Dry Land Farming National Coordinator(720 Views)
About Ministry of Agriculture Irrigation and livestock (MAIL)
The Ministry of Agriculture, Irrigation and Livestock is a key ministry of the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan that aims to develop the agriculture, irrigation and livestock of the rural and urban communities.
The Ministry is expected to lay the foundations for a long-term strengthening of local agriculture, to promote governance, to rebuild social capital and leadership within villages and neighborhoods, and to provide assistance for rehabilitation and development to communities
Over 50% of farming and animal husbandry activities in Afghanistan occur under rain-fed conditions largely at the subsistence level. Clearly, successful dry land interventions are needed if Afghanistan is to improve its agricultural productivity, nutrition and food security at both the household and national levels.
The Dry Land Farming Strategy (DLFS) was developed by MAIL in consultation with national and international partners and local stakeholders involved in dry land farming across the country. The DLFS identifies priority opportunities for dry land interventions that are focussed on the subsistence farmer. It also provides a roadmap for addressing these priorities. The main objectives of the DLFS which will target the northern provinces under this project are:
1.Increased reliability and overall productivity of rain-fed cereal grain production;
2.Increased drought resilience and diversity of rain-fed farming systems;
3.Improved water capture and water management systems across one hundred critical dry land watersheds; and
4.Improved Government capacity, institutional structures and partnerships to service the needs of dry land farmers
Implementation of the DLFS: The DLFS will be implemented by MAIL, over the next five years, using a mix of its own resources and multi-donor support (both ‘On-budget’ and ‘Off-budget’) through the following interventions.
• Demonstrate the productivity and sustainability benefits to be gained from improved dry land farming practices;
• Support adoption of Conservation Agriculture practices such as minimum tillage and direct drilling of seed;
• Directly improve the livelihoods of dry land farming families including those subsistence farmers who are currently dependent on poppy cultivation as a survival strategy;
• Introduce new breeds of sheep for better meet and wool production and assist the subsistence and marginal farmers as well as the nomadic or Kuchi herders with intensive system of sheep production
• Build and strengthen the organisational structures, services and partnerships necessary for MAIL to sustainably support ongoing dry land initiatives. This includes establishment of the Northern Dry Land Research Centre and the Northern Dry Land Extension Network.
• Establish sustainable service delivery partnerships through the Farmers Learning and Resource Centres (FLRC) at the District level.
The DLFS provides MAIL with a template to guide on-going discussions and negotiations with its donor partners, while also acting as a vehicle that can harmonize donor support within the sector. Hence, the more restricted focus of the Dry Land Farming Strategy (at least for its first phase over the next five years) will be on Afghanistan’s rain-fed farming systems and watersheds.
The DLF National Coordinator will report to the General Manager of Extension. The incumbent will work closely with the DLF Technical Adviser (International) on a day-to-day basis and will seek advice of the DLF Institutional Adviser on strategic and policy issues.
The DLF National Coordinator will supervise the staff based at MAIL-Kabul and at PAIL-Balkh
|Date Posted:||06 Jan 2018||Reference:||mail-ta-50|
|Closing Date:||20 Jan 2018||Work Type:||Full Time|
|Number of Vacancies:||1||Gender:||Any|
|Functional Area:||Agriculture||Open Ended:||NO|
|Nationality:||Afghan||Salary Range:||As per NTA Salary Scale Policy|
|Contract Type:||Service Contract||Years of Experience:||7 Year(s)|
|Contract Duration:||1 Year(s) & 0 Month(s)||Extension Possibility:||Yes|
|Probation Period:||3 Months|
Duties and Responsibilities
The National Coordinator is to be stationed at General Directorate of Extension at MAIL in Kabul, with significant travel to the northern provinces. This assignment involves:
1- Take charge of administrative activities of the project and establish the "DLF Coordination Unit" by integrating the existing Tashkeel-based staff and the newly-hired project-based staff
2- Eestablish coordination mechanisms between the various stakeholders currently involved in DLF- related activities. These mechanisms will include:
The DLF Round Table
The DLF Round Table Working Groups:
Rain-fed Cereal Grain Production;
Diversity of Rain-fed Farming Systems; and
3- Disseminate the minutes of the Round Table and Working Group Meetings
4-` Provide administrative and logistical support to the DLF staff in Kabul and the Northern Provinces
5- Build synergy with the activities of the relevant Departments at MAIL (i.e., Cereals and Industrial Crops, Horticulture, Mechanization, NRM, etc.) and MAIL On-Budget and Off-Budget Projects (i.e., NHLP, SNaPP2, OFWM, RADP-North, GRAIN, etc)
6- Implement and monitor DLF activities.
