Dry Land Farming Regional Manager(938 Views)
About Ministry of Agriculture Irrigation and livestock (MAIL)
The Ministry of Agriculture, Irrigation and Livestock is a key ministry of the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan that aims to develop the agriculture, irrigation and livestock of the rural and urban communities.
The Ministry is expected to lay the foundations for a long-term strengthening of local agriculture, to promote governance, to rebuild social capital and leadership within villages and neighborhoods, and to provide assistance for rehabilitation and development to communities
Over 50% of farming and animal husbandry activities in Afghanistan occur under rain-fed conditions largely at the subsistence level. Clearly, successful dry land interventions are needed if Afghanistan is to improve its agricultural productivity, nutrition and food security at both the household and national levels.
The Dry Land Farming Strategy (DLFS) was developed by MAIL in consultation with national and international partners and local stakeholders involved in dry land farming across the country. The DLFS identifies priority opportunities for dry land interventions that are focussed on the subsistence farmer. It also provides a roadmap for addressing these priorities. The main objectives of the DLFS which will target the northern provinces under this project are:
1. Increased reliability and overall productivity of rain-fed cereal grain production;
2. Increased drought resilience and diversity of rain-fed farming systems;
3. Improved water capture and water management systems across one hundred critical dry land watersheds; and
4. Improved Government capacity, institutional structures and partnerships to service the needs of dry land farmers.
Implementation of the DLFS: The DLFS will be implemented by MAIL, over the next five years, using a mix of its own resources and multi-donor support (both ‘On-budget’ and ‘Off-budget’) through the following interventions.
• Demonstrate the productivity and sustainability benefits to be gained from improved dry land farming practices;
• Support adoption of Conservation Agriculture practices such as minimum tillage and direct drilling of seed;
• Directly improve the livelihoods of dry land farming families including those subsistence farmers who are currently dependent on poppy cultivation as a survival strategy;
• Introduce new breeds of sheep for better meet and wool production and assist the subsistence and marginal farmers as well as the nomadic or Kuchi herders with intensive system of sheep production
• Build and strengthen the organisational structures, services and partnerships necessary for MAIL to sustainably support ongoing dry land initiatives. This includes establishment of the Northern Dry Land Research Centre and the Northern Dry Land Extension Network.
• Establish sustainable service delivery partnerships through the Farmers Learning and Resource Centres (FLRC) at the District level.
The DLFS provides MAIL with a template to guide on-going discussions and negotiations with its donor partners, while also acting as a vehicle that can harmonize donor support within the sector. Hence, the more restricted focus of the Dry Land Farming Strategy (at least for its first phase over the next five years) will be on Afghanistan’s rain-fed farming systems and watersheds.
The DLF Regional Manager will report to the DLF National Coordinator in Kabul. The incumbent will work closely with the PAIL-Balkh Director and seek his advice on security issues as well liaison with local counterparts in Balkh and other Northern Provinces.
The DLF Regional Coordinator will supervise the DLF Administrative Assistants and Student Interns to be based at PAIL-Balkh, PAIL-Samangan, PAIL-Baghlan and PAIL-Takhar
|Date Posted:||06 Jan 2018||Reference:||mail-ta-51|
|Closing Date:||20 Jan 2018||Work Type:||Full Time|
|Number of Vacancies:||1||Gender:||Any|
|Functional Area:||Agriculture||Open Ended:||NO|
|Nationality:||Afghan||Salary Range:||As per NTA Salary Scale Policy|
|Contract Type:||Service Contract||Years of Experience:||7 Year(s)|
|Contract Duration:||1 Year(s) & 0 Month(s)||Extension Possibility:||Yes|
|Probation Period:||3 Months|
Duties and Responsibilities
The Regional Coordinator is to be stationed at Balkh Directorate of Agriculture, Irrigation and Livestock in Mazar-e-Sharif, with significant travel to Districts of Balkh Province as well other northern provinces (Jawzjan, Samangan, Baghlan, Takhar) This assignment involves:
1- Take charge of technical activities of the DLF Project in the northern provinces and work closely with PAIL-Balkh, in particular, the Research, Extension, Mechanisation and NRM staff.
