Greenhouse Officer(1503 Views)
Comprehensive Agriculture and Rural Development – Facility (CARD-F) aims to increase employment, income and business opportunities primarily targeting rural masses through the design, facilitation and implementation of commercially viable value chains supplemented with rural infrastructure projects in the target provinces of Afghanistan. CARD-F provides needs-based services and support to create and sustain licit businesses in rural communities by providing alternative livelihood opportunities. As a model of cross-ministry collaboration, CARD-F works under the patronage of an Inter-Ministerial Committee (IMC) that consists of the Ministry of Agriculture and Livestock, the Ministry of Rural Rehabilitation and Development, the Ministry of Counter Narcotics and the Ministry of Finance. The IMC is led by the Ministry of Counter Narcotics.
Funded by the British and Danish government, CARD-F seeks to diminish poppy cultivation and empowers rural communities and strengthens their economic standing through Economic Development Packages (EDP), especially customized packages to support critical value chains, identify bottlenecks and provide solutions. EDPs are implemented in two different modalities, through implementing partners and direct implementation unit of CARD-F.
The Facility supports development of agricultural growth opportunities and complementary investments such as infrastructure, processing and marketing. CARD-F phase II ends in December 2018.
The Greenhouse Officer will constantly liaise with provincial/Project Manager and CARD-F Implementation Coordinator and is responsible for the training and technology transfer to the project Extension Agents and the beneficiary farmers in order to increase the greenhouse entrepreneurs’ incomes through the effective delivery of the needed technical services.
|Date Posted:||02 Dec 2017||Reference:||CARD-F-HLD-29-17|
|Closing Date:||16 Dec 2017||Work Type:||Full Time|
|Number of Vacancies:||1||Gender:||Male|
|Functional Area:||Agriculture||Open Ended:||NO|
|Nationality:||Afghan||Salary Range:||As per NTA Salary Scale Policy10000.0|
|Contract Type:||Long-term||Years of Experience:||4 Year(s)|
|Contract Duration:||0 Year(s) & 9 Month(s)||Extension Possibility:||No|
|Probation Period:||3 Months|
Duties and Responsibilities
Detailed responsibilities of the Greenhouse Officer are as under:
• Assist and train farmers on best practices regarding the use of greenhouse technology and doing agriculture under the controlled environment in order to improve the quality and quantity of their production;
• Assess the farmers' current practices and provide guidance on how to address any issues that may limit productivity;
• Train project Extension Agents on best production techniques, horticulture management, use of crop calendar and the greenhouse off-season production;
• Analyse the current situation of vegetable production in the province and recommend different vegetable varieties to be grown in the greenhouses;
• Provide support to selected entrepreneurs on greenhouse design, manufacturing, installation, maintenance and the overall greenhouse management;
• Provide training to greenhouse entrepreneurs in relation to off-season vegetable plantation, harvest, post-harvest handling, disease control and the overall management of the greenhouse and controlled environment;
• Design and develop the irrigation system of the greenhouses and contribute in proper maintenance of the irrigation system;
• Establish and provide regular extension services to all greenhouse entrepreneurs and conduct FFS;
• Coordinate closely with suppliers of greenhouse materials during the construction phase of the project;
• Ensure that greenhouse fabrication is done in accordance with the approved standards considering the quality assurance and quality control functions;
• Advice and take active part with regards to beneficiary selection, site selection, land preparation and other activities;
• Provide market likages support and darft brochure and promotion material related to greenhouse;
• Assist and guide the project teams on the preparation of different reports including monthly progress report, intermediate reporting points (IRPs), different technical survey reports, etc;
• Advice the entrepreneurs in relation to nutrition/firtigation including type of fertilizer (compost) and their application techniques;
• Report on weekly and monthly basis to the Project Manager and the Implementation Coordinator of CARD-F; and
• Undertake other duties and responsibilities commensurate with the role and level of this job as may be requested by the Project Manager or Implementation Coordinator.
Travels to Provinces
Require Travels to Provinces
• Have good knowledge of communities and villages in Afghanistan;
• Possess good interpersonal skills and communication abilities;
• Have good research and anlytical knowledge/skills
• Well organized, and ability to properly record and store data;
• Have an good understanding of English and local languages;
• Have excellent report writing skills in all above mentioned languages.
Required Education degree:
• University degree in agriculture discipline i.e. horticulture or related subjects. Post-graduate degree holders will be preferred.
• Minimum 4 years of working experience in the related field. The candidate must have hands on experience with respect to greenhouse establishment, greenhouse development, off-season vegetable production, farmers training and the provision of extension services.
• Have experience in implementing Agriculture and Rural Development projects.
• Familiarity with conduct of production level analysis, market analysis, and vegetable marketing also desirable.
Afghanistan - Helmand: PROVINCIAL CENTER (LASHKAR GAH)
AF AF 12
Bachelors Degree, Agriculture
Please read the submission steps in order to have a successful application.
By Electronic submission:
Ideally, you should apply electronically by send your CV and a one-page cover letter explaining your interest and suitability for the position to Email address given below
Please SPECIFY ONLY VA number (CARD-F-HLD-29-17) in the subject line of your Email
DO NOT attach any other documents and certificates only Your CV and Cover letter
By Hard Copy:
Alternatively, you may submit a hard copy of your CV and a one-page covering letter in an envelope marked “Confidential”. Please note clearly on the envelope the VA number and position for which you are applying for. The envelope should be addressed to:
CARD-F Office, Evergreen Building, Ministry of Agriculture Irrigation and Livestock, Kart-e-Sakhi Square, Jamal Meena, Kabul, Afghanistan.
1. Candidates from Helmand province will be given preference:
2. Applications received after the deadline will not be considered.
3. Only short listed candidates will be contacted.
|More jobs in this category|
|Admin Finance Officer at MAIL/OFWMP||Balkh||23 Oct 2018|
|Water Management Specialist at MAIL/OFWMP||Baghlan||23 Oct 2018|