Business Development Manager(905 Views)
TechNation is an Afghanistan-based technology, management and consulting company that leverages technology for business, education and society. Incorporated in 2010 in Afghanistan, TechNation strives to achieve following objectives:
- Support business automation through creating technologies and information systems for web, mobile and desktop;
- Enhance employability of young people through training, skills and education;
- Empower citizens by providing technology and knowledge resources;
- Create wealth and employment by launching startup support programs in various industries;
- Promote a culture of innovation through initiating technology innovation programs;
- Facilitate an enabling environment for business and social development through policy research and analysis.
TechNation has been designing, implementing and sustaining several programs, projects, subsidiaries, products and services to help sustain its operations, grow its business, and sustain the wider impact on various communities across Afghanistan and the rest of the world.
To identify new business opportunities, develop and implement clear and coherent strategies for revenue generating projects, and manage existing business projects. The resource directs the business development activities of TechNation and drives the new sales business for the company playing key role in the company’s bottom line. The BD Manager is responsible for developing and implementing a comprehensive internal and external marketing plan that would increase revenues and profits. This position is expected to uphold the mission and values established by the organization; and be responsible for:
1) Leading and mentoring a team of business development professionals;
Identifying new partners and negotiating first-of-their kind business and technical terms with them across a variety of initiatives including TechLabs, TechAfghanistan, TechWomen.Af/.Asia, TechKids, TechTV and other programs, services and products.
2) Managing relationships with key players and platform holders in the tech ecosystem including Google, Microsoft, Facebook, Twitter and others.
3) Partner with TechLabs (Product and Engineering) teams to identify growth opportunities.
4) Inform, influence, support, and execute our product and program decisions.
5) Track, analyze, influence, and communicate key metrics to build opportunities and experiences that create scale and meaningful ecosystem value.
Key areas for the resource to engage in include: Strategy, New Markets, Business Growth and Development, Business/ Market Research and Analysis; Alliances and Partnerships. The resource directly manages three departments: Donor/ Investment Relations; Marketing and Communications; Franchising.
|Date Posted:||29 Jun 2018||Reference:||005|
|Closing Date:||31 Jul 2018||Work Type:||Full Time|
|Number of Vacancies:||1||Gender:||Any|
|Functional Area:||Sales/Marketing||Open Ended:||NO|
|Nationality:||Any||Salary Range:||As per company salary scale|
|Contract Type:||Long-term||Years of Experience:||2 Year(s)|
|Contract Duration:||0 Year(s) & 0 Month(s)||Extension Possibility:||No|
|Probation Period:||3 Months|
Duties and Responsibilities
1) Strategy, Leadership and Product Development (30%)-
- Developing and executing market, alliance and partnership development strategy
- Developing a brand strategy across TechNation
- Identifying and developing TechNation’s unique selling propositions and differentiators
- Creating, maintaining and enhancing business strategies by conducting research to identify market needs, future tech, opportunities, analyze competition, and collaboration
- Playing a key role with TechNation in the strategic planning process, helping the TechNation ensure that there are strong systems in place for communication and that all streams (national, program, fundraising, operations) are working under a single umbrella aligned to our strategic plan
- Planning and executing special projects that are critical to TechNation’s priorities, including analyzing and synthesizing data as necessary
- Serving as a key contact to other teams: fielding questions, coordinating projects, and downloading key information for TechNation
- Thought partnering with TechNation and members of the marketing and communications teams
Facilitating the collaboration and information-sharing between team members
- Regularly assessing and reporting on team wide progress to goals, identify what is driving and impeding progress, and developing solutions to address gaps and adjust course as necessary
- Evaluating operational issues to determine how competitive and current it is with the latest trends in the industry.
- Monitoring external and internal environment for development of new market segments
- Informing key decisions and advising TechNation.
