Provincial GIS/RS Associate(2563 Views)
About Ministry of Agriculture Irrigation and livestock (MAIL)
The Ministry of Agriculture, Irrigation and Livestock is a key ministry of the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan that aims to develop the agriculture, irrigation and livestock of the rural and urban communities.
The Ministry is expected to lay the foundations for a long-term strengthening of local agriculture, to promote governance, to rebuild social capital and leadership within villages and neighborhoods, and to provide assistance for rehabilitation and development to communities
Strengthening Afghanistan Institutions Capacity for the Assessment of Agriculture Production and Impact Scenario Development. FAO-Afghanistan
Under the overall supervision of the Statistics and MIS Directorate of MAIL, and in close collaboration with the National Project Manager (NPM)
• Deliver a detailed work plan of the activities;
• Deliver a technical document on the analysis of the user specification, needs description and functionality and identification of the data requirements;
• Deliver training materials and user guide documents.
• Undertake training (e-training or/and traditional) for the national institutions and staff;
• Prepare, outreach and workshop materials;
• Deliver a final technical report including the results, findings and recommendations
|Date Posted:||14 Apr 2018||Reference:||mail-ta-58|
|Closing Date:||30 Apr 2018||Work Type:||Full Time|
|Number of Vacancies:||5||Gender:||Any|
|Functional Area:||Agriculture||Open Ended:||NO|
|Nationality:||Afghan||Salary Range:||As per NTA Salary Scale Policy10000.0|
|Contract Type:||Service Contract||Years of Experience:||3 Year(s)|
|Contract Duration:||1 Year(s) & 0 Month(s)||Extension Possibility:||Yes|
|Probation Period:||3 Months|
Duties and Responsibilities
• Provide on the job training to the staff of DAI/PAIL for crop and related data collection
• Participate in the crop and related data collection in the field;
• Identify and access map information sources;
• Ensure accurate linkages between spatial databases and assessment data;
• Ensures that the produced maps meet the requirements of FAO, MAIL and concerned partners.
• Conceptualize methodologies for collecting data in the field, as according to need;
• Organize and supervise GIS field missions;
• Monitor accuracy of data collected;
• Cross check data collected in the field, ensure regular updates and solve eventual discrepancies.
• Co-developing GIS components in proposals and supervising the implementation;
• Supervising the activities of DAIL/PAIL subordinate GIS staff, including GIS assistants and interns.
• Ensure the capitalization of tools and procedures related to mapping and databases.
• Support the assessment team in the collection and management of spatial datasets, verification and update of the collected data.
• Monitor the accuracy of collected data.
• Contribute towards the identification and implementation of effective and adapted technical solutions and partnerships.
• Provide technical backstopping of database to GIS team and provide capacity-building to the DAIL/PAIL team related to database maintenance and GIS techniques.
• Support the collection of spatial datasets and integration activities.
• Respond to information requests from FAO, MAIL and its partners.
• Maintain regular interactions and reporting with key partners including NGOs and technical partners.
• Liaise with partners to ensure the data is shared.
• Maintain the strictest confidentiality of data and processes.
• Actively take measures to prevent the unauthorized sharing of information and data.
• Due attention must be paid to ensuring that communities are adequately consulted and informed;
• Coordinate and be responsible for all IT and GIS component of the project.
• Undertake GIS and IT activities and coordination related to the development of NAEZ and LRIMS.
• Support the improvement of the Afghanistan Agriculture Information Portal and the geodatabase enhancement.
• Develop specifications for hardware and software requirements.
• Coordinate activities with partners for the development of the NAEZ and LRIMS.
• Support the development of standardized data formats with adequate metadata to be included in the portals and systems.
• Support the development of and geo-database.
• Support the analysis and advice on the functional needs related to data and information portal.
• Provide technical assistance for the customization and testing of database structure to support Afghanistan-specific requirements and simplification of models and data requirements.
• Support data gap analysis, and coordinate the identification of the existing available information required.
• Work in close collaboration with MAIL and counterpart staff, giving information and providing guidance on the implementation of technical activities.
• Undertake trainings and workshops for the national institutions on GIS/database and modelling.
• Support the development of documentation and manuals for GIS/RS applications;
• Submit the progress report at monthly basis to the immediate supervisor and contribute to the annual and terminal reports of the project.
• Perform any other tasks as required.
Travels to Provinces
Require Travels to Provinces
• Proven communication skills and fluency in the English language.
• University degree in Geography, Statistics, Agriculture and Geoscience with Diploma in GIS/RS.
• At least 2 up to 3 years of experience in GIS / Database management, preferably in Agriculture context;
• Good command of GIS software especially ArcGIS Desktop, general computer software including Excel, Word and conventional database applications (Access/SQL).
• Flexibility and adaptability are essential, as well as the ability to plan, take initiative and organize work independently;
• Understanding the nature of the work carried out by programs is necessary for ensuring the relevancy and usability of the maps produced.
• A proactive and self-motivated attitude towards gaining a good understanding of FA and MAIL programs, innovating GIS activities and developing new GIS components for proposals is essential;
• Must be inventive and eager to improve his or her own skills, and be capable to adapt, shape and develop tools best suited for REACH activities;
• Professional experience in Afghanistan, or in other developing countries, particularly in the field of GIS/RS.
• Knowledge of and/or experience with the FAO or other UN agencies system.
• Proven communication skills and fluency in the English language
Afghanistan - Nangarhar
AF AF 12
• The interested candidates should submit their resume along with a cover letter to Human Resource Directorate of Ministry of Agriculture, Irrigation and Livestock (MAIL) as following Conditions Subject line must be (Province) ? ( GIS/RS Associate)
• otherwise application will NOT be considered
• Candidate’s educational degree must be attested with ministry of higher education of Afghanistan.
• No resume will be taken under consideration without having a cover letter, the position title vacancy number in the subject line of the email
• Please note that application received after the closing date will not be considered
Note: The ministry of agriculture, irrigation and livestock (MAIL) is an equal opportunity employer which encourages male and female candidates to apply for vacant positions.
Only short listed candidates whose applications respond to the above criteria will be contacted.
|More jobs in this category|
|Extension officer at ( Ministry of Agriculture) AAIP Project||Herat||21 Dec 2018|
|Farmers Call Center Operator at MAIL/OFWMP||Kabul||20 Dec 2018|
|Regional Manager at MAIL/HVCDSP||Multi Cities||25 Dec 2018|
|Agribusiness Development Manager at MAIL/HVCDSP||Kabul||25 Dec 2018|
|Horticulture Development Manager at MAIL/HVCDSP||Kabul||25 Dec 2018|