Livestock Extension Officer(1735 Views)
Support to National Priority Program2 (SNaPP2) is a development project of MAIL funded IFAD with the goal to improve food security and economic status of poor rural households in three provinces; Balkh, Herat and Nangarhar. The project will reach at least 57,000 households consisting of 427,500 people in these provinces.
The project has two specific objectives: (i) institutional development and capacity building of community organizations, public extension services and relevant private sector entities in the provinces; and (ii) sustained increased incomes of small farmers and herders fostered by improvements in productivity and output, infrastructure and market linkages. These objectives will be addressed through supporting institutions and services, fostering increased productivity and production, and where feasible, upgrading profitable agriculture/livestock value chains.
General Directorate of extension is the main stakeholders of the program and will lead the implementation of tow sub components 1. Extension services and 2. Small-holder Institutional development and Capacity Building. G.D of extension will establish program management unit under overall supervision of G.D general director who will be responsible for the implementation of the relate activities in three provinces.
Extension sub components will strengthen the extension directorate by: (i) establishing a women’s extension department in Kabul and a cadre of 12 female extension workers specializing in agriculture and livestock, in line with the Taksheel, across the six pilot districts; (ii) strengthening the male extension worker cadre at district level in agriculture and livestock; (iii) targeting young graduates from local agricultural faculties to be recruited as extension assistants, under the Taksheel, funded by the project in years 1-3 and by MAIL thereafter; and, (iv) adapting the curriculum, in collaboration with relevant MAIL directorates, using updated techniques.
Small-holder Institutional development and Capacity Building will strengthen the female CDCs through an orientation and training program guaranteeing female CDCs’ direct control over financial resources, over some elements of project implementation and over female beneficiary selection.
Under the overall supervision of the Program Director and direct supervision of Provincial Extension Coordinator/ Advisor and in close collaboration with the SNaPP2 Senior Livestock Officer, the Livestock Extension Officer will be based in the three provinces (Balkh, Herat and Nangarhar). The Livestock Extension Officer will work closely with farmers groups, enhance their capacity to identify livestock extension and agriculture development issues, develop plans and retain sustainable
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
The key focus of livestock extension officer under SNaPP2 Livestock Project will be development of community groups, FLRC, community-based facilitators, community planning and implementation of development actions based on demand driven and participatory methods in collaboration with the DAILs, CDCs and other groups.
|Date Posted:||09 May 2018||Reference:||MAIL-002-018|
|Closing Date:||22 May 2018||Work Type:||Full Time|
|Number of Vacancies:||3||Gender:||Any|
|Functional Area:||Agriculture||Open Ended:||NO|
|Nationality:||Afghan||Salary Range:||As per NTA Salary Scale Policy10000.0|
|Contract Type:||Fixed-term||Years of Experience:||4 Year(s)|
|Contract Duration:||1 Year(s) & 0 Month(s)||Extension Possibility:||Yes|
|Probation Period:||3 Months|
Duties and Responsibilities
1. Key focus of livestock extension services under SNaPP2 will be development of community groups, community-based facilitators, community planning and implementation of development actions based on demand driven and participatory methods in close collaboration with the DAILs, CDCs, DDAs, and other groups.
2. Establish and Support farmer’s interest groups and producers' associations, and to facilitate private sector linkages.
3. Establish community-based farmer facilitators (e.g. village-based animal health worker, farmer field school facilitator, village group leaders, etc.).
4. Organize on site trainings for the livestock farmers mainly in Farmer filed School (FFS) model in close coordination with stakeholders and SNaPP2 Livestock Technical Team.
5. Assist in development of farmer groups in coordination with the district extension, livestock managers and Community Development Councils (CDCs) in order to work efficiently and effectively.
6. Closely work with other extension workers (Agriculture and livestock) of the project to ensure quality service, cooperation and coordination.
7. Assist farmer groups to identify priority Extension and Agricultural development issues and formulate community-based action plans.