- Developing and inspiring a team to implement the strategy and to achieve objectives and targets
- Ensuring all team members represent TechNation in the best light
- Undertaking training and mentoring to business developers and other staff
- Sitting on the Leadership Team, attending weekly meetings, and full-day stepbacks once every two months
- Operating as a culture leader for the entire team, embodying our core values, collaborating across teams, and mentoring staff members
- Leading TechNation through annual planning, and long-term strategic planning
- Representing our work externally as a leader of TechNation
- Preparing for meetings with leaders across TechNation by preparing agendas, PowerPoint presentations, and accurate data reports
- Understanding and effectively communicating TechNation’s programmatic initiatives, goals, and impact externally and internally
- Participating in selection of incoming team members
- Participating in and complete staff meetings on weekly basis
- Supporting and participating in regional events
- Monitoring and reporting on activities and provide relevant management information
- Helping product management/ engineering teams design and develop products from conception to market
- Helping research and developing new services areas by conducting a market research, online reading about new technologies and trends on local and global levels
- Creating pricing schedules for services and products based on a thorough market/ competitor analysis, and continued revision of the schedule.
2) Business Development, Fundraising, Client and Investor Management (50%)
- Understanding the market, and monitoring the market for information and creative trends (networking with major players, attending industry functions and events, and monitoring industry publications and research)
- Researching and prospecting for new partners, funders, investors to ensure a robust pipeline of engagements within the market
- Building relationships with the decision makers within the client organization; creating partnership packages and incentives
- Dealing with identifying and qualifying business sales opportunities
- Identifying/ mapping partners for TechNation and its programs
- Planning deal approaches and pitches
- Participating in the negotiation of terms and deal closing
- Producing feasibility studies and business plans for TechNation and new and existing product development, programs and projects
- Developing, submitting and negotiating proposals and preparing bid documents in response to RFPs and RFQs (after receiving and analyzing them) to provide industry-specific solutions, and following up;
- Developing the systems and procedures to enable effective execution
- Crafting, evaluating and executing on strategy to achieve TechNation’s annual revenue/sales/funding goals [TBD]
- Analyzing past TechNation performance, current and future revenue/funding needs, and landscape to set ambitious, yet feasible, sales/fundraising and client/donor retention goals
- Cultivating, soliciting, and stewarding a portfolio of current and prospective clients/funders including individual clients, corporate clients, and donors
- Facilitating the President strategic involvement in BD, sales and fundraising efforts that best leverages his time and talent
- Support advisory team’s involvement in sales, partnerships, and fundraising initiatives
- Inspiring the President, its advisory teams, and other senior staff to embrace the BD Manager vision for their unique roles in sales, partnerships and fundraising operation
- Partnering with the President to prepare for and participate in board meetings, partner with board members on sales/fundraising-specific projects or activities, and to communicate with advisory teams as needed
- Overseeing and executing multiple fundraising related events of various scales
- Overseeing the execution of strong external messaging, marketing materials, and communications
- Managing a team of direct reports towards achieving their goals, with an emphasis on strong coaching, development, and leadership
- Analyzing and explore business and market trends and staying updated about new technological developments taking place in the industry
- Planning and leading marketing activities to agreed sales targets, budgets and timescales; Developing marketing campaigns for new products and services-- including print and electronic ads; events highlighting corporate services, public speaking to volunteer organizations and communities. This includes formulating a specific budget and expenditure plan for each
- Providing consultation and information to clients on the best products and services suitable for their needs
- Managing the delivery of products to clients and dealing with the outsourcing
- Maintaining and developing good business relationships with existing and new clients/ investors
- Working with technical staff and other internal colleagues to meet client/investor needs
- Managing investor relationships to ensure ongoing mutual benefit
- Arranging and participating in internal and external client debriefs.
3) Subsidiary/ Branch/ Program Design and Talent Development (15%)
- Support in managing subsidiaries, branches, programs, projects and budgets
- Monitoring, analyzing and forecasting investment targets/progress against targets
- Preparing analytical and performance reports as required for management and other purposes
- Ensuring the efficient and effective administration of data and information relating to business development, sales and marketing
- Preparing, negotiating and managing contracts related to the team, ensuring compliance with strategic objectives, internal policies and legal obligations
- Identifying, monitoring and managing risks related to the team
- Playing a central role in fostering whole communications team culture, professional development and engagement
- Partnering with HR and leadership team to ensure annual talent needs of TechNation are met
- Supporting the President in creating a strong culture plan for the company to ensure strong year over year retention and strength of team
- Strategizing around additional professional development needs that apply to the entire team and that sub-teams aren’t already creating
- Driving own professional development with support from the President and others
- Engaging in community opportunities that have personal meaning/connection
4) Additional Expectations (5%):
- Contributing to the development and continuous improvement of TechNation’s services and products
- Participating in strategy reviews, strategy development, and the operationalization thereof
- Serving cross-functionally in the execution of programs and projects
- Carrying out such other reasonable duties as may be required by the Company.
