Agriculture Extension Officer(1579 Views)
Support to National Priority Program2 (SNaPP2) is a development project of MAIL funded IFAD with the goal to improve food security and economic status of poor rural households in three provinces; Balkh, Herat and Nangarhar. The project will reach at least 57,000 households consisting of 427,500 people in these provinces.
The project has two specific objectives: (i) institutional development and capacity building of community organizations, public extension services and relevant private sector entities in the provinces; and (ii) sustained increased incomes of small farmers and herders fostered by improvements in productivity and output, infrastructure and market linkages. These objectives will be addressed through supporting institutions and services, fostering increased productivity and production, and where feasible, upgrading profitable agriculture/livestock value chains.
General Directorate of extension is the main stakeholders of the program and will lead the implementation of tow sub components 1. Extension services and 2. Small-holder Institutional development and Capacity Building. G.D of extension will establish program management unit under overall supervision of G.D general director who will be responsible for the implementation of the relate activities in three provinces.
Extension sub components will strengthen the extension directorate by: (i) establishing a women’s extension department in Kabul and a cadre of 12 female extension workers specializing in agriculture and livestock, in line with the Taksheel, across the six pilot districts; (ii) strengthening the male extension worker cadre at district level in agriculture and livestock; (iii) targeting young graduates from local agricultural faculties to be recruited as extension assistants, under the Taksheel, funded by the project in years 1-3 and by MAIL thereafter; and, (iv) adapting the curriculum, in collaboration with relevant MAIL directorates, using updated techniques.
Small-holder Institutional development and Capacity Building will strengthen the female CDCs through an orientation and training program guaranteeing female CDCs’ direct control over financial resources, over some elements of project implementation and over female beneficiary selection.
Under the direct supervision of Provincial Extension Coordinator and overall supervision of Program Director of SNaPP2. The Agricultural Extension Officer will be based in the three provinces (Balkh, Nangarhar and Herat) and will be supervised by Provincial Extension coordinator. The Agricultural extension officer will work closely with farmer’s groups, enhance their capacity to identify extension and agriculture development issues, develop plans and retain sustainable income resources.
The key focus of extension service under SNaPP2 will be the development of community groups, Farmers Learning Resource Centre (FLRC), community-based facilitators, community planning and implementation of development actions based on demand driven and participatory methods in collaboration with the CDCs and other groups.
|Date Posted:||09 May 2018||Reference:||MAIL-004-018|
|Closing Date:||22 May 2018||Work Type:||Full Time|
|Number of Vacancies:||3||Gender:||Male|
|Functional Area:||Agriculture||Open Ended:||NO|
|Nationality:||Afghan||Salary Range:||As per NTA Salary Scale Policy|
|Contract Type:||Fixed-term||Years of Experience:||4 Year(s)|
|Contract Duration:||1 Year(s) & 0 Month(s)||Extension Possibility:||Yes|
|Probation Period:||3 Months|
Duties and Responsibilities
The specific responsibility of the Agriculture Extension Officer would include but not limited to the followings:
1. Assess existing situation of agricultural extension and rural support services in target areas.
2. Assess existing capacities and limitations of the extension service providers.
3. Establish and support Farmer's Learning and Resource Centres (FLRCs), farmer’s interest groups and producers' associations, and to facilitate private sector linkages.
4. Strengthen the planning, implementation and monitoring capacities of the provincial and district extension staff.
5. Support Establishment of Farmers Field Schools (FFS) with close coordination of Extension workers.
6. Support the introduction and adoption of appropriate horticultural and agronomic technologies specifically for rain-feed and irrigated wheat production and productivity to contribute to food security.
7. Review contributions of training programs launched for the farmers, field trainers, extension staff and stakeholders involved in the supply of inputs and market development.
8. Examine potentials for modernizing agriculture through delivery of effective extension and rural support services.
9. Advice, support and guide Provincial and District teams on agriculture related issues.
10. Identify and create farmers’ groups, associations and unions for the development and dissemination of agricultural extension and rural support services.
11. Suggest policy measures required for the improvement of agricultural extension and rural support services delivery.
12. Ensure timely preparation and submission of required technical and other reports and success stories as outlined in the program.
13. Assist the senior management and other team members with the management, oversight, coordination and monitoring of all operations of SNaPP2 in the field.
14. Be able to travel frequently to the project sites in districts where SNaPP2 project is implemented.
15. Prepare training materials and work as trainer in areas related to extension in all regular training courses of the project, especially for component 2.
16. Other relevant activities assigned by supervisor/ project from time to time
Accountability and Supervision:
Under the direct supervision of Provincial Extension Coordinator and overall supervision of Program Director of SNaPP2. The Agricultural extension officer will be based in the three provinces (Balkh, Nangarhar and Herat) and will be supervised by Provincial Extension coordinator. The Agricultural extension officer will work closely with farmer’s groups, enhance their capacity to identify extension and agriculture development issues, develop plans and retain sustainable income resources.
The key focus of extension service under SNaPP2 will be development of community groups, Farmers Learning Resource Centre (FLRC), community-based facilitators, community planning and implementation of development actions based on demand driven and participatory methods in collaboration with the CDCs and other groups.
Travels to Provinces
Require Travels to Provinces
Familiarity with Agriculture and specifically Extension issues in Afghanistan is highly desirable
Familiarity with project management approaches, tools and phases of the project lifecycle.
Able to work effectively at all levels in an organization.
Excellent active listening skills.
Problem solving and root cause identification skills.
Strong analytic and decision-making abilities.
Must be a team player and able to work with and through others.
Qualification and Experience:
• BS.c in Agriculture Extension, Agronomy or Horticulture.
• At least 4 years of work experience related fields.
• Professional, relevant experience in Afghanistan required.
Afghanistan - Herat
Bachelors Degree, Agriculture
• The interested candidates should submit their resume along with a cover letter to Human Resource Directorate of Ministry of Agriculture, Irrigation and Livestock (MAIL) as following Conditions
• Subject line must be (Agriculture Extension Officer-MAIL-004-018) otherwise application will NOT be considered
• No resume will be taken under consideration without having a cover letter, the position title vacancy number in the subject line of the email
• Please note that application received after the closing date will not be considered
Note: The Ministry of Agriculture, Irrigation and Livestock (MAIL) is an equal opportunity employer which encourages male and female candidates to apply for vacant positions.
Only short-listed candidates whose applications respond to the above criteria will be contacted
|More jobs in this category|
|Provincial Site Coordinator - Nangarhar at Catalyzing Afghan Agricultural..||Nangarhar||25 Jul 2018|
|Provincial Technical Specialist - Nangarhar at Catalyzing Afghan Agricult..||Nangarhar||25 Jul 2018|
|EFL Instructor (Adjunct) at American University of Afghanistan||Kabul||24 Jul 2018|
|Livestock Extension Officer at SNAPP-2/MAIL||Nangarhar||30 Jul 2018|
|Project Manager at CLAP-MAIL||Kabul||23 Jul 2018|
|Field Officer at DACAAR||Kandahar||24 Jul 2018|
|Breeder & Hatchery Consultant at CARD-F||Kandahar||21 Jul 2018|
|Breeder Consultant at CARD-F||Multi Cities||21 Jul 2018|
|Commercial Layer Farms Consultant at CARD-F||Multi Cities||21 Jul 2018|
|Hatchery Consultant at CARD-F||Multi Cities||21 Jul 2018|
|National Community Development Specialist at Food and Agriculture Organiz..||Kabul||19 Jul 2018|
|Provincial Coordinator at MAIL||Nangarhar||24 Jul 2018|