8. Ensuring that gender-mainstreamed in all livestock activities, ensure the implementation of all gender targets, ensure the inclusion of activities of interest for women such as food preparation, milk production, processing, storage, etc.
9. Ensuring to establish livestock value chain (input & output delivery).
10. Follow the seasonal calendar for conducting such trainings.
11. Collection of data on production and productivity, processing of livestock products, breed improvement, feeding, forage production/conservation, involvement of male and female farmers in management and marketing, of livestock products etc.
12. Keep all the record of activities.
13. Help male or female extension workers and farmers to plan and implement the livestock activities.
14. It is a field-based position. So, she/he will spend 80 % time in field and should be ready to travel to field (all districts and villages) of the province and conduct the meeting in the field to the livestock farmer groups.
15. Participate in stakeholders’ meetings.
16. Provide Agriculture and livestock extension services to farmers that are input provision, land preparation, production, agro processing and commercialization of the agricultural products (fodder crops) through various methods of extension and training.
17. Conducts filed demonstration and prepare its reports.
18. Help to link the farmer groups “FGs” with the service delivery organization such as Veterinary Field Units (VFUs) or any other animal health providers etc.
19. Coordinate to develop, manage and conduct the workshops and trainings and other agricultural extension education models.
20. Liaise with livestock processors/entrepreneurs:
21. Keep records and notes about all important observations and recommendations made;
22. Keep good work discipline and report daily activities and field observations in written form to the provincial coordinators.
23. In collaboration with Agriculture extension team and service providers in provincial level ensure timely preparation of annual work plans, targets and outputs as an integral part of the annual work plan and budget.
24. Ensure the adequate and timely preparation of progress reports.
25. Perform any other tasks assigned by the coordinator.
Accountability and Supervision:
Under the overall supervision of the Program Director and direct supervision of Provincial Extension Coordinator/ Advisor and in close collaboration with the SNaPP2 Senior Livestock Officer, the Livestock Extension Officer will be based in the three provinces (Balkh, Herat and Nangarhar). The Livestock Extension Officer will work closely with farmers groups, enhance their capacity to identify livestock extension and agriculture development issues, develop plans and retain sustainable.
Travels to Provinces
Require Travels to Provinces
• Working knowledge of the sector and experience in livestock.
• Good report and success stories writing skills.
• Computer knowledge (should know office packages and internet).
• Ability to remain organized and punctual.
• Ability in English language (verbal and written communication)
• The livestock extension officer must have BSc. in Animal Science or DVM veterinarians
• At least 4 years of relevant professional work experience in livestock development and community-based projects.
Afghanistan - Balkh
AF AF 12
Bachelors Degree, Agriculture
• The interested candidates should submit their resume along with a cover letter to Human Resource Directorate of Ministry of Agriculture, Irrigation and Livestock (MAIL) as following Conditions
• Subject line must be (Livestock Extension Officer-MAIL-002-018) otherwise application will NOT be considered
• No resume will be taken under consideration without having a cover letter, the position title vacancy number in the subject line of the email
• Please note that application received after the closing date will not be considered
Note: The Ministry of Agriculture, Irrigation and Livestock (MAIL) is an equal opportunity employer which encourages male and female candidates to apply for vacant positions.
Only short-listed candidates whose applications respond to the above criteria will be contacted.
|More jobs in this category|
|Social Safeguards, and Gender Specialist (Re .. at ( Ministry of Agricul..||Kabul||26 Nov 2018|
|Sr. M&E Officer at CLAP-MAIL||Kabul||20 Nov 2018|
|M&E Assistant at SNaPP2-MAIL||Multi Cities||20 Nov 2018|
|M&E Assistant at SNaPP2-MAIL||Multi Cities||20 Nov 2018|
|Farmers Call Center Operator at MAIL/OFWMP||Kabul||16 Nov 2018|
|IPM Specialist at MAIL/OFWMP||Kabul||16 Nov 2018|