Travels to Provinces
Require Travels to Provinces
Skills, Competencies, and Traits:
- Business Acumen.
- Strategic Thinking.
- Problem Solving/Analysis.
- Financial Management.
- Customer/Client Focus.
- Communication Proficiency.
- Time Management.
- History of high performance excellence.
- Expert negotiator with wide range of experiences, negotiating complex and unique agreements with clients/suppliers.
- Proven ability to diplomatically engage stakeholders on sensitive topics.
- Ability to guide a diverse team including members from legal, business unit, tax and others throughout business negotiations.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills in English (proficiency in Pashto and Dari would be a plus) with the ability to work in a multicultural environment.
- Excellent interpersonal skills to facilitate communication with clients, partners, entrepreneurs, community leaders, business professionals and partners.
- Capability to develop and maintain strong resources in the area.
- Ability to effectively execute a volume of varying tasks and deadlines.
- Experience with the preparation of comprehensive business plans.
- Experience in marketing, public relations and media relations. Ability to effectively write and speak publicly.
- Experience in small business operations preferred.
- Working knowledge of basic facility management skills and techniques including facility management and administration.
- Understanding of budgeting and cash flow analysis.
- Have the ability and show willingness to coach team members through the deal making process and be a legal liaison for the team.
Training and Education:
- At least five years of experience of working in private sector, preferably in the IT sector
- At least two years of experience of working as business development specialist
- Experience in complex, first of their kinds deals with large and small companies
- Proven track record of building and scaling teams
- Experience in partner management, a track record of influencing change in organizations, and the ability to synthesize and execute against problems and timelines.
- Experience developing, negotiating and signing industry leading deals with market share leaders to deliver value to the ecosystem
- Quantitative and qualitative analytical abilities coupled with knowledge of operating principles
- Project management leadership experience, able to lead multiple time-sensitive, cross-functional projects across a global cross-functional team
- Experience engaging with C-level of any partner organization
- Global work and team management experience
- Fluency in more than one language
- A Bachelor's degree in business administration, communication, economics or any other relevant field. Masters degree preferred.
Afghanistan - Kabul: PROVINCIAL CENTER (KABUL)
AF AF 12
Please, send CVs, along with a cover letter and a writing sample to the following email address. Please, indicate the position title in your email subject.
You must be logged in to see the submission Email (if any).
|More jobs in this category|
|Digital Marketing Officer at Online Trading Academy||Kabul||15 Oct 2018|
|Sales Team Leader at Online Trading Academy||Kabul||15 Oct 2018|
|Sales & Marketing Manager at Online Trading Academy||Kabul||15 Oct 2018|
|Sales Officer at Mohib Towers||Kabul||10 Oct 2018|
|Corporate Sales Officer at UA Telecom||Herat||28 Sep 2018|
|Sales & Relationship Officer at Online Trading Academy||Kabul||15 Oct 2018|
|Sales & Marketing Officer at Abram Global Group of Companies||Kabul||26 Sep 2018|
|Access and Community Engagement Manager – S.. at ACTION CONTRE LA FAIM||Helmand||01 Oct 2018|
|Marketing Officer at Sky Travel and Tours||Herat||30 Sep 2018|
|Tele-sales Assistant at Online Trading Academy||Kabul||15 Oct 2018|
|Marketing Officer at City Media Advertising Company||Kabul||14 Oct 2018|
|Marketing Manager at Moraa Educational Complex||Kabul||31 Oct 2018|
|Marketing Officer at Diamond Press and Design||Kabul||30 Dec 2019|
|Telemarketing Officer at Soholat.com||Kabul||31 Mar 2019|