Higher Education Curriculum Development Advisor(553 Views)
About HEDP / MoHE
Afghan policy makers perceive higher education as a vital engine of growth and development. The higher education system produces a pool of high level human resources, including policy makers, administrators, managers, entrepreneurs, engineers, medical personnel, highly skilled technicians, as well as qualified teachers and academics, that are essential for economic development. The availability of such a pool of well-educated human resources will be of central importance for the overall future development of the country. Recognizing this, the Government of Afghanistan and the World Bank (WB) have agreed to support the higher education sector through a Higher Education Operation that will succeed the previous Strengthening Higher Education Project (SHEP). The new Higher Education Development Project (HEDP) will support the overall Government’s own effort to expand and strengthen its higher education sector.
The proposed project contains two components: (1) A program component that finances strategic initiatives to develop the higher education sector. The strategic initiatives are (a) increasing participation in universities in priority degree programs for national economic development, (b) modernizing and enhancing the quality and relevance of teaching and learning; (c) expanding the professional qualifications and skills of academic and technical staff; (d) strengthening governance, quality assurance and accreditation; and (e) stimulating development orientated research. And (2) a program operations and technical support component that would support project coordination, implementation, monitoring and evaluation, research activities, human resource development for academic managers and administrative and technical staff, policy studies, beneficiary satisfaction surveys, communications and policy dialogues. The Director of the Operations and Monitoring Support Team (OMST) in the Ministry of Higher Education (MoHE) will coordinate and facilitate the implementation of HEDP in close collaboration with its relevant departments.
OPERATIONS AND MONITORING SUPPORT TEAM
Support under OMST will cover coordination, technical assistance (TA), monitoring and evaluation, research and policy studies, and communication. The technical assistance and capacity building activities of this component will assist the MoHE to implement the development initiatives of the NHESP-II. Policy studies could include tracer studies of graduates to analyze their job search and labor market experience, as well as beneficiary satisfaction surveys of staff and students of institutions and programs supported by HEDP. Resources for communication would enable higher education authorities to disseminate development initiatives to political authorities, policy makers, academics, students, and the general public. The team would help MoHE to fine tune policy reforms, such as piloting and evaluating innovative approaches to promote female enrolment in priority programs. Component 2 of the Projectwill also finance the incremental operating costs of an Operations and Monitoring Support Team (OMST) in the MoHE.
The position is for the duration of the project, subject to satisfactory performance. There will be a probation period of three months. Annual performance evaluations will be organized by the Director, OMST. Feedback will be obtained from MoHE for the performance evaluation.
The salary for this position is based on NTA salary scale.
Females are highly encouraged to apply.
|Date Posted:||16 May 2018||Reference:||HEDP / MoHE / 48|
|Closing Date:||05 Jun 2018||Work Type:||Full Time|
|Number of Vacancies:||1||Gender:||Any|
|Functional Area:||Education||Open Ended:||NO|
|Nationality:||Afghan||Salary Range:||As per NTA Salary Scale Policy|
|Contract Type:||Short Term||Years of Experience:||5 Year(s)|
|Contract Duration:||0 Year(s) & 0 Month(s)||Extension Possibility:||Yes|
|Probation Period:||3 Months|
Duties and Responsibilities
The main duties and responsibilities of the Advisor are:
• Work closely with the curriculum development department of MoHE and Teaching and Learning Senior Manager of OMST, HEDP.
• Ensure that curriculum development reform plan and framework accounts for outcome based education and student centred learning (OBE-SCL) and is connected with the Teaching and Learning component of HEDP
• Quality assure the final curriculum framework product.
• Carry a desk review of the existing documents, including bylaws directly or indirectly connected with curriculum, curriculum documents of science and social sciences programs, the quality assurance and accreditation framework, and develop a report detailing the findings and recommendations for development of curriculum reform plan.
• Guide stakeholders (MoHE staff, technical working groups convened for scope and sequence development) on making choices leading to a final curriculum framework based on feedback from the curriculum consultations, curriculum stakeholders, and international best practices, and the general skills/competences scope and sequence and preliminary subject selection and lesson hour distribution in the draft curriculum framework.
• Guide stakeholders (the technical working groups convened for the individual subject’s scope and sequence, international experts engaged for this task) on making curricular choices based on the curriculum framework, best practices, the general skills/competences scope and sequence, and subject characteristics, to ensure a coherent and robust syllabus scope and sequence.
