The International Development Law Organization (IDLO) is an inter-governmental development organization with headquarters in Rome and program offices in Kabul and several other provinces in Afghanistan. IDLO fulfils its mandate by providing training, technical assistance, research, and publication to governments, non-governmental organizations (NGOs), local communities, and professional associations in developing countries, countries in economic transition, and countries emerging from armed conflict. IDLO began working in Afghanistan in 2001 and has become a leading partner of Afghan government, donor countries and international agencies to achieve the common goal of strengthening the rule of law. Afghanistan has been an IDLO Member Country since 2012.
The Translator/ Interpreter will work under the direct supervision of the Lead Translator/Editor. S/he will undertake translation and interpretation assignments, mainly of a legal nature, and provide full support to IDLO translation services. The Translator/Interpreter will be responsible for the following duties:
|Date Posted:||08 Oct 2017||Reference:||IDLO/SAJA/14/2017|
|Closing Date:||20 Oct 2017||Work Type:||Full Time|
|Number of Vacancies:||2||Gender:||Any|
|Functional Area:||Translation||Open Ended:||NO|
|Nationality:||Afghan||Salary Range:||1400 to 1600 USD|
|Contract Type:||Special Service Contract||Years of Experience:||3 Year(s)|
|Contract Duration:||1 Year(s) & 0 Month(s)||Extension Possibility:||Yes|
|Probation Period:||3 Months|
Duties and Responsibilities
1. Undertake a range of translation and interpretation assignments in Dari, Pashto, and/or English language ensuring that the meaning of the source text is retained. Translation involves a range of legal and technical documents, reports, formal text, manuscripts, official correspondence, publications and other materials. Produce accurate and complete versions in the target language using the most appropriate vocabulary and commonly accepted equivalents of legal, scientific or technical terminology.
2. Translate according to established rules pertaining to factors such as word meanings, sentence structure, grammar, and punctuation.
3. Do research related to the texts and/or subject matter to find the correct legal, technical, or other appropriate translation.
4. Use special dictionaries, thesauruses and reference books to find the closest equivalents for words and terminology.
5. Contribute to the development of multilingual glossaries used by translators / interpreters at IDLO.
6. Proofread, edit and provide final translated versions with a grammatically correct, well-expressed version of the translated text.
7. Meet deadlines as established by supervisor.
8. Revise translations made by other staff as needed.
9. Provide consecutive or simultaneous interpretation into the target language in a variety of settings, e.g., IDLO classes, external meetings, and/or roundtables normally dealing with a substantive topic.
10. Any other duties that may be assigned by the supervisor.
• Precision in drafting and editing;
• Ability to function effectively in high pressure environment with quick deadlines;
• Excellent interpersonal skills;
• Excellent spoken and written English and Dari and/or Pashto;
• Proficiency in MS Office products, including MS Word, MS Excel and MS Outlook, and PowerPoint;
• Good research skills and the ability to synthesize, draft and edit complex information;
• Strong problem solving and time management skills;
• Flexibility and initiative.
• Bachelor degree in Law; Dari, Pashto, or English language or literature; journalism; gender studies; or a related field.
• Advanced University Degree (Masters or equivalent) in related field is a plus.
• Three years of experience working in professional translation and simultaneous or consecutive interpretation required;
• Ability to continuously keep current with Afghan legal concepts, gender issues, and related terminology and language;
• Translation and interpretation in a legal setting or gender programs.
Expert proficiency in written and spoken Dari and English is essential. Pashtu strongly encouraged.
Afghanistan - Kabul: PROVINCIAL CENTER (KABUL)
Bachelors Degree, Translation
Please submit your CV and indicate clearly in the subject of your e-mail the position for which you are applying.
Carefully review the above vacancy and ensure your experience and qualification meets the criteria.
Application that does not meet the above criteria will not be considered.
Shortlisted candidates will be invited for interviews or written test after the position has closed.
|More jobs in this category|
|Curriculum Project Pashto Translator at UNESCO Kabul||Kabul||28 Feb 2018|
|Translator at Shahid Sardar Mohamad Dawood khan translation services (SMD..||Kabul||28 Feb 2018|