Lead Translator-Editor(1515 Views)
Headquartered in Rome, the International Development Law Organization (IDLO) is an intergovernmental body comprised of 27 member countries, including the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan. IDLO has operated in over 170 countries, in particular those that are developing, in economic transition, and emerging from armed conflict. IDLO is dedicated to the promotion of the rule of law and works to empower people and communities to claim their rights, and provides governments with the know-how to respect, protect and fulfil rights. IDLO implements its mandate by providing training and technical assistance, and produces research and publications for governments, non-governmental organizations, local communities and professional associations. IDLO has operated in Afghanistan since 2002
The Lead Translator-Editor for the IDLO Afghanistan program will work under the overall direction of the chief of party. S/he will manage the IDLO translation unit, undertake translation assignments, edit all products of the translation team, ensure accurate translations are produced on a timely basis, and ensure competent interpretation is provided to managers and staff when needed.
|Date Posted:||08 Oct 2017||Reference:||IDLO/SAJA/15/2017|
|Closing Date:||20 Oct 2017||Work Type:||Full Time|
|Number of Vacancies:||1||Gender:||Any|
|Functional Area:||Translation||Open Ended:||NO|
|Nationality:||Afghan||Salary Range:||1600 to 2400 USD|
|Contract Type:||Special Service Contract||Years of Experience:||5 Year(s)|
|Contract Duration:||1 Year(s) & 0 Month(s)||Extension Possibility:||Yes|
|Probation Period:||3 Months|
Duties and Responsibilities
Duties are described below:
1. Support the IDLO program by managing the translation unit and translators / interpreters.
2. Receive translation assignments from different program components and return the translated materials back to the relevant component by the deadline. Ensure that the meaning of the source text is retained. Translation involves a range of documents, reports, formal text, manuscripts, official correspondence, publications and other materials mainly related to legal and gender issues.
3. Edit all the translation outputs produced by the translation unit and provide a final, accurate version of the translated text.
4. Translate and edit according to established rules pertaining to word meanings, sentence structure, grammar, punctuation, etc.
5. Do research related to the texts or subject matter, and use special dictionaries, thesauruses and reference tools to find the legal, technical, scientific or other phraseology for the correct translation.
6. Contribute to the ongoing development of multilingual glossaries for use by the translators / interpreters.
7. Meet deadlines as agreed to with heads of components.
8. Revise translations made by other staff as needed.
9. Provide consecutive or simultaneous interpretation into the target language in a variety of settings, e.g., IDLO classes, meetings, and other events normally dealing with a particular substantive topic. Ensure the meaning is faithful to the original language.
10. Carry out administrative work in connection with staff roles and all editing, translation, and interpretation assignments.
11. Train the unit staff as necessary.
12. Perform other duties that may be assigned by the chief of party.
Strong management skills;
Excellent formal writing skills;
Excellent editing skills and knowledge;
Ability to continuously keep current with Afghan legal concepts, terminology, and language;
Strong research skills and the ability to synthesize, draft and edit complex information.
Strong computer skills (MS Word, PowerPoint, Excel, and Internet);
Highly organized and capable of managing staff and administrative processes;
Demonstrated problem solving skills and initiative.
Thorough knowledge of Afghan law, especially criminal law, is a plus.
EDUCATION / QUALIFICATIONS
• Bachelor degree in Law; Dari, Pashto, or English language or literature; journalism; gender studies; or a related field.
• Advanced university degree (masters or equivalent) in related field is a plus.
• At least five years of experience working in professional translation, editing, and simultaneous or consecutive interpretation;
• At least one year of supervisory and management experience;
• Translation and interpretation in a legal setting or gender program is preferred.
• Experience as a legal practitioner is a plus.
Superior interpersonal and communication skills, including ability to listen and respect others and to manage collaborative relationships;
Self-motivated, works well in a team, and is supportive with others;
Ability to work effectively in a fast-paced environment with short deadlines;
Positive attitude, flexibility, comfortable in working in multi-cultural settings;
A keen sense of ethics, integrity, and commitment to IDLO's mandate and code of conduct.
Professional proficiency in written and spoken Dari and English is essential. Strong Pashtu writing and speaking ability is desired.
Afghanistan - Kabul: PROVINCIAL CENTER (KABUL)
Bachelors Degree, Translation
Please submit your cover letter and CV as a single Word or PDF file, and indicate clearly in the email subject field the specific title of the position for which you are applying.
Please read the above vacancy and make sure your experience and qualifications meet the criteria. Cover letters and CVs that do not demonstrate the above criteria will not be considered.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Shortlisted candidates will be asked to participate in a test to assess English, Dari, and Pashto translation and interpretation skills.
No email provided, please refer to Submission Guideline above
|More jobs in this category|
|Curriculum Project Pashto Translator at UNESCO Kabul||Kabul||28 Feb 2018|
|Translator at Shahid Sardar Mohamad Dawood khan translation services (SMD..||Kabul||28 Feb 2018|