Provincial Agriculture & Rural Development Advisor(1481 Views)
About Colombo Plan
The Drug Advisory Programme (DAP) is a leading intergovernmental association established to address drug use in the Asia Pacific region. One of its key initiatives is institution building that aims to assist the Ministry of Counter Narcotics (MCN) of the Government of the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan fulfil its mandate as the lead government agency in the field of counter narcotics.
MCN provides policy coordination for the government’s counter narcotics activities and programs in cooperation with other ministries, independent bodies, and relevant organizations.
MCN and DAP entered into a mutual agreement to improve the capacity of the MCN to perform its institutional tasks more efficiently and to carry out its legally-mandated roles and responsibilities more effectively. In support of MCN’s Institution Building Project, DAP invites qualified and experienced individuals to apply for the position of Provincial Agriculture & Rural Development Advisor. The purpose of the position is to ensure close cooperation and collaboration between the Provincial Government of Nangarhar and implementing partners, including the UN Office of Drugs and Crime (UNODC), the UN Development Program (UNDP), and the Afghan Ministry of Agriculture, Irrigation, and Livestock (MAIL), USAID, and others, to maximize the impact of alternative development/livelihoods projects in Nangarhar Province. The advisor will also be expected to communicate with donor countries, international organizations, non-governmental organizations, and civil society to strengthen the capacity of the provincial government to more effectively coordinate with a broad spectrum of stakeholders to promote viable alternatives to the illicit drug trade in Afghanistan.
The advisor will report to DAP’s Senior Advisor to the Provincial Governor to ensure the Governor’s provincial efforts are aligned with national-level strategies and activities.
Supervision: Governor of Nangarhar and Provincial Governance and Counter Narcotics Program Coordination Advisor
Location: Nangarhar Provincial Government, Jalalabad, Afghanistan
Duration of the assignment: one (1) year
|Date Posted:||06 May 2018||Reference:||001|
|Closing Date:||31 May 2018||Work Type:||Full Time|
|Number of Vacancies:||1||Gender:||Any|
|Functional Area:||Agriculture||Open Ended:||NO|
|Nationality:||Afghan||Salary Range:||As per company salary scale|
|Contract Type:||Long-term||Years of Experience:||3 Year(s)|
|Contract Duration:||1 Year(s) & 0 Month(s)||Extension Possibility:||No|
Duties and Responsibilities
The Advisor’s specific duties will be to train and mentor provincial directorate and district personnel on the following:
Summary of Key Functions:
• Working on developing the capacity of provincial management, planning, coordination, and communications of DAIL, DRRD, Irrigation and Canal directorate directors in Nangarhar Province.
• Identifying all alternative development/livelihood programs and other related projects being implemented in Nangarhar at the provincial level and developing meaningful partnerships with implementers and donors.
• Coordinating the abovementioned programs/projects to de-conflict activities and increase collective effectiveness for the benefit of Nangarhar residents.
• In coordination with the Counter Narcotics Program Coordination Advisor and the Public Affairs Advisor, informing farmers throughout the province of alternatives to cultivating illicit crops.
• Identifying find relevant issues and challenges in the agricultural, irrigation, livestock, and rural development sectors to provide effective inputs at the provincial and field level to support Nangarhar’s counter narcotics strategy.
• Establishing working relationships between district and provincial level authorities and various farmers associations.
• Advising the provincial governor on ways to improve Nangarhar’s agricultural sector.
• Supporting formal and informal training to relevant provincial and district staff, including on management and planning/reporting procedures.
• Implementing an effective monitoring and evaluation system to assess progress of alternative development/livelihoods programs/projects, ensuring sound and valid metrics reporting to meet donor requirements and allowing for program assessment and course corrections, when necessary.
• Drafting and contributing to quarterly assessment/progress reports on Nangarhar’s programmatic activities in the agricultural sector, to include specific follow-on recommendations. It shall be completed at the end of the first year and be provided to the donor, relevant departments (e.g. MCN, MOI, MAIL), and other requesting stakeholders.
• Strong analytical and management skills (especially in change management);
• Proven leadership qualities, including the ability to influence senior management;
• Advanced knowledge of information systems and their effective use as an organizational tool;
• Exceptional interpersonal, written, and oral communication skills;
• Proven ability to work in complex and ambiguous environments;
• Ability to prioritize and delegate work independently and as part of a team.
• History of working with metrics and generating data-driven reports
Advanced university degree (Master’s or PhD) in Agriculture, Agro-Business, Rural Development, Sustainable Agriculture Management or other related fields;
• Minimum of three years of experience with national/international organizations in agriculture, rural development, management.
• Knowledge of agriculture, rural development and farmer’s capacity building at the provincial and district level is desirable.
• Experience in advising and supporting executive management is essential;
• A working knowledge of the local government system at the provincial and district levels and previous experience in this area is highly desirable;
• Knowledge of Nangarhar Province, its people, and issues affecting the province is highly desirable;
• Experience working with or at international organizations and/or multinational organizations, locally or abroad, is preferred.
• Excellent knowledge of Pashtu and Dari (reading/writing/speaking) and working proficiency in English.
Afghanistan - Nangarhar
AF AF 12
Deadline for expressions of interest: 31st May/2018. Expressions of interest should be submitted via a Cover Letter and CV to below email address. The email title should clearly mention: “Provincial Agriculture and Rural Development Advisor”. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for an interview.
|More jobs in this category|
|Sr. M&E Officer at CLAP-MAIL||Kabul||20 Nov 2018|
|M&E Assistant at SNaPP2-MAIL||Multi Cities||20 Nov 2018|
|M&E Assistant at SNaPP2-MAIL||Multi Cities||20 Nov 2018|