Provincial Public Affairs Advisor(1370 Views)
About Colombo Plan
The Drug Advisory Programme (DAP) is a leading intergovernmental association established to address drug use in the Asia Pacific region. One of its key initiatives is institution building that aims to assist the Ministry of Counter Narcotics (MCN) of the Government of the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan fulfil its mandate as the lead government agency in the field of counter narcotics.
MCN provides policy coordination for the government’s counter narcotics activities and programs in cooperation with other ministries, independent bodies, and relevant organizations.
MCN and DAP entered into a mutual agreement to improve the capacity of the MCN to perform its institutional tasks more efficiently and to carry out its legally-mandated roles and responsibilities more effectively. In support of MCN’s Institution Building Project, DAP invites qualified and experienced individuals to apply for the position of Provincial Public Affairs Advisor. The purpose of the position is to assist the Provincial Government of Nangarhar in developing an effective and robust counter narcotics information campaign throughout the province to discourage the local population from participating in any aspect of the illicit drug trade. The advisor would be expected to assist executive officers of the Nangarhar government to communicate frequently with the general public to discourage dependency on the drug economy in Afghanistan. This would be accomplished by working with the staffs of provincial directorates to get the word out using myriad communication vehicles, including local, national, and international media, social media (e.g., Facebook, Twitter, etc.), local communities and schools, faith-based groups, and other stakeholders. In addition, the successful candidate will be expected to link provincial government personnel with donor countries, international organizations, non-governmental organizations, and civil society to strengthen coordinated anti-drug use messaging.
The advisor will report to DAP’s Senior Advisor to the Provincial Governor to ensure the Governor’s provincial efforts are aligned with national-level strategies and activities.
|Date Posted:||06 May 2018||Reference:||002|
|Closing Date:||31 May 2018||Work Type:||Full Time|
|Number of Vacancies:||1||Gender:||Any|
|Functional Area:||Adviser||Open Ended:||NO|
|Nationality:||Afghan||Salary Range:||As per company salary scale|
|Contract Type:||Long-term||Years of Experience:||5 Year(s)|
|Contract Duration:||1 Year(s) & 0 Month(s)||Extension Possibility:||No|
Duties and Responsibilities
The Advisor’s specific duties will be to train and mentor provincial directorate and district personnel on the following:
• Coordinating and implementing effective counter narcotics public information campaigns.
• Working with relevant media organizations to inform the public of provincial government developments and to raise public awareness of CN-related program, including alternative livelihoods, eradication, and law enforcement.
• Coordinating and establishing relationships with Afghan and international press to publish GiRoA positive messages at the local and provincial levels.
• Supporting and building capacity of the provincial directorate of Culture and Information, Nangarhar RTA, civil society, and other stakeholders to provide the necessary information on the drug epidemic and its negative impact on the community to generate grassroots anti-drug use efforts.
• Working with the Ulema, tribal elders, youths, and the media to raise public awareness of the societal dangers of drug cultivation and its prohibition based on moral and faith-based grounds.
• Providing technical advice to the provincial governor on media and cultural matters.
• Drafting and submitting a monthly activities report for the Governor, Provincial Governance and Counter Narcotics Program Coordination Advisor, and donor country.
• Contributing to a Nangarhar-specific report on the overall situation in the province and the effects of the illicit narcotics trade. The report shall include an assessment of current activities and specific follow-on recommendations. It shall be completed at the end of the first year and be provided to the donor, relevant departments, and other requesting stakeholders.
• Strong analytical and management skills (especially in change management);
• Proven leadership qualities, including the ability to influence senior management;
• Advanced knowledge of social media applications and their effective use as a communications tool;
• Exceptional interpersonal, written, and oral communication skills;
• Proven ability to work in complex and ambiguous environments;
• Ability to prioritize and delegate work independently and as part of a team;
• History of working with metrics and generating data-driven reports.
University degree (Bachelor’s or Master’s) in journalism, public administration/policy or other related fields OR a minimum of five years of relevant work experience;
• Experience in advising and supporting executive management is essential;
• Minimum of three years of experience with local/national/international organizations in planning, launching, and administering an information/messaging campaign;
• Experience speaking publicly and making statements to the press; drafting press releases.
• Working knowledge of the local government system at the provincial and district levels and previous experience in this area is highly desirable;
• Working knowledge of the counter narcotics situation in Afghanistan, especially at the local government level.
• Experience working in a high-stress environment and successfully directing individuals and groups with differing viewpoints and communication styles toward accomplishing specific goals.
• Excellent knowledge of Pashtu and Dari (reading/writing/speaking) and working proficiency in English.
Afghanistan - Nangarhar
AF AF 12
Deadline for expressions of interest: __31st May__ 2018. Expressions of interest should be submitted via a Cover Letter and CV to below email address given. The email title should clearly mention: “Provincial Public Affairs Advisor”. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for an interview.
|More jobs in this category|
|Legal Advisor to Minister (Re-announcement) at Ministry of communication ..||Kabul||20 Feb 2019|
|Police Reform and Capacity Building Advis.. at MOIA||Kabul||24 Sep 2019|