Senior Financial Management Specialist(1121 Views)
The Government of the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan (GoIRA), through its 2006 Afghanistan National Development Strategy (ANDS), set out ambitious three to five year goals for increasing access to electricity. The aim was for electricity supply to reach at least 65 percent of households and 90 percent of non-residential establishments in major urban areas and at least 25 percent of households in rural areas. This would have represented a considerable increase over the rate of electrification – which had last been reliably estimated at six percent nationwide in 2003. More recent estimates suggest that some 25-30 percent of households have access to grid electricity. There appears to be no reliable estimate for the number of people with access to off-grid electricity although there is some 134MW of small hydro, diesel generators and solar power installed.
Responsibility for management and operation of the electricity system rests with Da Afghanistan Breshna Sherkat (DABS), the national electricity utility. Until 2009, DABS was a department of the Ministry of Energy and Water (MEW). DABS’s corporatization has been accompanied by a strong program of commercialization supported by the World Bank and more recently by USAID. DABS are responsible for the installed domestic generation capacity, including about 230MW of hydropower and with it Naghlu Hydropower Plant, although only about 138MW is currently in service.
DABS World Bank funded projects Unit is currently handling the following projects:
1. Naghlu Hydropower Rehabilitation Projects (NHRP)
2. Herat Electrification Project (HEP)
3. CASA 1000
4. Afghanistan Power Sector Development Project (APSDP)
5. DABS Planning and Capacity Support Project (DPCSP)
DABS intend to hire the services of an experienced professional as Manager Finance – World Bank Projects to manage the financial management aspects of the World Bank financed projects being implemented by DABS.
Senior Financial Management specialist will have the overall responsibility to ensure that financial management arrangements of the World Bank financed projects are maintained in accordance with legal agreements and relevant World Bank, DABS and government guidelines and procedures. Manager Finance will supervise the work of the financial management team working on World Bank projects that include two financial management specialists and few support staff.
|Date Posted:||30 Sep 2017||Reference:||VA-DABS-HQs/96-0147|
|Closing Date:||15 Oct 2017||Work Type:||Full Time|
|Number of Vacancies:||1||Gender:||Any|
|Functional Area:||Account/Finance||Open Ended:||NO|
|Nationality:||Afghan||Salary Range:||As per company salary scale|
|Contract Type:||Contractor||Years of Experience:||7 Year(s)|
|Contract Duration:||0 Year(s) & 0 Month(s)||Extension Possibility:||No|
|Probation Period:||6 Months|
Duties and Responsibilities
Sr. Financial Management specialist will have the overall responsibility to ensure that financial management arrangements of the World Bank financed projects are maintained in accordance with legal agreements and relevant World Bank, DABS and government guidelines and procedures. Manager Finance will supervise the work of the financial management team working on World Bank projects that include two financial management specialists and few support staff.
General Management and Leadership
• Serve as the primary point of contact for the World Bank on all financial management and disbursement matters.
• Coach and mentor FM and other project staff on financial management.
• Keep DABS management abreast the latest developments and issues in financial management.
• Participate in relevant project meetings and progress reviews, and advise DABS management on all financial matters, as and when required.
• Implement a financial management information system for accounting and reporting of all World Bank projects.
• Prepare a detailed chart of accounts to be used for World Bank funded projects that facilitates accounting and reporting with multiple dimensions.
Budgeting and Planning
• Support the project teams in preparation of annual Work Plans and prepare annual Cash Plans and cash forecasts based on Work Plans.
• In accordance with government and DABS rules and regulations, prepare annual budget estimates based on Work Plan/Cash Plan and submit to MOF and relevant forum for approval.
• Prepare annual and quarterly disbursement forecasts for all components of the project in line with project’s procurement plan and Work Plan/Cash Plan.
• Ensure that the Special Accounts to be established for the project in DAB are administered in accordance with WB and MoF requirements.
• Prepare realistic cash forecasts on quarterly basis in close coordination with sector specialists and submit to the donor for advance and replenishment of advance.
• Prepare and process withdrawal application in accordance with the Bank’s Disbursement Guidelines & Procedures for drawing funds from the assignment accounts opened for each component.
• Track funds and follow up with DAB and the World Bank to ensure availability of funds.
• Periodically, and at least quarterly, reconcile project records with WB Client Connection records relating to disbursements from the WB grant.
• Liaise effectively as needed with MoF Budget and Treasury departments for smooth processing of project payments.
• Ensure compliance with internal control framework (Operations Manual, Financial Management Manual, SOPs and the Bank’s fiduciary guidelines etc.) and government rules and procedures while processing payments
• Ensure budget availability before processing any transaction; and that applicable sanctioning and approval procedures are followed.
• Apply pre-audit checks on all payments before payment from the assignment accounts.
• Ensure that No Objection Letter (NOL) is obtained from the Bank for every prior review activity before processing any payment.
• Manage financial aspects of the contracts under administration, including payment terms, purchase orders and variation orders.
Accounting and Record Management
• Record all transactions in timely and accurate manner in books of accounts and ensure that no expenditure remained unaccounted.
• Maintain accounts on cash basis as per government and DABS accounting procedure.
