Researcher (Consultant)(685 Views)
About Integrity Watch Afghanistan
Integrity Watch is an Afghan civil society organization committed to increase transparency, accountability, and integrity in Afghanistan.
The mission of Integrity Watch is to put corruption under the spotlight through community monitoring, research, and advocacy. We mobilize and train communities to monitor infrastructure projects, public services, courts, and extractives industries. We develop community monitoring tools, provide policy-oriented research, facilitate policy dialogue, and advocate for integrity, transparency, and accountability in Afghanistan.
Integrity Watch was created in October 2005 and established itself as an independent civil society organization in 2006. It has approximately 100 staff members and about 500 active volunteers. The head office of Integrity Watch is in Kabul with provincial offices in Balkh, Bamyan, Herat, Kabul, Kapisa, Jawzjan, Nangarhar, Parwan, and Kuner provinces and programmatic outreach in many other provinces.
Integrity Watch’s work has three major components: (1) Community Monitoring, (2) Research, and (3) Advocacy. Integrity Watch tries to encourage active citizenship and community mobilization through its programs. Our community monitoring work includes development of community monitoring tools, mobilizing and training communities to monitor infrastructure projects, public services, courts, and extractives industries.
Our research work is focused on policy-oriented research measuring trends, perceptions and experiences of corruption and covering wide range of corruption related issues including security and justice sectors, extractive industries, budget and public finance management, and aid effectiveness. The objective is to develop new, ground-breaking empirical research in order to set the agenda, influence decision-makers, bring to the public attention non-documented and non-explored issues.
The aim of our advocacy work is to enhance Integrity Watch’s pioneering role in advocating for knowledgeable decision-making and informed public debate on corruption and integrity. Our advocacy work includes facilitation of policy dialogue on issues related to integrity, transparency, and accountability. We advocate for access to information; budget transparency, accountability, and participation; aid transparency and effectiveness; social accountability; and other issues related to anti-corruption.
ABOUT ACCESS TO INFORMATION AND THE ATI INDEX
Tax evasion determinants have not been investigated in Afghanistan, nor have any published studies fully examined the factors influencing tax evasion. Thus far only a few media pieces have reported on occasional superficial cases of tax evasion with researchers referring to this issue in their studies or desk reviews. Research on tax evasion and tax avoidance is an urgent requirement to identify the actors involved and to highlight the revenue loss to the country. The proposed study will cover the matter comprehensively in two parts; 1) a literature review and some qualitative research will be conducted; 2) legal gap analysis research will be undertaken to find the gaps and to develop an accurate measure of tax evasion at the individual and corporation levels and identify the variables associated with tax evasion.
The researcher has overall responsibility for the data collection, data analysis and development of the report and interview transcripts. S/he will be mainly responsible to collect field data on tax evasion from different provinces and transcribe all the interviews.
|Date Posted:||14 Mar 2018||Reference:||015/ 18|
|Closing Date:||20 Mar 2018||Work Type:||Full Time|
|Number of Vacancies:||1||Gender:||Any|
|Functional Area:||Research/Survey||Open Ended:||NO|
|Nationality:||Afghan||Salary Range:||As per company salary scale|
|Contract Type:||Consultant||Years of Experience:||3 Year(s)|
|Contract Duration:||0 Year(s) & 3 Month(s)||Extension Possibility:||No|
Duties and Responsibilities
Design of the research
• Develop questionnaire together with the project team
• Translate the questionnaire from English to local languages
• Pilot test the study and questionnaire before the field data collection
• Develop work plan for the research;
Conducting and Write up of the research
• Conduct Interviews (In-depth interviews, Focus Group Discussions and Key informant interviews) in different sampled locations.
• Conduct desk research and site-visits to collect information based on the research data collection plan and methodology.
• Ensure that the research is done considering the timeline.
• Consult closely with the Research Manager and Lead Researcher on research process.
• Transcribe the interviews sound into English and edit/clean the data.
• Analyse the collected data and prepare the final dataset according to the data management plan of the organization
• Write a draft field and observational report and present it to the research team of the project.
• Complete interview sounds, field notes and reports
• Tools for conducting the research
• Transcripts of the completed interviews and final data collection report.
• Good communication, interpersonal and analytical skills and be team player.
• Excellent computer skills, with good knowledge of Microsoft Office applications
• Other duties and responsibilities.
The successful candidate will possess some or all of the following characteristics:
• Fluency in written and spoken English, Pashto and/or Dari.
• Bachelor degree (Masters is preferable) in Journalism, public administration, law or another related social science.
• At least 3 years’ experience working in the field of research and social science.
• Proven interest in issues of justice, integrity, social accountability, anti-corruptions and good governance in Afghanistan.
• Excellent understanding of the Afghanistan taxation system and legal system in general.
• Proven ability of evidence-based research in the field of tax, anti-corruption and good governance.
• Experience in working with/applying qualitative methodologies
Afghanistan - Kabul
Please apply by sending a CV and a cover letter that outlines how your experience and education relates to the skills and experience outlined in the Terms of Reference to: , and please write “Researcher – Tax Evasion” and your name in the e-mail subject line
The deadline for applications is 20 March, 2016. However, interviews of suitable candidates may begin as applications are received. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
|More jobs in this category|
|Social and Gender Expert at INTEGRATION||Kabul||02 Jun 2018|
|Economist at INTEGRATION||Kabul||02 Jun 2018|
|Senior Reseacher at Office of Senior Advisor to the President of Afghanis..||Kabul||24 May 2018|