2- Eestablish coordination mechanisms between the various stakeholders currently involved in DLF- related activities in the northern provinces. These mechanisms will include the DLF Working Groups:
Rain-fed Cereal Grain Production;
Diversity of Rain-fed Farming Systems; and
3- Disseminate the minutes of the Working Group Meetings
4-` Provide administrative and logistical support to the DLF staff in the Northern Provinces
5- Build synergy with the activities of the relevant On-Budget (i.e., NHLP, SNaPP2, OFWM), Off- Budget Projects (RADP-North, GRAIN, etc.), UN-FAO and academic institutions (Balkh University Faculty of Agriculture).
6- Implement and conduct field monitoring of DLF activities.
7- Assist the PAIL-Balkh Director in the establishment of a Northern Region Dry Land Farming Centre to include the research, development and extension services associated with crops, livestock and watershed management.
8- Support PAIL-Balkh in the establishment of a northern regional Dry Land Farming Extension Network
9- Support PAIL-Balkh in the establishment of "Farmers Learning and Resource Centers"
10- Perform other tasks as assigned by the DLF National Coordinator based at MAIL-Kabul
Travels to Provinces
Require Travels to Provinces
The Dry Land Farming Regional Manager would have the following:
• M.Sc. in Agronomy or Agriculture Extension Management from a reputable university;
• A total of 7 years work experience of which 2 years should be in project management of agricultural or rural development projects in the Northern Provinces.
• Knowledge of Dry Land Farming Systems, Conservation Agriculture and the Northern River Basin
• Demonstrated history of providing training, coaching and mentoring to farmers organizations and establishing of Farmers Field Schools;
• Experience in improving the livelihood of rural communities
• Fluency in English (Reading, Writing and Speaking)
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills;
• Computer skills (Office package)
Afghanistan - Kabul: PROVINCIAL CENTER (KABUL)
Masters Degree, Agriculture
• The interested candidates should submit their resume along with a cover letter to Human Resource Directorate of Ministry of Agriculture, Irrigation and Livestock (MAIL) as following Conditions
• Subject line must be (Dry Land Farming Regional Manager) otherwise application will NOT be considered
• Candidate’s educational degree must be attested with ministry of higher education of Afghanistan.
• No resume will be taken under consideration without having a cover letter, the position title vacancy number in the subject line of the email
• Please note that application received after the closing date will not be considered
Note: The ministry of agriculture, irrigation and livestock (MAIL) is an equal opportunity employer which encourages male and female candidates to apply for vacant positions.
Only short listed candidates whose applications respond to the above criteria will be contacted.
|More jobs in this category|
|Female Poultry Extension Agent at CARD-F||Kabul||30 Mar 2018|
|Watershed Management Officer at MAIL/CPMO||Kunduz||31 Mar 2018|
|Field Officer at DACAAR||Multi Cities||12 Apr 2018|
|Gardener باغبان at GEO-CHEM Middle East - Afghanistan||Kabul||29 Mar 2018|
|Social Water Management Specialist at MAIL/CPMO||Multi Cities||30 Mar 2018|
|Agronomist at MAIL/CPMO||Multi Cities||30 Mar 2018|
|OFWM Engineer at MAIL/CPMO||Multi Cities||30 Mar 2018|
|Irrigation Engineer at MAIL/CPMO||Multi Cities||30 Mar 2018|
|National Seed Program Coordinator (Re announc.. at ( Ministry of Agricul..||Kabul||31 Mar 2018|
|Livestock Extension Worker at SNaPP2-MAIL||Multi Cities||26 Mar 2018|
|National Database Assistant at Food and Agriculture Organization of the U..||Kabul||25 Mar 2018|
|Poultry Production Specialist at Hawk Vision||Kabul||22 Mar 2018|