conduct the workshops and trainings and other agricultural extension education models.
- Any other tasks assigned by supervisor.
• Working knowledge of the sector and experience in agriculture
• Good report and success stories writing skills.
• Must be fluent in local languagesand good in English language
• Ability of working in rural areas (District and Village).
• Good written and oral communication skills, as well as strong interpersonal skills.
• Must have basic computer knowledge ( office packages and internet)
• Minimum Bachler Degree in agriculture preferably Extension, Agronomy or Horticulture.
• At least 2 years of relevant work experience.
• The candidate should be willing to – ultimately- enrol under the civil service an opportunity arises under the transition programme.
Afghanistan - Herat
Bachelors Degree, Agriculture
The interested candidates should submit their resume alone with a covering letter as follow conditions:
• Please send your CV along with a cover letter
• Subject line must be: (Extension worker- 12237/SNaPP2/MAIL) otherwise your application will NOT be considered.
• Candidate’s educational degree must be attested with Ministry of Higher Education - Afghanistan otherwise we will not accept the application in short listing process.
• Please note that application received after the closing date will not be considered.
• Only short listed candidates whose application responds to the above criteria will be contacted for interview.
|More jobs in this category|
|Seeds of Hope Provincial Coordinator Assistan.. at NEI (Nutrition and Edu..||Bamian||03 Oct 2017|
|National Post Harvest & Food Technology Devel.. at Food and Agriculture O..||Herat||30 Sep 2017|
|National Gender & Social Development Speciali.. at Food and Agriculture O..||Herat||30 Sep 2017|
|National Crops / Horticulture & Seed Industry.. at Food and Agriculture O..||Herat||30 Sep 2017|
|National Wheat/Seed Industry Development Spec.. at Food and Agriculture O..||Herat||30 Sep 2017|
|National Dairy Industry Development Specialis.. at Food and Agriculture O..||Herat||30 Sep 2017|
|National Value Chain Development Specialist &.. at Food and Agriculture O..||Herat||30 Sep 2017|
|East Regional Coordinator at NEI (Nutrition and Education International)||Nangarhar||24 Sep 2017|
|National Dairy Development Consultant at CLAP-MAIL||Kabul||25 Sep 2017|