Livestock Officer(1053 Views)
Comprehensive Agriculture and Rural Development – Facility (CARD-F) aims to increase employment, income and business opportunities primarily targeting rural masses through the design, facilitation and implementation of commercially viable value chains supplemented with rural infrastructure projects in the target provinces of Afghanistan. CARD-F provides needs-based services and support to create and sustain licit businesses in rural communities by providing alternative livelihood opportunities. As a model of cross-ministry collaboration, CARD-F works under the patronage of an Inter-Ministerial Committee (IMC) that consists of the Ministry of Agriculture and Livestock, the Ministry of Rural Rehabilitation and Development, the Ministry of Counter Narcotics and the Ministry of Finance. The IMC is led by the Ministry of Counter Narcotics.
Funded by the British and Danish government, CARD-F seeks to diminish poppy cultivation and empowers rural communities and strengthens their economic standing through Economic Development Packages (EDP), especially customized packages to support critical value chains, identify bottlenecks and provide solutions. EDPs are implemented in two different modalities, through implementing partners and direct implementation unit of CARD-F.
The Facility supports development of agricultural growth opportunities and complementary investments such as infrastructure, processing and marketing. CARD-F phase II ends in December 2018.
The Livestock Officer will work under the direct supervision of provincial manager at provincial level and overall supervision of implementation coordinator at HQ. He/she will responsible for the training and capacity building of dairy producing households (male farmers for the production of fodder crops and female beneficiaries for the cattle management) in order to improve the quality and quantity of milk production. He will also be responsible to regularly provide training and extension services to poultry farmers in Helmand province. Followings are the specific responsibilities of the livestock officer
|Date Posted:||04 Nov 2017||Reference:||CARD-F-HLD-22-17|
|Closing Date:||17 Nov 2017||Work Type:||Full Time|
|Number of Vacancies:||1||Gender:||Male|
|Functional Area:||Agriculture||Open Ended:||NO|
|Nationality:||Afghan||Salary Range:||As per NTA Salary Scale Policy|
|Contract Type:||Fixed-term||Years of Experience:||4 Year(s)|
|Contract Duration:||0 Year(s) & 10 Month(s)||Extension Possibility:||No|
|Probation Period:||3 Months|
Duties and Responsibilities
• Ensure appropriate and timely implementation of activities related to dairy production, collection and processing in the project area;
• Assist the Provincial Manager in selection of appropriate locations for construction of milk collection centers (MCCs) and sub-centers, selection of milk operators and sub-operators;
• Actively involve and take the lead in the process of beneficiary selection for the project;
• Advise livestock owners on disease control and animal husbandry methods;
• Prepare seasonal calendar of dairy activities for districts where the project works and train farmers on its usage;
• Provide technical enterprise development support to the dairy processing entrepreneur in Helmand Province;
• Provide technical assistance in developing an appropriate marketing strategy for the milk processor;
• Provide technical assistance to the processor on product diversification and maximizing the income from the use of existing machineries;
• Work with the milk processor for sourcing of required quantity and quality of milk supplied from MCCs;
• Ensure the milk supplied to the processing company gets tested in the MCCs and properly recorded;
• Provide training to project Extension Agents on cattle management and animal husbandry;
• Ensure that project beneficiaries are trained on proper cattle management and animal husbandry practices;
• Provide support to improve the marketing, business management and technical skills of the selected processor;
• Work with project beneficiaries on milk processing at household level as a means of ensuring maximum value addition in this value chain;
• Assist and train farmers on best practices regarding the broiler, breeder, hatcheries and layer farming to improve the quality and quantity of their production;
• Assess the farmers' current practices and provide guidance on how to correct any issues that may limit productivity;
• Train the farmers/entrepreneurs on best broiler farming and poultry management;
• Provide support to selected entrepreneurs on poultry facility design, construction, installation, maintenance and the overall poultry farm management;
• Deliver poultry related extension services to project beneficiaries during the project implementation period;
• Advice entrepreneur owners on better use of animal feed, housing, water, and other important aspects of broiler, breeder, hatcheries and layer farming and poultry rearing;
• Train the extension services on identification and solution of diseases and other poultry rearing problems;
• Advice and take active part with regards to beneficiary selection, site selection, farm design, supplier selection, and other activities;
• Prepare seasonal calendar of poultry activities at national level and province and train farmers on its usage,
• Coordinate with other programs/ projects operating in the poultry sector in the province;
• Assist field staff in conducting beneficiaries surveys;
• Solve local technical poultry issues where possible and report on-going problems including outbreaks of disease and poultry mortality;
• Any other tasks assigned by the Provincial Manager or Project Implementation Coordinator.
Travels to Provinces
Require Travels to Provinces
• Candidate must have competencies in communicating in English and local languages;
• Well-developed reporting skills – both narrative and financial reporting;
• Ability to provide technical supervision motivates, train and develop project staff.
Required Education degree:
• Bachelor degree in Veterinary science or Doctor of Veterinary Medical (DVM).
• Master degree in above discipline will be given preference.
• Minimum 4 years of working experience in related field.
• Preference will be given to those who have hands on experience with respect to poultry farms, diary sector, farmers training and the provision of extension services in related discipline.
• Have experience in Poultry and Dairy projects with donor funded organization.
• Familiarity with conduct of production level analysis, market analysis, and Poultry and Dairy marketing are desirable.
Afghanistan - Helmand: PROVINCIAL CENTER (LASHKAR GAH)
Bachelors Degree, Agriculture
Please read the submission steps in order to have a successful application.
By Electronic submission:
Preferably, you should apply electronically by your CV and a one-page cover letter explaining your interest and suitability for the position to Email address given below.
Please specify only and only vacancy number “CARD-F-HLD-22-17” in the subject line of your Email
DO NOT attach any other documents and certificates only Your CV and Cover letter
If you are unable to apply online then submit a hard copy of your CV and a one- page covering letter in an envelope marked “Confidential”. Please note clearly on the envelope the VA number and position for which you are applying for. The envelope should be addressed to:
CARD-F Office, Evergreen Building, Ministry of Agriculture Irrigation and Livestock, Kart-e-Sakhi Square, Jamal Meena, Kabul, Afghanistan.
1. Candidates from Helmand Province will be given preference:
2. Applications received after the deadline will not be considered.
3. Only short listed candidates will be contacted.
|More jobs in this category|
|Female Poultry Extension Agent at CARD-F||Kabul||30 Mar 2018|
|Watershed Management Officer at MAIL/CPMO||Kunduz||31 Mar 2018|
|Field Officer at DACAAR||Multi Cities||12 Apr 2018|
|Gardener باغبان at GEO-CHEM Middle East - Afghanistan||Kabul||29 Mar 2018|
|Social Water Management Specialist at MAIL/CPMO||Multi Cities||30 Mar 2018|
|Agronomist at MAIL/CPMO||Multi Cities||30 Mar 2018|
|OFWM Engineer at MAIL/CPMO||Multi Cities||30 Mar 2018|
|Irrigation Engineer at MAIL/CPMO||Multi Cities||30 Mar 2018|
|National Seed Program Coordinator (Re announc.. at ( Ministry of Agricul..||Kabul||31 Mar 2018|
|Livestock Extension Worker at SNaPP2-MAIL||Multi Cities||26 Mar 2018|
|National Database Assistant at Food and Agriculture Organization of the U..||Kabul||25 Mar 2018|