Agriculture and Livestock Officer(459 Views)
Afghanaid is a British-registered international NGO, which has worked in Afghanistan for over 30 years. We assist community-driven processes that address the rights and fundamental needs of people in some of the most remote areas of Afghanistan, providing basic services, supporting development of rural livelihoods and responding to humanitarian emergencies. We are headquartered in Kabul, and operate 20 provincial and district offices across Badakhshan (north-eastern region), Samangan (northern region) and Ghor (western region), as well as a Marketing and Fundraising office in London. We employ around 160 personnel, 97% of whom are Afghans.
Families’ Livelihoods and Integration project (FLIP) is a three year project implemented in Nangarhar and Logar, Afghanistan. The project goal is to strengthen women’s livelihoods, build household resilience, and facilitate the reintegration of the displaced population in Jalalabad and Puli Alam in Eastern Afghanistan. The project addresses the current gaps in development programming targeting women’s livelihoods for those most in need in Nangarhar and Logar provinces in the Eastern region in parallel with humanitarian assistance. It will strengthen and diversify the livelihoods of 2,000 women to enable them to build household resilience. The project is designed to promote the reintegration of displaced populations in the host community, which is bolstered by activities targeting 2,000 male members of the beneficiary households.
Planning an implementation of agriculture and livestock project interventions; providing technical expertise, guidance and support to the project participants.
|Date Posted:||08 May 2018||Reference:||VA-2018-25|
|Closing Date:||20 May 2018||Work Type:||Full Time|
|Number of Vacancies:||1||Gender:||Female|
|Functional Area:||Agriculture||Open Ended:||NO|
|Nationality:||Salary Range:||As per company salary scale|
|Contract Type:||Fixed-term||Years of Experience:||3 Year(s)|
|Contract Duration:||0 Year(s) & 4 Month(s)||Extension Possibility:||Yes|
|Probation Period:||3 Months|
Duties and Responsibilities
• Planning, developing and implementing an appropriate agriculture and livestock programme in the selected areas of the respective province in a professional and timely manner.
• Ensuring that the project agriculture and livestock interventions are implemented in accordance with Afghanaid standards, policies and procedures and that those commitments to the donor, communities and other programme partners are fulfilled in a professional and timely manner.
• Coordinating and communicating with other team members and maintain liaison with provincial stakeholders, especially the Department of Agriculture, Irrigation and Livestock, regarding agriculture and livestock related project progress or other related issues.
• Representing Afghanaid in external forums and promote its work among line departments and NGOs working in the respective province.
• Implementation of high-quality agriculture and livestock sector interventions in the selected areas of the respective province ensuring that project targets and contractual obligations related to agriculture and livestock sector are being met.
• Ensure that the implemented activities are technically sound, cost-effective and relevant to the target beneficiaries’ needs.
• Conduct training needs assessments of project participants and facilitate the design and organisation of training programmes to address the identified training needs, prepare training assessment reports.
• Building the capacity of project participants in agriculture, animal husbandry, dairy processing, poultry and other topics based on identified requirements and provision of technical support.
• Promote and support the creation of agro-based small enterprises among the participating women for increased income at household and at community level.
• Monitor all provided support and make recommendations for modification, improvement or the introduction of new activities.
• Facilitate distribution of project materials.
• Advice and assist the Project Manager and Project Coordinator in designing, developing and monitoring the implementation plan.
• Prepare monthly reports.
• Contribute to the preparation of quarterly and annual project work plans and budgets and assist the Project Manager and Project Coordinator in budget tracking and analysis as necessary.
• Work closely with the project team to foster useful communication, collaboration and harmony within the team and promote individual and collective commitment to the implementation quality.
• Liaison with other projects/programmes operating in the agriculture and livelihoods sector in the target districts to identify and learn from development activities currently being undertaken or being developed in these sectors by the other NGOs/departments.
• Ensure a good working relationship with relevant government departments and administration.
• Facilitate visits of any internal or external stakeholders to monitor the project implementation in close coordination with the provincial team.
• Support the M&E Officer in collecting case studies, success stories and data.
• Keep appropriate records for collecting evidence of project implementation: attendance sheets, distribution lists, training needs assessment records, pre, post-training tests, etc.
• Support any surveys conducted by the provincial office.
• Perform any other related duties as required.
University Degree in agriculture or related field
• Minimum three years of experience in a similar capacity
• Proven experience, skills and knowledge regarding horticulture crop production and management, off season vegetable cultivation, plant protection, food processing, vegetable seed production, etc. Experience with and knowledge of animal husbandry, poultry, dairy processing, livestock extension services; and small enterprise development
• Proven experience in assessing training needs and building the capacity of a mixture of literate and illiterate project participants
Professional Skills and Competencies
• Dependable professional with strong organisational and coordination skills, initiative, judgment and adaptability, and ability to work with significant levels of autonomy;
• Demonstrated ability to effectively plan, setting priorities and meeting tight deadlines; results-oriented approach to delivering work priorities;
• Demonstrated commitment to continuous learning and professional development; ability to convert lessons learnt and experiences gained from delivering trainings in the field to improving the training approach;
• Willingness to, enthusiasm for and experience in working with vulnerable women and/or refugee/returnee communities with a focus on their economic and social empowerment and reintegration.
• Knowledge and skills in basic computing
• Working knowledge in English, Dari, Urdu or other local languages
• Strong communication, analytical and report writing skills with fluency in spoken and written Pashto;
Values and attitude
• Demonstrated interpersonal skills in working with a multi-disciplinary team.
• A clear and firm commitment to human rights, equality, role and empowerment of women, minorities and persons with disabilities.
• Understanding and knowledge of the Islamic perspective on women’s rights and a strong understanding of the local context.
• Responsible, committed and honest in his/her work.
• Detail oriented person.
• Resilience to live, travel and work in isolated and possibly insecure locations.
• Flexible, dynamism, ability to multitask
Afghanistan - Nangarhar: Jalalabad, Behsood
Please email a covering letter and your CV including the job title and your name in the subject line by 20 May 2018. Your covering letter should be no more than 2 standard A4 pages in length and explain how you meet the position requirements and why you feel you would be a suitable candidate for this role. Your CV should be no more than 4 pages and include 3 professional references. The precision and style with which you present yourself in your covering letter and CV will be given significant weight in short listing candidates.
|More jobs in this category|
|Young Professional Consultant (Dairy Project) at CLAP-MAIL||Kabul||05 Jun 2018|
|Soil Water Management Specialist at MAIL/CPMO/LKIS||Multi Cities||30 May 2018|
|Communication Officer at MAIL/CPMO||Kabul||28 May 2018|
|FOOD SECURITY AND LIVELIHOODS DEPUTY HEAD OF .. at ACTION CONTRE LA FAIM||Kabul||26 May 2018|
|Provincial Agriculture & Rural Development Ad.. at Colombo Plan||Nangarhar||31 May 2018|