Conservation and Rangeland Expert(872 Views)
Afghanaid is a British-registered international NGO, which has worked in Afghanistan for over 30 years. We assist community-driven processes that address the rights and fundamental needs of people in some of the most remote areas of Afghanistan, providing basic services, supporting development of rural livelihoods and responding to humanitarian emergencies. We are headquartered in Kabul, and operate 20 provincial and district offices across Badakhshan (north-eastern region), Samangan (northern region) and Ghor (western region), as well as a Marketing and Fundraising office in London. We employ around 160 personnel, 97% of whom are Afghans.
In 2009 Afghanaid initiated a community based natural resource management project entitled “Upper-Catchments Rehabilitation and Management” (UCRAM -I) funded by the European Union. In order to ensure the longer term impact of the initiative and to have wider coverage, Afghanaid started to implement a second phase of this project by extending the implementation from four to eight catchments with the financial support of the EU. Another initiative, Participatory Watershed Management (PWM) began its implementation in Badakhshan with funding from the EU. A bridging fund project as continuation of both PWM and WUCAM- II is implemented between June-2015 to June-2016 and will cover eight catchments of the Badakhshan province. However Afghanaid implemented several SDC projects in the past, currently Afghanaid is planning to implement a new project on rangeland management in Dykondi province Nili, Khadir, Ishtarlay, Shahrestan, Mir Amur, and Sangi Takht districts to strengthen the livelihood of poor communities. It is four year programme for community based rangeland management and capacity building of PAIL staff including close working relationship with MAIL – DG NRM which will be covered by other partner of the project.
|Date Posted:||16 Apr 2018||Reference:||VA-2018-20|
|Closing Date:||29 Apr 2018||Work Type:||Full Time|
|Number of Vacancies:||1||Gender:||Any|
|Functional Area:||Programme||Open Ended:||NO|
|Nationality:||Salary Range:||As per company salary scale|
|Contract Type:||Fixed-term||Years of Experience:||6 Year(s)|
|Contract Duration:||1 Year(s) & 0 Month(s)||Extension Possibility:||Yes|
|Probation Period:||3 Months|
Duties and Responsibilities
The Rangeland and Conservation Expert will serve as:
1) Focal person for overall project activities, coordination, reporting, documentation and communication at provincial level.
2) Act as project most senior technical person at provincial level hence will guide provincial project staff on technical back-stopping of the project.
3) Specifically responsible for establishment, strengthening and registration of RMAs, facilitate development and implementation of RMA-plans and capacity building of provincial agriculture department relevant staff as well as other stakeholders of the project.
• Attend relevant meetings at district, provincial and in some cases regional meetings and provide report to project manager.
• Closely coordinate project activities with PAIL, provincial NEPA, DRRD, Provincial Directorate of Economy and other relevant departments at provincial level.
• Coordinate project activities with relevant NGOs, CSO and other relevant, government and non-governmental organizations.
• Study grazing patterns to determine number and kind of livestock that can be most profitably grazed and to determine the best grazing seasons.
• Develop new and improved instruments and techniques for activities such as range reseeding
• Offer advice to district NRM specialists and rangeland users on water management, forage production methods, and control of brush
• Provide technical backstopping to the project staff in rangeland management particularly in the areas of rangeland identification, community contracts, community mobilization, and establishment of RMAs, Capacity Need Assessment of RMA members and PAIL staff and other required aspects of rangeland management.
• Manage district NRM users and social organizers and other technical staff of the project to establish RMAs through proper and locally accepted approaches.
• Support project manager in project initiation including project inception workshops, coordination meetings, and community level meetings and reporting.
• Responsible for planning and organizing the project resources at provincial level including project inputs.
• Responsible for identification, communication and protection of rangeland areas under 12 RMAs which will be establish, strengthen and registered under the same project in Dykondi province.
• In support from district NRM specialists and social organizers and other technical staff at provincial level and through RMA members and other rangeland users, the position holder is responsible for mapping of natural resources including rangeland, soil, and water linked with its users.
• Responsible for project reporting from district offices to provincial and provincial to project manager.
• Responsible for timely follow up on actions required at provincial and district level.
• Responsible for project file management including evidences for each activity including activity based reporting.
• Serve as bridge between district/ province and head office.
• Responsible guiding livestock/ livelihood and M&E team in their responsibilities at Dykondi level.
• Conduct an in-depth assessment to know the causes of conflict, the quantity and way to mitigate the risk of possible conflicts over rangeland management in Dykondi province.
• Responsible for conducting trainings on rangeland management and other relevant fields to provincial PAIL staff, project staff and RMA members.
• Conduct the assessment to identify Wild plants, Medicinal plants, Forage plants, Oil plants, Forest residues, Soil type, Size of soil erosion, Types of natural disasters to grassland and rangeland inducing other technical aspects of rangeland management and provide quality report to project manager and technical expert based in ministry of agriculture, irrigation and livestock of Afghanistan.
• Assist in translation of Project required technical documents from Dari/Pashtu to English and vice-versa
• Assist in preparation of Annual Operating Plan (AOP)
Undertake any other duties as and when required by the line manager and/or overview manager.
Bachelor’s degree in NRM, or environmental science. Master degree in mentioned field is preferred.
Minimum 6 years of professional experience in rangeland management, watershed management or any other NRM management field.
Professional Skills, Competencies, Values and Attitudes
Afghanaid seeks a responsible and dependable conservation and rangeland expert with strong initiative, judgment, technical backstopping and adaptability as well as excellent skills in communication, team management, community sensitization skill and participatory natural resource management.
Specifically, the holder of this position should also demonstrate the following:
• Proficiency in computer software including MS Office etc.
• Working/practical knowledge and skill of programme input, output, outcome and impact monitoring.
• Behavioural role model for peers and fellow team members.
• Competent to work with significant levels of autonomy and able to meet tight deadlines.
• A results-oriented approach to delivering work priorities in personal workload,
• Creative and innovative in conceptual and analytical thinking
• Sensitivity to gender issues.
• Fluency in Dari, Pashto and English (written and oral).
• Knowledge of personal strengths and weaknesses, active listener
Afghanaid’s core values are creativity, fairness and honesty. Our staff is passionate about and proud of their work and Afghanaid. Teamwork is fundamental to our standards and demonstrated by taking initiative, assisting others and taking on additional responsibilities / tasks if necessary. We are results driven, committed and motivated to achieve targets and take accountability for our own actions.
Our remuneration and benefits package is competitive with other similar organisations.
This position presents an excellent opportunity for someone who has the ambition and determination to move up in their career.
Afghanistan - Daikondi
AF AF 12
Please email a covering letter and your CV, by no later than 29th April 2018,including your name and the job title in the subject line. Your covering letter should be no more than 2 standard A4 pages in length and explain how you meet the essential and desirable position requirements and why you feel you would be a suitable candidate for this role. The precision and style with which you present yourself in your covering letter and CV will be given significant weight in short listing candidates.
|More jobs in this category|
|Professional Proofreaders & Editors at DAI||Kabul||29 Sep 2018|
|Project Management Specialist (Rule of Law) (.. at USAID/Afghanistan||Kabul||07 Oct 2018|
|Refugee Program Assistant at U.S. Embassy||Kabul||27 Sep 2018|
|Projects Assistant at National Group of Companies||Kabul||15 Oct 2018|
|Program Director at Tetra Tech -Women's Leadership Development||Kabul||28 Sep 2018|
|Project Support Specialist at MISFA Ltd.||Kabul||01 Oct 2018|