• Undertake modifications/updates to the Curriculum Reform Plan as needed
• Prepare briefs of the Curriculum Reform Plan for stakeholders as needed.
• Provide technical advice/presentations to the Curriculum Working Group (comprised of key stakeholders to the process of curriculum reform) throughout the assignment.
• Conduct pilot assessment in Kabul, Kandahar, Mazar, Herat, Nangarhar, Khost, Parwan universities to identify challenges, positive and negative points in their teaching methods and curriculum. Present a comprehensive report after monitoring and overseeing the curriculum (subjects, books, teaching material, and equipment) in collaboration with officials and honourable teachers/lecturers to identify the problem areas and possible solutions to the Ministry of Higher Education.
• Update the work plans and mechanism for implementation of a standard curriculum in all universities and higher education institutes.
• Consultation with local universities on incorporation of curricular changes and relevant roll out plans
• Prepare and update academic plan to enable faculties and departments of subjects and teaching materials/methods to fill the gaps and prevent repetitions.
• Seek effective ways to strengthen relations and share experiences, use resources among universities and faculties.
• Prepare action plans in order to improve quality of education & teaching in consultation with officials and honourable teachers/lecturers. Identify goals for each faculty through conferences, seminars, educational tours, extra-curricular activities, practical work and researches.
• Introduce a mechanism for thesis writing and projects of final year students; and a mechanism for universities to check the genuinity of the thesis;
• Assess and review the text books, chapters, lecturer notes and teaching methods to prepare action plans for editions and renewing textbooks and materials while considering environmental conditions and resources.
• Asses the teaching and learning methodology and prepare a plan for 100% implementation of outcome based education and student centred learning;
• Assist in evaluation of the examination system to prevent corruption and ensure transparency to promote positive competition among students.
• Organize workshop and seminars to bring curriculum reforms and advancement in various universities.
• Prepare logical plans across all levels; preliminary, secondary and higher education to establish a joint vocational committee in close consultation with Ministry of Education and Higher Education to have a balanced, economical and high quality education system according to the requirements and available resources of country and society.
• Prepare corrective plans and solutions for curriculum reform in universities, higher education institutes after assessment.
• Any other duty assigned by the honorable Minister of Higher Education.
Travels to Provinces
Require Travels to Provinces
• Ability to speak, read and write excellent English, and produce reports in English for regular and continuous presentations
• Ability to work with and be a partner of a team of diverse backgrounds
• Ability to work efficiently, and to meet deadlines
• Ability to function effectively in a team environment inspiring trust and cooperation of other team members
• Strong communication, negotiating skills and good interpersonal relations
• Computer literate
At least 5 years of relevant experience or worked in higher education field with a relevant Master Degree. Previous experience in donor funded development project, a university, NGOs or in the public or the private sector would be an advantage.
Afghanistan - Kabul: PROVINCIAL CENTER (KABUL)
Masters Degree, Education
Interested national candidates should submit their applications in writing to Administration & HR Department Higher Education Development Program (HEDP) at the Ministry of Higher Education located in Karta-e-4, MoHE, Kabul, Afghanistan or e-mail their application (indicating in the subject line the Vacancy Announcement number and the title of the post applied to) to the following email address.
Please note that applications received after the closing date will not be given consideration, Only short-listed candidates whose applications correspond to the above criteria will be contacted for written test / interview, Females are highly encouraged to apply.
|More jobs in this category|
|Senior Education & Technology Manager at HEDP / MoHE||Kabul||08 Jun 2018|
|Re-announced Deputy Coordinator at SDROA||Kabul||09 Jun 2018|
|Curriculum Development Assistant at TURQUOISE MOUNTAIN||Kabul||04 Jun 2018|
|Curriculum Development Assistant at TURQUOISE MOUNTAIN||Kabul||04 Jun 2018|
|Part Time PMP Instructor at Aghaez Professional Services||Kabul||31 Jul 2018|
|Child Friendly School Advisor at Ministry of Education (MoE)||Kabul||28 May 2018|
|Community Based Education Advisor at Ministry of Education (MoE)||Kabul||28 May 2018|
|Teacher معلم at Kabul Afghan Turk Girls' High School||Kabul||30 Jun 2018|
|معلم Teacher at Ariana Afghan Turk High School||Kabul||30 Jun 2018|
|Englısh Teacher at Barakat International School||Kabul||29 May 2018|
|English Teacher at Elahm-e-Navin Academic Center||Kabul||31 Dec 2018|