Senior Legal and Policy Advisor(1153 Views)
About Strategic Grain Reserve Project (SGRP)
Over the last ten years, Afghanistan witnessed two major shortages of supply of locally grown wheat due to sharp decline in local production, and limited supply from traditional export markets in neighboring countries. As a result, many Afghans especially those living in rural and remote area suffered from severe shortage of wheat which is described as a major food intake in the country.
In response to the described challenges, the Government of Afghanistan, represented by the Ministry of Agriculture, Irrigation, and Livestock (MAIL), is planning to establish a Strategic Grain Reserve to be primarily used in responding to such emergency situations, and requested the support from the World Bank in this regard.
The Agriculture Global Practice of the World Bank has created new project “Afghanistan Strategic Grain Reserve” (P160606), to respond to the need of the Government of Afghanistan, and provide support in this regard. The project consists of the following three components: (i) Establish physical infrastructure (grain silos) to reserve grain; (ii) Strengthening institutional capacity to operate the strategic grain reserve; (iii) Establishment of a Project Implementation Unit (PIU) in the short term to be in charge of managing all project activities.
The Senior Legal and Policy Advisor will be in charge of Institutional Infrastructure and Capacity Building component of the SGR project. The primary responsibilities of Senior Legal and Policy Advisor will be to develop and maintain strong communication channels with all stakeholders in the area of legal and policy affairs of the SGR Project. He/she will be accountable for the preparation and processing of SGR Project related legislative, institutional and policy documents, ensuring that there is required consistency with the SGR Project’s overall objectives and mandate. The Senior Legal and Policy Advisor will oversee and participate in designing and conducting analysis of legal and policy documents and give recommendations for project priorities. He/she will be responsible for overall harmonization of the respective inputs, outputs and outcomes of legal and policy activities as well as oversee the implementation of legislative and policy documents related to SGR Project. The Senior Legal and Policy Advisor will report to the Director of Strategic Grain Reserves Project.
|Date Posted:||02 Jul 2018||Reference:||MAIL-016-018|
|Closing Date:||15 Jul 2018||Work Type:||Full Time|
|Number of Vacancies:||1||Gender:||Any|
|Functional Area:||Legal||Open Ended:||NO|
|Nationality:||Any||Salary Range:||As per NTA Salary Scale Policy10000.0|
|Contract Type:||Fixed-term||Years of Experience:||7 Year(s)|
|Contract Duration:||1 Year(s) & 0 Month(s)||Extension Possibility:||Yes|
|Probation Period:||3 Months|
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the guidance and direct supervision of Project Director, perform the following duties and responsibilities.
• Provide legal and policy support to the SGR Project, including but not limited to drafting and processing SGR Project’s required legislative and policy documents, specially wheat procurement, stockpiling and distribution policy as well as SGR charter and relater procedures.
• Develop legal, Institutional, and Policy documents for Strategic, Grain Reserve Corporation.
• Provide support to SGR Project to standardize and harmonize their approaches with the legal system of Islamic Republic of Afghanistan.
• Provide legal advice on legal and policy affairs of the SGR Project in particular establishment of SGR Corporation and disbandment affairs of SGR Enterprise.
• Contact with related technical departments of MAIL and other stakeholders outside the Ministry in terms of SGR Project legal and policy affairs.
• Work with national and international experts of SGR Project on legal and policy gaps and legislative issues of the project and find solutions as well as develop reports in this regard.
• Review the technical documents of SGR Project and ensure the legality of documents prepared.
• Act proactively in national and international coordination meetings on behalf of the SGR Project as a professional legal and policy member of the project.
• Develop communication channels and strong relationships with Ministry of Justice and other related governmental and nongovernmental institutions in order to accelerate the legal, legislative and policy affairs of the SGR Project
• Ensure the prioritization of activities and develop annual work plan for the legal and policy affairs of SGR Project.
• Contribute and provide legal and policy advice in developing SGR Project, strategies and plans where required.
• Supervise legal section and oversee all legal affairs of SGR Project.
• Undertake other duties designated by SGR Project Director.
• Familiarity and extensive knowledge of Afghan legal and policy system, in particular drafting legislative and policy documents.
• Familiarity with structure and legal framework of state-owned corporation.
• Excellent proven command of English, Dari and Pashto languages (writing, speaking and reading).
• Strong knowledge of the ability to use computer programs, specially MS Office, internet explorer and outlook.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• Strong organizational, interpersonal and management skills.
• Ability to work under pressure and work extra hours when required.
The Senior Legal and Policy Advisor must have the following basic qualification and working experience:
• At least Bachelor’s in Law or public policy administration with 7 years’ relevant experience or with a Master’s in relevant field with 5 years of relevant experience preferable.
• Work experience in legal and policy affairs and legal drafting (laws, regulations, procedure, manuals, guidelines, policies, strategies and plans) preferably in agriculture sector and
• Strong working experience with national and international counterparts and experts
Afghanistan - Kabul: PROVINCIAL CENTER (KABUL)
AF AF 12
Bachelors Degree, Legal
• The interested candidates should submit their resume along with a cover letter to Human Resource Directorate of Ministry of Agriculture, Irrigation and Livestock (MAIL) as following Conditions
• Subject line must be Senior Legal and Policy Advisor ( MAIL-016-018) otherwise application will NOT be considered
• No resume will be taken under consideration without having a cover letter, the position title vacancy number in the subject line of the email
• Please note that application received after the closing date will not be considered
|More jobs in this category|
|Legal Advisor at Ministry of Public Works (MoPW) Trans Hindukush Road Con..||Kabul||23 Feb 2019|
|Junior Legal Professional at Rosenstock Legal Services||Kabul||01 Mar 2019|
|Staff Attorney at Youth in Action Consulting Company||Multi Cities||29 May 2019|
|Senior Lawyer at Kakar Advocates LLC||Kabul||31 Dec 2019|