Horticulture Officer(1580 Views)
Comprehensive Agriculture and Rural Development – Facility (CARD-F) aims to increase employment, income and business opportunities primarily targeting rural masses through the design, facilitation and implementation of commercially viable value chains supplemented with rural infrastructure projects in the target provinces of Afghanistan. CARD-F provides needs-based services and support to create and sustain licit businesses in rural communities by providing alternative livelihood opportunities. As a model of cross-ministry collaboration, CARD-F works under the patronage of an Inter-Ministerial Committee (IMC) that consists of the Ministry of Agriculture and Livestock, the Ministry of Rural Rehabilitation and Development, the Ministry of Counter Narcotics and the Ministry of Finance. The IMC is led by the Ministry of Counter Narcotics.
Funded by the British and Danish government, CARD-F seeks to diminish poppy cultivation and empowers rural communities and strengthens their economic standing through Economic Development Packages (EDP), especially customized packages to support critical value chains, identify bottlenecks and provide solutions. EDPs are implemented in two different modalities, through implementing partners and direct implementation unit of CARD-F.
The Facility supports development of agricultural growth opportunities and complementary investments such as infrastructure, processing and marketing. CARD-F phase II ends in December
The Horticulture Officer will work under the direct supervision of Provincial Manager and overall supervision of CARD-F Implementation Coordinator and is responsible for the training and technology transfer to the project Extension Agents and the beneficiary farmers in order to improve the capacity of the High value crops farmers and bioclimatic stores entrepreneurs’ and raise their incomes through effective delivery of the needed technical services. Detailed responsibilities of the Horticulture Officer are as under:
|Date Posted:||11 Oct 2017||Reference:||CARD-F-LGR-20-17|
|Closing Date:||20 Oct 2017||Work Type:||Full Time|
|Number of Vacancies:||1||Gender:||Male|
|Functional Area:||Agriculture||Open Ended:||NO|
|Nationality:||Afghan||Salary Range:||As per NTA Salary Scale Policy|
|Contract Type:||Fixed-term||Years of Experience:||4 Year(s)|
|Contract Duration:||0 Year(s) & 11 Month(s)||Extension Possibility:||No|
|Probation Period:||3 Months|
Duties and Responsibilities
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Assist and train farmers on best practices regarding the use, maintenance and management of bioclimatic store, and on cultivation of high value crops (Onions and Potatoes);
• Assess the farmers' current practices and provide guidance on how to address any issues that may limit productivity;
• Train project Extension Agents on best production techniques, horticulture management and use of crop calendar;
• Analyze the current situation of High Value Crops production in the province and recommend different varieties of onions and potatoes for cultivation;
• Provide support to selected entrepreneurs on cultivation techniques of high value crops e.g. planting, managing, irrigation, fertilization, harvesting and storage of high value crops;
• Provide support to selected entrepreneurs on proper pests, diseases and insects management and use of various chemicals if required;
• Provide support to selected entrepreneurs on proper maintenance, management and use of the bioclimatic stores;
• Provide training to the bioclimatic stores entrepreneurs in relation to maintenance, management and use of bioclimatic stores as well as in relation to selection of the vegetables to be stored;
• Provide training to the farmers on the establishment and transplant of nursery for onions cultivation;
• Provide training to the farmers on the efficient and effective use of irrigation water and introduce them the most efficient irrigation systems;
• Establish and provide regular extension services to all high value crops farmers and bioclimatic stores entrepreneurs and conduct FFS;
• Coordinate closely with suppliers of Farms Support package materials during the distribution phase of the project;
• Coordinate closely with suppliers of bioclimatic stores construction and other materials during the construction phase of the project;
• Deliver agricultural extension services to project beneficiaries during the project implementation period;
• Advice high value crops farmers on better use of fertilizer, water and other resources required for cultivation of the crops;
• Ensure that bioclimatic stores are designed in accordance with the approved standards considering the quality assurance and quality control functions;
• Advice and take active part with regards to beneficiary selection, site selection, land preparation
and other activities;
• Advice the entrepreneurs in relation to nutrition/fertilization including type of fertilizer (compost) and their application techniques;
• Report on weekly and monthly basis to the Project Manager and the Implementation Coordinator of CARD-F; and
• Undertake other duties and responsibilities commensurate with the role and level of this job as may be requested by the Project Manager or Implementation Coordinator.
Travels to Provinces
Require Travels to Provinces
• Candidate must have competencies in communicating in English and local languages;
• Well-developed reporting skills – both narrative and financial reporting;
• Ability to provide technical supervision motivates, train and develop project staff.
Required Education degree:
• University degree in Agriculture discipline, specialization in horticulture or related subjects.
• Master degree in above discipline will be given preference.
• Minimum 4 years of working experience in related field.
• Preference will be given to those who have hands on experience with respect to Bioclimatic stores establishment, high value crops production, farmers training and the provision of extension services.
• Have experience in implementing Agriculture and Rural Development projects.
• Familiarity with conduct of production level analysis, market analysis, and vegetable marketing also desirable.
Afghanistan - Logar
Bachelors Degree, Agriculture
Please read the submission steps in order to have a successful application. By Electronic submission:
Preferably, you should apply electronically by your CV and a one-page cover letter explaining your interest and suitability for the position to Email address given below.
Please specify only and only vacancy number “CARD-F-LGR-20-17” in the subject line of your Email
DO NOT attach any other documents and certificates only Your CV and Cover letter
If you are unable to apply online then submit a hard copy of your CV and a one- page covering letter in an envelope marked “Confidential”. Please note clearly on the envelope the VA number and position for which you are applying for. The envelope should be addressed to:
CARD-F Office, Evergreen Building, Ministry of Agriculture Irrigation and Livestock, Kart-e-Sakhi
Square, Jamal Meena, Kabul, Afghanistan.
1. Candidates from Logar Province will be given preference:
2. Applications received after the deadline will not be considered.
3. Only short listed candidates will be contacted.
|More jobs in this category|
|Commercial Layer Farms Consultant at CARD-F||Multi Cities||30 Jun 2018|
|Hatchery Consultant at CARD-F||Multi Cities||30 Jun 2018|
|Breeder Consultant at CARD-F||Multi Cities||30 Jun 2018|
|Breeder & Hatchery Consultant at CARD-F||Kandahar||30 Jun 2018|
|Field Coordinator at DACAAR||Kandahar||07 Jul 2018|