7- Assist in the establishment of a Northern Region Dry Land Farming Centre to include the research, development and extension services associated with crops, livestock and watershed management.
8- Demonstrate watershed management through actual examples
9- Assist in the establishment of a northern regional Dry Land Farming Extension Network
10- Ensure that the Six-Monthly and Quarterly Financial Statements are submitted to the Donor.
11- Ensure that Annual Program Management Report and Annual Work Plan (including proposed funding requirement) are prepared in a timely manner
12- Perform other tasks as assigned by the Director General of Extension and Agriculture Development
Travels to Provinces
Require Travels to Provinces
The Dry Land Farming National Coordinator would have the following:
• M.Sc. in Agronomy or Agriculture Extension Management from a reputable university;
• A total of 7 years work experience of which 4 years should be in Project Cycle Management of agricultural or rural development projects.
• This work history should include experience in the delivery of Extension services, project management and financial management of On-Budget or Off-Budget Project;
• Knowledge of Dry Land Farming Systems, Conservation Agriculture and Watershed Management
• Fluency in English (Reading, Writing and Speaking) as the incumbent will be working with international staff
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills;
• Computer skills (Office package)
Afghanistan - Balkh: PROVINCIAL CENTER (MAZAR SHARIF)
Masters Degree, Agriculture
• The interested candidates should submit their resume along with a cover letter to Human Resource Directorate of Ministry of Agriculture, Irrigation and Livestock (MAIL) as following Conditions
• Subject line must be (Dry Land Farming National Coordinator) otherwise application will NOT be considered
• Candidate’s educational degree must be attested with ministry of higher education of Afghanistan.
• No resume will be taken under consideration without having a cover letter, the position title vacancy number in the subject line of the email
• Please note that application received after the closing date will not be considered
Note: The ministry of agriculture, irrigation and livestock (MAIL) is an equal opportunity employer which encourages male and female candidates to apply for vacant positions.
Only short listed candidates whose applications respond to the above criteria will be contacted.
|More jobs in this category|
|Marketing and Business Development Officer at CARD-F||Helmand||06 Feb 2018|
|Farmers Call Center Manager at MAIL/OFWMP||Kabul||05 Feb 2018|
|Dry Land Farming Technical Adviser Internatio.. at Ministry of Agricultur..||Kabul||10 Feb 2018|
|Dry Land Farming Institutional Adviser - Inte.. at Ministry of Agricultur..||Kabul||10 Feb 2018|
|Communication Specialist at MAIL/OFWMP||Kabul||26 Jan 2018|
|National Quarantine Plant Pathologist/ Entomo.. at ( Ministry of Agricul..||Multi Cities||27 Jan 2018|
|National Quarantine Plant Entomologist at ( Ministry of Agriculture) AAI..||Multi Cities||27 Jan 2018|
|National Quarantine Plant Pathologist at ( Ministry of Agriculture) AAIP..||Multi Cities||27 Jan 2018|
|On Farm Water Management Officer at NVDA/MAIL||Nangarhar||28 Jan 2018|
|OFWM Specialist/Agronomist at Ghani Consultancy Services||Multi Cities||07 Feb 2018|
|Community Development Specialist – DTL at Ghani Consultancy Services||Multi Cities||07 Feb 2018|