District NRM- Rangeland Specialist(507 Views)
Afghanaid is a British-registered international NGO, which has worked in Afghanistan for over 30 years. We assist community-driven processes that address the rights and fundamental needs of people in some of the most remote areas of Afghanistan, providing basic services, supporting development of rural livelihoods and responding to humanitarian emergencies. We are headquartered in Kabul, and operate 20 provincial and district offices across Badakhshan (north-eastern region), Samangan (northern region) and Ghor (western region), as well as a Marketing and Fundraising office in London. We employ around 160 personnel, 97% of whom are Afghans.
In 2009 Afghanaid initiated a community based natural resource management project entitled “Upper-Catchments Rehabilitation and Management” (UCRAM -I) funded by the European Union. In order to ensure the longer term impact of the initiative and to have wider coverage, Afghanaid started to implement a second phase of this project by extending the implementation from four to eight catchments with the financial support of the EU. Another initiative, Participatory Watershed Management (PWM) began its implementation in Badakhshan with funding from the EU. A bridging fund project as continuation of both PWM and WUCAM- II is implemented between June-2015 to June-2016 and will cover eight catchments of the Badakhshan province. However Afghanaid implemented several SDC projects in the past, currently Afghanaid is planning to implement a new project on rangeland management in Dykondi province Nili, Khadir, Ishtarlay, Shahrestan, Mir Amur, and Sangi Takht districts to strengthen the livelihood of poor communities. It is four year programme for community based rangeland management and capacity building of PAIL staff including close working relationship with MAIL – DG NRM which will be covered by other partner of the project.
Number of Position is 12 ( 6 Male and 6 Female)
|Date Posted:||15 Apr 2018||Reference:||VA-2018-17|
|Closing Date:||29 Apr 2018||Work Type:||Full Time|
|Number of Vacancies:||12||Gender:||Any|
|Functional Area:||Programme||Open Ended:||NO|
|Nationality:||Salary Range:||As per company salary scale|
|Contract Type:||Fixed-term||Years of Experience:||4 Year(s)|
|Contract Duration:||1 Year(s) & 0 Month(s)||Extension Possibility:||Yes|
|Probation Period:||3 Months|
Duties and Responsibilities
The district NRM specialist will serve as:
1) District level rangeland specialist who will shoulder the responsibilities of community mobilization, help project management in base line survey, Establishment of RMAs, capacity building of RMAs, facilitation of RMA-Plan, mobilize communities for physical work in catchment area.
2) Support conservation and rangeland officer in catchment planning, area measurement, rangeland rehabilitation planning, project documentation, reporting, training programme implementation and RMA general assembly and management committees meetings.
• Play key role in start off of the project with a transparent catchment/community selection process and share results with line manager at district/ provincial level.
• Identify rangeland users, source of existing and possible conflicts over rangeland use and its dividers and connectors also provide daily report to line manager on possible ways to mitigate the risk of existing and possible conflicts over rangeland use.
• Through contact with community level influential, lead community level meetings, explain the project objectives, activities, expected outcomes and impacts to community people including influential, I-Mams, Arbabs, Livestock owners, Land owners including women and men and sign community level contracts.
• Map community priorities and identify community leaders through community/ catchment level assessments, share the proper data with line manager and help line manager in decision making.
• Facilitate community level meetings to identify catchment level priorities.
Establishment and development of RMAs
• Facilitate establishment of RMAs following proper 9 steps for establishment of RMAs.
• Develop curriculum for capacity building of RMAs and district level agriculture department of the government of Afghanistan.
• Hold general assembly meetings of RMAs and facilitate election process for election of management committee members of RMAs.
• Facilitate RMA meetings to develop their rangeland management plans based on their priorities for improved rangeland and livestock management.
Rangeland Physical Work:
• Help project construction engineer to implement construction work in arrangement management.
• Manage non-construction work of rangeland management through active participation of community rangeland users and government relevant employees.
• Technically support project operation manager in procurement of project inputs especially those required for rangeland management.
• Support project operation manager in transparent wages management which will undertake as result of check dams construction, contours, trenches and other relevant activities at rangeland level.
Project Documentation and coordination:
• Attend relevant meetings at district level and in some cases provincial meetings and provide report to line manager.
• Closely coordinate project activities with district level agriculture department and other government and non-governmental organizations at district level.
• Study grazing patterns to determine number and kind of livestock that can be most profitably grazed and to determine the best grazing seasons.
• Develop new and improved instruments and techniques for activities such as range reseeding etc…
• Manage social organizers to help you in community mobilization, establishment of RMAs through proper and locally accepted approaches.
• Conduct the assessment to identify Wild plants, Medicinal plants, Forage plants, Oil plants, Forest residues, Soil type, Size of soil erosion, Types of natural disasters to grassland and rangeland inducing other technical aspects of rangeland management and provide quality report to project manager and technical expert based in ministry of agriculture, irrigation and livestock of Afghanistan.
Undertake any other duties as and when required by the line manager and/or overview manager.
Bachelor’s degree in NRM, rangeland management or environmental science.
Minum 4 years of professional (practical) experience in rangeland management.
Professional Skills, Competencies, Values and Attitudes
Afghanaid seeks a responsible and dependable district NRM-rangeland specialists with strong initiative, judgment, technical backstopping and adaptability as well as excellent skills in communication, community sensitization and mobilization skill and participatory natural resource management.
Specifically, the holder of this position should also demonstrate the following:
• Proficiency in computer software including MS Office etc.
• Working/practical knowledge and skill of programme input, output, outcome and impact monitoring.
• Behavioural role model for peers and fellow team members.
• Competent to work with significant levels of autonomy and able to meet tight deadlines.
• A results-oriented approach to delivering work priorities in personal workload,
• Creative and innovative in conceptual and analytical thinking
• Sensitivity to gender issues.
• Fluency in Dari, Pashto and English (written and oral).
• Knowledge of personal strengths and weaknesses, active listener
Afghanistan - Daikondi
Please email a covering letter and your CV, by no later than 29th April 2018, including your name and the job title in the subject line. Your covering letter should be no more than 2 standard A4 pages in length and explain how you meet the essential and desirable position requirements and why you feel you would be a suitable candidate for this role. The precision and style with which you present yourself in your covering letter and CV will be given significant weight in short listing candidates.
|More jobs in this category|
|Public Outreach and Advocacy Capacity Buildin.. at Checchi and Company Co..||Kabul||30 Jul 2018|
|Public Outreach and Advocacy CSO Support Team.. at Checchi and Company Co..||Kabul||03 Aug 2018|
|Programme Policy Officer (SO3 Manager - Behav.. at United Nations World F..||Kabul||31 Jul 2018|
|APPS SME at MOIA||Kabul||30 Jul 2018|
|Project Management Specialist (Democracy and .. at USAID/Afghanistan||Kabul||29 Jul 2018|
|Project Management Assistant (Multiple Vacan.. at USAID/Afghanistan||Kabul||29 Jul 2018|
|Project Support Specialist at MISFA Ltd.||Kabul||24 Jul 2018|
|Program Assistant for MoMP/Chief of Staff at Ministry of Mines and Petrol..||Kabul||23 Jul 2018|
|Project Officer at The Asia Foundation||Kabul||28 Jul 2018|