Lead Researcher/s(555 Views)
About Integrity Watch Afghanistan
Integrity Watch is an Afghan civil society organization committed to increase transparency, accountability, and integrity in Afghanistan.
The mission of Integrity Watch is to put corruption under the spotlight through community monitoring, research, and advocacy. We mobilize and train communities to monitor infrastructure projects, public services, courts, and extractives industries. We develop community monitoring tools, provide policy-oriented research, facilitate policy dialogue, and advocate for integrity, transparency, and accountability in Afghanistan.
Integrity Watch was created in October 2005 and established itself as an independent civil society organization in 2006. It has approximately 100 staff members and about 500 active volunteers. The head office of Integrity Watch is in Kabul with provincial offices in Balkh, Bamyan, Herat, Kabul, Kapisa, Jawzjan, Nangarhar, Parwan, and Kuner provinces and programmatic outreach in many other provinces.
Integrity Watch’s work has three major components: (1) Community Monitoring, (2) Research, and (3) Advocacy. Integrity Watch tries to encourage active citizenship and community mobilization through its programs. Our community monitoring work includes development of community monitoring tools, mobilizing and training communities to monitor infrastructure projects, public services, courts, and extractives industries.
Our research work is focused on policy-oriented research measuring trends, perceptions and experiences of corruption and covering wide range of corruption related issues including security and justice sectors, extractive industries, budget and public finance management, and aid effectiveness. The objective is to develop new, ground-breaking empirical research in order to set the agenda, influence decision-makers, bring to the public attention non-documented and non-explored issues.
The aim of our advocacy work is to enhance Integrity Watch’s pioneering role in advocating for knowledgeable decision-making and informed public debate on corruption and integrity. Our advocacy work includes facilitation of policy dialogue on issues related to integrity, transparency, and accountability. We advocate for access to information; budget transparency, accountability, and participation; aid transparency and effectiveness; social accountability; and other issues related to anti-corruption.
The Lead Researcher of the project titled “KAP Research/Survey” will be responsible to design the project, conduct and manage the field researcher, analyse the data and draft the report of 12,000 - 18,000 words together with such comparative charts and graphs as may be necessary and appropriate to illustrate certain key points. Integrity Watch will expect a well-written (in English), thought-provoking and evidence-based first draft within the agreed timeline, after which and based upon comments from senior management of the client, representatives of IWA’s Board and other external reviewers, the author will finalize this report based on comments from the afore-mentioned individuals. During the extent of this contract, the selected author will work under the supervision of Integrity Watch’s Head of Research
|Date Posted:||12 Jun 2018||Reference:||036/ 18|
|Closing Date:||23 Jun 2018||Work Type:||Full Time|
|Number of Vacancies:||2||Gender:||Any|
|Functional Area:||Research/Survey||Open Ended:||NO|
|Nationality:||Afghan||Salary Range:||As per company salary scale|
|Contract Type:||Consultant||Years of Experience:||4 Year(s)|
|Contract Duration:||0 Year(s) & 6 Month(s)||Extension Possibility:||Yes|
Duties and Responsibilities
1. Designing of the research
• Design the research project and methodology to carry out the research survey.
• Design research instruments that the research team will use for conducting the research;
• Identify key individuals for interviews;
2. Conducting of the research
• Conduct comprehensive desk review;
• Conduct interviews with key individuals identified in research sampling plan;
• Update the research manager on a bi-weekly basis;
• Manage implementation of field tests (if relevant);
• Participate in validation meeting;
• Work closely with research officers and coordinators in data collection and ground research in Kabul, Balkh and Herat provinces.
3. Write up of the research
• Prepare the dataset and analyse the data;
• Revise draft research report based on feedback from the client, the advisory group, peer reviewer, and other stakeholders;
• Full report, materials and events will be in English. If possible, oversee translation of report into Dari and Pashto ensuring appropriate terminology.
By the end of assignment, the lead researcher will be expected to have delivered the following outputs:
• A quality assured research report;
• Complete data-set after analyses and interpretation;
• Analyse the quantitative and qualitative data collected through surveys;
• Present the data in tables, charts etc. in internationally standard manners;
• Present draft report and finding to the management and teams;
• Write a narrative analytical report that combines the desk research with the data collected and analysed;
• Full report will be in English. If possible, oversee translation of report into Pashto and Dari ensuring appropriate terminology;
• Present the main findings to the client management;
Travels to Provinces
Require Travels to Provinces
Knowledge, skills and abilities
• Good knowledge of the anti-corruption, transparency and accountability, social auditing and access to information;
• Constructive attitude and ability to approach work with positive energy;
• Ability to work with minimal supervision and can deliver on agreed timelines;
• Demonstrate high level of integrity;
• Good communication, interpersonal and analytical skills and team player;
• Ability to think and work logically and work precisely with attention to detail;
• Ability to write clearly and concisely;
• Excellent computer skills, with good knowledge of Microsoft Office applications
The successful candidate will possess some or all of the following characteristics:
• Fluency in written and spoken English, Pashto and Dari.
• Master Degree in Law and Political Science
• At least 3-5 years’ experience working in the field of research, social science or management
• Proven interest in issues of justice, integrity and anti-corruptions in governance in Afghanistan;
• In-depth understanding of the social survey research, data collection, and field management.
• Ability to recruit, train, monitor and control field staff
• Knowledge of computer programs, including Microsoft Word, and Excel;
• Experience in program management and logistics;
• Punctuality, intellectual curiosity, willingness to take initiative, multi-tasking, and willingness to work under pressure to meet deadlines;
• Ability to travel to the provinces, districts and villages level;
Afghanistan - Kabul
Masters Degree, Law
Please apply by sending a CV and a cover letter that outlines how your experience and education relates to the skills and experience outlined in the Terms of Reference to: In the e-mail subject line please write “Lead Researcher – KAP” and your name.
The deadline for applications is 23 June, 2018. However, interviews of suitable candidates may begin as applications are received. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
|More jobs in this category|
|Intern/Researcher at CAPS||Kabul||30 Aug 2018|
|Inspection Consultant - Health at Integrity Watch Afghanistan||Kabul||18 Aug 2018|