Agriculture Officer (Cotton)(482 Views)
Comprehensive Agriculture and Rural Development – Facility (CARD-F) aims to increase employment, income and business opportunities primarily targeting rural masses through the design, facilitation and implementation of commercially viable value chains supplemented with rural infrastructure projects in the target provinces of Afghanistan. CARD-F provides needs-based services and support to create and sustain licit businesses in rural communities by providing alternative livelihood opportunities. As a model of cross-ministry collaboration, CARD-F works under the patronage of an Inter-Ministerial Committee (IMC) that consists of the Ministry of Agriculture and Livestock, the Ministry of Rural Rehabilitation and Development, the Ministry of Counter Narcotics and the Ministry of Finance. The IMC is led by the Ministry of Counter Narcotics.
Funded by the British and Danish government, CARD-F seeks to diminish poppy cultivation and empowers rural communities and strengthens their economic standing through Economic Development Packages (EDP), especially customized packages to support critical value chains, identify bottlenecks and provide solutions. EDPs are implemented in two different modalities, through implementing partners and direct implementation unit of CARD-F.
The Facility supports development of agricultural growth opportunities and complementary investments such as infrastructure, processing and marketing. CARD-F phase II ends in December 2018.
The Agriculture Officer (Cotton) will work under the direct supervision of Helmand Provincial Manager and overall supervision of the Project Implementation Coordinator based in Kabul. He/ She will constantly liaise with Provincial Manager on all activities related to project implementation and day to day activities related to his position.
|Date Posted:||02 Dec 2017||Reference:||CARD-F-HLD-28-17|
|Closing Date:||16 Dec 2017||Work Type:||Full Time|
|Number of Vacancies:||1||Gender:||Male|
|Functional Area:||Agriculture||Open Ended:||NO|
|Nationality:||Afghan||Salary Range:||As per NTA Salary Scale Policy|
|Contract Type:||Long-term||Years of Experience:||4 Year(s)|
|Contract Duration:||0 Year(s) & 9 Month(s)||Extension Possibility:||No|
|Probation Period:||3 Months|
Duties and Responsibilities
Detailed responsibilities of the Agriculture officer (Cotton) are as under:
• Take active part in the selection of project beneficiaries/ entrepreneurs to be supported under the project i.e. mainly cotton ginners and spinners;
• Analyze the current situation of raw cotton production, productivity per hectare, the structure of the sector and trends, etc in Helmand province;
• Identify and prioritize the bottlenecks in relation to cotton production in Helmand province and propose recommendations for their improvement;
• Lead the beneficiary selection process according to the pre-determined criteria and involve the extension agents throughout the process;
• Set-up demonstration plots for practical training and product development;
• Develop cotton farmers capacity to increase the supply of quality cotton products. This may include providing trainings on best practices in cotton production, integrated pest management and crop management, irrigation, etc;
• Develop awareness of cotton farmers for their responsibilities as commercial suppliers and main players of the sector;
• Prepare training materials and train Extension Agents on the integrated cotton crop management which they will further transfer to the farmers;
• Conduct cotton production surveys and other needed surveys, analyze the data and prepare report on the findings as and when needed;
• Work with different government and non government agencies functioning in the cotton sector to identify the cotton varieties which are suitable for cultivation in Helmand and propose recommendation for improvement of the same;
• Adopt and demonstrate Best Management Practices for cotton in the farmer fields and ensure the Extension Agents provide extension services on regular basis;
• Prepare monthly and quarterly reports and make recommendations to improving the day to day field activities;
• Liaise with designated representatives of DAIL and other stakeholders at provincial level to ensure that they are aware of project progress and any issues that may require their attention and needs to address collaboratively;
• Regularly review and make timely recommendations on the proposed deliverables of the project;
• Be able and willing to travel frequently to the project areas; and
• Undertake other duties and responsibilities commensurate with the role and level of this job as may be requested by the Implementation Unit Head or Implementation Coordinator.
Travels to Provinces
Require Travels to Provinces
• Must be fluent in Pashto, Dari and English
• Strong team orientation and staff development skills;
• Performance management and improvement skills;
• Good written and oral communication skills, as well as strong interpersonal skills
• Ability to think strategically, as well as excellent innovation, lateral thinking and problems solving skills
• Bachelor degree in Agriculture Sciences with specialization in Industrial Crops, preferably with training relating to cotton sector.
• Master degree in the above disciplines would be given preference.
• For bachelor degree holders, at least 4 years of working experience in the cotton sector primarily in cotton production is required.
• For master degree holders, at least 2 years of working experience in the cotton sector primarily in cotton production is required.
Afghanistan - Helmand: PROVINCIAL CENTER (LASHKAR GAH)
Bachelors Degree, Agriculture
Please read the submission steps in order to have a successful application.
By Electronic submission:
Ideally, you should apply electronically by send your CV and a one-page cover letter explaining your interest and suitability for the position to Email address given below
Please SPECIFY ONLY VA number (CARD-F-HLD-28-17) in the subject line of your Email
DO NOT attach any other documents and certificates only Your CV and Cover letter
By Hard Copy:
Alternatively, you may submit a hard copy of your CV and a one-page covering letter in an envelope marked “Confidential”. Please note clearly on the envelope the VA number and position for which you are applying for. The envelope should be addressed to:
CARD-F Office, Evergreen Building, Ministry of Agriculture Irrigation and Livestock, Kart-e-Sakhi Square, Jamal Meena, Kabul, Afghanistan.
1. Candidates from Helmand province will be given preference:
2. Applications received after the deadline will not be considered.
3. Only short listed candidates will be contacted.
|More jobs in this category|
|Field Coordinator at DACAAR||Kandahar||31 Dec 2017|