Communication & Research Manager(1346 Views)
About Afghanistan Centre at Kabul University
The Afghanistan Centre at Kabul University (ACKU) is the premier library and research center in Afghanistan. ACKU was established in 1989 in Peshawar, Pakistan, as the ACBAR Resource and Information Centre (ARIC). Currently ACKU has over 150,000 books and manuscripts in Dari, Pashto, English and other languages. ACKU is working to make as much of its collection available online as possible, through a digital repository linked to its online catalog. ACKU also runs an outreach program called ACKU Box Library Extension (ABLE) that provides libraries in a box to rural communities and high schools throughout the country. ABLE is the pioneer of box libraries in Afghanistan, aiming to enhance and encourage reading among people of all ages and abilities.
The Communication and Research Manager will have two key interlinked roles: communications and research. The C&R manager will be responsible for communicating and promoting ACKU’s resources to the academic community and wider society through newsletters, reports and a media strategy, as well as exhibitions and lectures; and for supporting the development of an academic research culture in Afghan institutions of higher education through the organization of conferences, seminars, workshops on academic writing and research methods, in particular the use of archival sources.
|Date Posted:||30 May 2018||Reference:||03|
|Closing Date:||15 Jun 2018||Work Type:||Full Time|
|Number of Vacancies:||1||Gender:||Any|
|Functional Area:||Communication||Open Ended:||NO|
|Nationality:||Afghan||Salary Range:||As per company salary scale|
|Contract Type:||Fixed-term||Years of Experience:||5 Year(s)|
|Contract Duration:||0 Year(s) & 0 Month(s)||Extension Possibility:||No|
|Probation Period:||3 Months|
Duties and Responsibilities
Duties and Responsibilities: Communication
ACKU has a unique collection of documents and artefacts relating to Afghan culture, history, politics and society, but this collection is currently underused. The C&R manager is responsible for raising the profile of the archive in Afghanistan and internationally through a coherent communication strategy to be developed in collaboration with the Directors of ACKU and the project manager. This strategy should include the following elements.
• Liaise with ACKU team in organizing public events (debates, exhibitions, lectures and conferences) related to Afghanistan.
• Promote ACKU's archive and resources to the national and international scholarly community through arranging a series of monthly events highlighting different aspects of the archive (e.g. exhibitions of photographs, exhibitions of historical issues of newspapers); seminars by scholars using materials from the archives, or authors of books in archives; exhibitions of the kind of work the library team do on email, media, organization website, client portals and similar channels.
• Develop ACKU branding and outreach policy. Train and supervise other technical units to incorporate ACKU communication policy.
• Develop, with the support of the ACKU team, a media strategy that promotes ACKU's archive and activities through a regular newsletter (in print and on social media)
• In collaboration with the ACKU management team, prepare regular reports for donors etc. on ACKU activities.
• Develop and maintain an income stream through the organization of paying events at ACKU, and set up an annual conference that focuses on one of the key collections in the ACKU archive.
• Assist communication officer to establish and maintain VIP contact list for use in conjunction with special invitations to events, significant announcements, newsletters etc.
Duties and Responsibilities: Research
The second key responsibility of the C&R manager is to support University staff and students through the development of a research strategy. Such a strategy will enable staff and students to develop their academic research skills, to progress to postgraduate studies (less than 5% of faculty have PhDs) and to publish peer reviewed articles and research monographs. This strategy will include:
• At least one weekly research seminar series per semester (speakers to include visitors to ACKU, Afghan professors, Afghan and international researchers working in Afghanistan.
• Monthly public lectures by visiting academics on topics related to Afghanistan.
• Run at least one research training course/workshop per semester designed for postgraduate students (academic writing, research methods etc.).
• The preparation and submission of applications for research projects that a) contribute to knowledge relating to Afghanistan in the Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences and b) offer practical hands on research experience to students.
• Investigate founding of research journal.
• Prepare a monthly report detailing communication and research activities.
• Support the other members of the ACKU team in their activities.
• And updating the Donor tracking sheet on a monthly basis.
• Responsible to work with PM and ED in researching the funding opportunities by weekly scanning the RFPs/RFAs, tenders, projects and initiatives and updating the Donor Tracking Sheet on a monthly basis.
• Identifying donors specifies to research program and work with PM and ED in looking for scopes and possibilities of collaborations.
• Develop Monitoring and Evaluation system/tools for the use in program/project implementation consistent with donor requirements.
• Develop two or three “on-the-shelf” concept notes/proposals that can be used as required.
• Work with PM in maintaining a comprehensive master file for each awarded fund including the original proposal, all award document, reports etc.
Travels to Provinces
Require Travels to Provinces
• Excellent organizational skills.
• High-level knowledge and good practice with Word, Excel, Outlook, etc.
• Ability to Speak Dari and/or Pashto and excellent written and spoken English required.
• Strong networking, interpersonal and presentation skills.
• A good team player, enthusiastic, initiative and flexible.
• Ability to work independently with limited supervision.
• Ability to write to good proposals/ concept notes.
• The candidate must hold a Master’s Degree (Ph.D preferred) in relevant field with at least three –five years of working experience in NGOs/INGOs in a similar position with demonstrated senior management expertise.
Afghanistan - Kabul: PROVINCIAL CENTER (KABUL)
AF AF 12
Masters Degree, Communication
Qualified candidates may send their application, including a letter of interest (must) and CV to: Afghanistan Centre at Kabul University (ACKU), Application without subject of job title and vacancy No will not concerned, Kabul University campus, ACKU Office, beside faculty of Science. Or to the email address
|More jobs in this category|
|Research & Communication Manager at Afghanistan Microfinance Association ..||Kabul||27 Oct 2018|