Livestock Extension Worker(1356 Views)
Support to National Priority Program2 (SNaPP2) is a development project of MAIL funded IFAD with the goal to improve food security and economic status of poor rural households in three provinces; Balkh, Herat and Nangarhar. The project will reach at least 57,000 households consisting of 427,500 people in these provinces.
The project has two specific objectives: (i) institutional development and capacity building of community organizations, public extension services and relevant private sector entities in the provinces; and (ii) sustained increased incomes of small farmers and herders fostered by improvements in productivity and output, infrastructure and market linkages. These objectives will be addressed through supporting institutions and services, fostering increased productivity and production, and where feasible, upgrading profitable agriculture/livestock value chains.
General Directorate of extension is the main stakeholders of the program and will lead the implementation of tow sub components 1. Extension services and 2. Small-holder Institutional development and Capacity Building. G.D of extension will establish program management unit under overall supervision of G.D general director who will be responsible for the implementation of the relate activities in three provinces.
Extension sub components will strengthen the extension directorate by: (i) establishing a women’s extension department in Kabul and a cadre of 12 female extension workers specializing in agriculture and livestock, in line with the Taksheel, across the six pilot districts; (ii) strengthening the male extension worker cadre at district level in agriculture and livestock; (iii) targeting young graduates from local agricultural faculties to be recruited as extension assistants, under the Taksheel, funded by the project in years 1-3 and by MAIL thereafter; and, (iv) adapting the curriculum, in collaboration with relevant MAIL directorates, using updated techniques.
Small-holder Institutional development and Capacity Building will strengthen the female CDCs through an orientation and training program guaranteeing female CDCs’ direct control over financial resources, over some elements of project implementation and over female beneficiary selection.
Under the overall supervision of the Program Director and/ or Project Manager and direct supervision of Provincial Extension Advisor and in close collaboration with the SNaPP2 Livestock Technical Team, the Extension Workers will be based in the three provinces (Balkh, Herat and Nangarhar). The Livestock Extension worker will work closely with farmers groups, enhance their capacity to identify livestock extension and agriculture development issues, develop plans and retain sustainable income resources.
|Date Posted:||12 Mar 2018||Reference:||12349/SNaPP2/MAIL|
|Closing Date:||26 Mar 2018||Work Type:||Full Time|
|Number of Vacancies:||3||Gender:||Any|
|Functional Area:||Agriculture||Open Ended:||NO|
|Nationality:||Afghan||Salary Range:||As per NTA Salary Scale Policy|
|Contract Type:||Short Term||Years of Experience:||2 Year(s)|
|Contract Duration:||1 Year(s) & 0 Month(s)||Extension Possibility:||No|
|Probation Period:||3 Months|
Duties and Responsibilities
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
The key focus of livestock extension worker under SNaPP2 Livestock Project will be development of community groups, FLRC, community-based facilitators, community planning and implementation of development actions based on demand driven and participatory methods in collaboration with the DAILs, CDCs and other groups.
Roles and Responsibilities:
1. Key focus of livestock extension services under SNaPP2 will be development of community groups, community-based facilitators, community planning and implementation of development actions based on demand driven and participatory methods in close collaboration with the DAILs, CDCs, DDAs, and other groups.
2. Establish and Support farmer’s interest groups and producers' associations, and to facilitate private sector linkages.
3. Establish community based farmer facilitators (e.g. village-based animal health worker, farmer field school facilitator, village group leaders, etc.)
4. Organize on site trainings for the livestock farmers mainly in Farmer filed School (FFS) model in close coordination with stakeholders and SNaPP2 Livestock Technical Team.
5. Assist in development of farmer groups in coordination with the district extension, livestock managers and Community Development Councils (CDCs) in order to work efficiently and effectively.
6. Closely work with other extension workers of the project to ensure quality service, cooperation and coordination.
7. Assist farmer groups to identify priority Extension and Agricultural development issues and formulate community-based action plans.
8. Ensuring that gender-mainstreamed in all livestock activities, ensure the implementation of all gender targets, ensure the inclusion of activities of interest for women such as food preparation, milk production, processing, storage, etc.
9. Ensuring to established livestock value chain( input & output delivery)
10. Follow the seasonal calendar for conducting such trainings.
11. Collection of data on production and productivity, processing of livestock products, breed improvement, feeding, forage production/conservation, involvement of male and female farmers in management and marketing, of livestock products etc.
12. Keep all the record of activities.
13. Help male or female extension workers and farmers to plan and implement the livestock activities.
14. It is a field-based position. So, she/he will spend 80 % time in field and should be ready to travel to field (all districts and villages) of the province and conduct the meeting in the field to the livestock farmer groups.
15. Participate in stakeholders meetings.
16. Provide Agriculture and livestock extension services to farmers that are input provision, land preparation, production, agro processing and commercialization of the agricultural products (fodder crops) through various methods of extension and training.
17. Conduct filed demonstration and prepareits reports.
18. Help to link the farmer groups “FGs” with the service delivery organization such as Veterinary Field Units (VFUs) or any other animal health providers etc.
19. Coordinate to develop, manage and conduct the workshops and trainings and other agricultural extension education models.
20. Liaise with livestock processors/entrepreneurs:
21. Keep records and notes about all important observations and recommendations made;
22. Keep good work discipline and report daily activities and field observations in written form to the provincial coordinators.
23. Perform any other tasks assigned by the coordinator.
Travels to Provinces
Require Travels to Provinces
• Working knowledge of the sector and experience in livestock.
• Good report and success stories writing skills.
• Computer knowledge ( should know office packages and internet )
• Ability to remain organized and punctual.
• Ability in English language (verbal and written communication.
• Must be BSc in Animal Science or DVM veterinarians
• At least 2 years of relevant work experience
• This position will be embedded in the Tashkeel of the ministry of agriculture, Irrigation and livestock on the fourth year of the project.
Afghanistan - Balkh
Bachelors Degree, Agriculture
The interested candidates should submit their resume along with a covering letter as followconditions:
Please send your CV along with a cover letter
Subject line must be: (Livestock Extension Worker -12349/MAIL/SNaPP2) otherwise your application will NOT be considered.
Candidate’s educational degree must be attested with Ministry of Higher Education - Afghanistan otherwise we will not accept the application in short listing process.
Please note that application received after the closing date will not be considered.
Only short-listed candidates whose application responds to the above criteria will be contacted for interview.
|More jobs in this category|
|Female Poultry Extension Agent at CARD-F||Kabul||30 Mar 2018|
|Watershed Management Officer at MAIL/CPMO||Kunduz||31 Mar 2018|
|Field Officer at DACAAR||Multi Cities||12 Apr 2018|
|Gardener باغبان at GEO-CHEM Middle East - Afghanistan||Kabul||29 Mar 2018|
|Social Water Management Specialist at MAIL/CPMO||Multi Cities||30 Mar 2018|
|Agronomist at MAIL/CPMO||Multi Cities||30 Mar 2018|
|OFWM Engineer at MAIL/CPMO||Multi Cities||30 Mar 2018|
|Irrigation Engineer at MAIL/CPMO||Multi Cities||30 Mar 2018|
|National Seed Program Coordinator (Re announc.. at ( Ministry of Agricul..||Kabul||31 Mar 2018|
|National Database Assistant at Food and Agriculture Organization of the U..||Kabul||25 Mar 2018|