• Oversee the process of entering transaction level data in the financial management system and generating vouchers from the system
• Ensure up-to-date maintenance of adequate registers, books of accounts and records in appropriate order and format to meet the government and donors’ requirements and to facilitate classification and analyzing the financial information for monitoring the projects progress.
• Prepare supplementary record which provides timely and up-to-date financial information of contracts.
• Maintain imprest of petty cash and ensure separate petty cash book and petty cash vouchers are maintained.
• Prepare monthly bank reconciliation statements of the designated/special account.
• Be the payroll manager, responsible for accurate and timely payment of salaries of staff. Prepare and process monthly payroll and obtain management approval prior to making any payment under salaries.
• Ensure that the fixed assets records are maintained for the projects identifying location and user of each asset and arrange for the annual and periodical inventory of the assets and updating of the records.
• Ensure safe custody of all financial records for review by Bank Missions, third party monitoring agents; and external & internal auditors.
• Ensure that project transactions are reconciled periodically with AFMIS data and DAB bank statements, at least on a monthly basis.
• Prepare periodic financial reports for each project and submit to the management for review and approval.
• Ensure that annual financial statements and other monthly and quarterly reports as specified under the under the Financing Agreement and as per recommended/suggested by Bank supervision missions are accurately prepared and timely submitted.
• Define and produce other financial reports, as and when required by the management.
• Make arrangements for timely initiation and completion audit of projects and ensure that report produced is in compliance with audit requirements of the Government and the Bank
• Ensure the projects are adequately reflected in audit plan of internal auditors and that internal audit is periodically conducted in accordance with the internal audit plan.
• Cooperating with World Bank, Government and other partners to improve project financial management, particularly in terms of following up the action points agreed in the project legal documents, during the World Bank supervision missions, Aide Memoires and the recommendations of external auditors and internal auditors.
• Attend entry and exit meetings with external auditors, facilitate timely completion of audits by arranging timely submission of annual financial statement in appropriate format, supply of information and documents responding to queries.
• Prepare working papers on audit observations raised by external auditors and arrange meeting to settle the audit observations to the extent legally and logically possible.
• In addition to annual audit, facilitate all other reviews such as internal audit by MoF, Bank review and any other review by donors/ government.
• Analytical ability, practical problem-solving skills and resourcefulness in performing varied tasks in the area;
• Demonstrated skills in retrieving, gathering and obtaining information from various sources;
• Sound organizational skills and ability to prioritize and deliver assignments in a timely manner often under severe time pressures;
• Demonstrated initiative in developing practical approaches that improve efficiency and effectiveness of the project;
• Strong inter-personnel skills and commitment to work in a team-oriented, multi-cultural environment;
• Language skills: Fluent oral and written skills in English; and one of the national Language (Pashtu or Dari) is required
• Computer literacy: Proficient in PC based applications such as Word, Excel and Power Points as well sound knowledge of Financial Software etc.
• A professional accounting qualification (CA/ACCA/CPA) or a Master’s Degree in finance, commerce or accounting from a reputable university.
• At least five years financial management or audit experience of which two years as head of finance in a large organization or a large World Bank/other donor funded project.
Afghanistan - Kabul
Bachelors Degree, Account/Finance
It is your responsibility to verify that information entered in your Resume / CV that are uploaded are received and are accurate. Documents must be uploaded as the correct document type Word Format) or they will not be considered. Example: Resume must be submitted as a Resume. Recruitment Team will not modify, change or contact you regarding the completeness or accuracy of your application. If a document is not legible, you will not be able to attend the interview and you must again upload it by the close date.
NOTE: DO NOT upload performance appraisals, letters of recommendations, miscellaneous certificates, training plans or position descriptions. These documents will not be used qualify you.
Resume / CV: A Resume / CV in English is required. It must contain your full legal name, address, phone number, a detailed description of your law enforcement duties and the dates you performed those duties (DD/MM/YY). Upload as 'Resume' / ‘CV’
|More jobs in this category|
|Finance Assistant (Female) at Unique Atlantic Telecommunication LTD||Kabul||28 Dec 2017|
|Monitoring & Capacity Building Officer at Alfalah Consulting Service (ACS..||Kabul||23 Dec 2017|
|(Financial Reporting Officer) کارمند ر.. at DABS||Kabul||23 Dec 2017|
|مدیر جنسی at DABS||Kabul||23 Dec 2017|
|DATA PROCESSING OFFICER - Re announced at Alfalah Consulting Service (AC..||Kabul||17 Dec 2017|
|VOUCHER EXAMINER (FSN-07) Trainee Level (FSN-.. at U.S. Embassy||Kabul||14 Dec 2017|
|Accounting Associate at Afghanistan Holding Group||Kabul||16 Dec 2017|
|Cashier at Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF)||Kabul||20 Dec 2017|
|Internal Audit at SDROA||Kabul||21 Dec 2017|
|Sr. finance assistant and voucher examiner at IFRC||Kabul||16 Dec 2017|
|Finance Assistant at Jahan University||Kabul||15 Dec 2017|
|Finanace Manager at Jahan University||Kabul||14 Dec 2017|
|Machinery Controller Officer at Aziz Group||Kabul||31 Dec 2017|
|Finance Analyst at Youth in Action Consulting Company||Multi Cities||15 Apr 2018|
|Female Finance Analyst at Youth in Action Consulting Company||Multi Cities||15 Aug 2018|