Irrigation Engineer(1706 Views)
The Ministry of Agriculture, Irrigation and Livestock is a key ministry of the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan that aims to develop the agriculture, irrigation and livestock of the rural and urban communities. The Ministry is expected to lay the foundations for a long-term strengthening of local agriculture, to promote governance, to rebuild social capital and leadership within villages and neighborhoods, and to provide assistance for rehabilitation and development of communities.
Ministry of Agriculture, Irrigation and Livestock (MAIL) and Asian Development Bank (ADB) signed Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) to establish Central Program Management Office (CPMO) to centralize different existing ADB Funded Projects effective 01 February 2018. CPMO will be a permanent office to provide operationally (Administration, Finance, Procurement, Reporting, Technical and Monitoring and Evaluation) Support to all existing and forthcoming projects of ADB within the MAIL.
The Lower Kokcha Irrigation Scheme (LKIS) project is designed to rehabilitate and improve the main irrigation canals and associated intake structures in two irrigation zones; (i) Zone I located in the district of Imam Sahib (Kunduz province), comprises a gross area of 51,760 ha, and is irrigated by the Imam Sahib canal system which is supplied by the Shahrawan offtake on the Amu Darya river; (ii) Zone II located in the districts of Dasht-eArchi (Kunduz province) and Khwaja Ghar (Takhar province), has a gross area of 27,900 ha, and is irrigated by the Archi Main canal which has a free intake on the Kokcha river. Improvement of two canals will result in reliable irrigation supplies to 74,300 ha in the Lower Kokcha Irrigation Scheme (LKIS). This includes an additional 3,000 ha of land that was formally out of command due to inadequate supply from the Archi Main canal and Jaded canal, and the reclamation of 2,000 ha of land that is currently waterlogged.
The Irrigation Engineer will have the overall responsibility to guide technical surveyors in topographic survey of command area, cross-sectional, and longitudinal surveys of the irrigation schemes. She/he is also responsible for the designs of all irrigation related infrastructure, and has to work with a team of engineer, on farm water management Engineer, consultant and technicians involved in designing, extension of existing canal systems, repairing, maintaining, and construction of water related structures at project site. She/he will report to Project Director. Moreover, he will be responsible for the following tasks.
|Date Posted:||14 Mar 2018||Reference:||MAIL/CPMO/2018/V-001|
|Closing Date:||30 Mar 2018||Work Type:||Full Time|
|Number of Vacancies:||1||Gender:||Any|
|Functional Area:||Agriculture||Open Ended:||Yes|
|Nationality:||Afghan||Salary Range:||As per NTA Salary Scale Policy10000.0|
|Contract Type:||Long-term||Years of Experience:||5 Year(s)|
|Contract Duration:||1 Year(s) & 0 Month(s)||Extension Possibility:||Yes|
|Probation Period:||3 Months|
Duties and Responsibilities
1. Final check and verification of all site plans, profiles, designs and cost estimation of the complete irrigation schemes including all irrigation infrastructures e.g field turnouts, drop structures, culverts, weirs.
2. Based on the site conditions modify already prepared designs of watercourse linings to fit the existing situation e.g (a) precast parabolic lining segments (PCPS) respective to discharge carrying capacity (b) in-situ lining (c) brick and stone lining or (d) simple earthen improvements of schemes
3. Prepare detail design reports that will go with designs to the ADB to justify the spending
4. Prepare BoQ (bill of quantity) and CAD drawings of all civil works
5. Coordinate all technical activities in Takhar and Kunduz provinces and on the sites to make sure the construction/rehabilitation of irrigation infrastructure is according to the engineering standards mentioned in the project Technical Specifications and to the local conditions
6. Strictly follow on the project implementation plan,
7. Preparation of work plan for each civil work contracts
8. Spot checking and certification of ongoing rehabilitation work
9. Work independently, and with consultation of irrigation association (IA); direct through subordinate engineers the construction of canals, water courses according to the type of soil, and specific climate
10. Training of the project field supervisors to properly supervise the civil works at the sites
11. Conduct research on problems of soil drainage, and water logging
12. Observe comparatively simple construction procedures
13. Prepare work plan for all technical staff activities both in the office and on the sites
14. Assist in record keeping and generating progress reports and will submit it to the project director and CPMO M&E unit.
15. Assist in preparation of tender documents, and contracts
16. Investigate proposed locations of structures (flow control gates, turnout, flow measurement weirs, etc.) and prepare initial designs in coordination with technical team.
17. Work closely with consultant design engineer
18. Store soft copies of all designs/drawings and site plans at safe place
19. Identifying and proposing proper construction materials as per the required standards and site locations
20. Perform any other project relevant activity assigned by the Project Director
Travels to Provinces
Require Travels to Provinces
1. The candidate must have a Bachelor Degree (preferably Master) in Water Resources Engineering /Agricultural Engineering /Civil engineering
2. Minimum experience of 5 years in design and construction/rehabilitation of irrigation infrastructure (design of canal, water control gates, flow measurement structures, siphons, culverts, construction of flood control levees etc).
3. Preference would be given to the candidates having extensive experience in similar regions.
4. Good CAD, Civil 3d, Eagle Point, and Ms. Excel skills.
5. Computer simulation/use of computer models is helpful.
6. Good capability to read write and speak English, organization skills, desire to learn, and basic computer literacy
Afghanistan - Kunduz
AF AF 12
Bachelors Degree, Agriculture
Send your CV to below email address.
CPMO Project, HR Department
Ministry of Agriculture, Irrigation and Livestock,
Address: Kabul University Road, Kabul, Afghanistan
No resume will be taken under consideration without having a cover letter.
Only shortlisted candidates will be called for interview.
|More jobs in this category|
|Admin Finance Officer at MAIL/OFWMP||Balkh||23 Oct 2018|
|Water Management Specialist at MAIL/OFWMP||Baghlan||23 Oct 2018|