Legal Specialist(1284 Views)
The International Development Law Organization (IDLO) is an inter-governmental development organization with headquarters in Rome and program offices in Kabul and several other provinces in Afghanistan. IDLO fulfils its mandate by providing training, technical assistance, research, and publication to governments, non-governmental organizations (NGOs), local communities, and professional associations in developing countries, countries in economic transition, and countries emerging from armed conflict. The International Development Law Organization (IDLO) enables governments and empowers people to reform laws and strengthen institutions to promote peace, justice, sustainable development and economic opportunity. We contribute to creating stable and inclusive societies where every person can live free from fear and want, in dignity and under the rule of law. IDLO began working in Afghanistan in 2001 and has become a leading partner of Afghan government, donor countries and international agencies to achieve the common goal of strengthening the rule of law. Afghanistan has been an IDLO Member Country since 2012.
In the context of the Supporting Access to Justice in Afghanistan Project (SAJA), the Elimination of Violence Against Women (EVAW) component will provide technical and expert support to the Attorney-General’s Office (AGO) and the Ministry of Women’s Affairs Directorate (DOWA) in select provinces. Reporting to the Legal Specialist, the staff will ensure IDLO’s gender justice work fits within Afghanistan’s legal and social environment. S/he will actively and regularly engage with members of the Gender Justice Department from remote provinces, government and non-governmental partners, and other stakeholders to collaboratively carry out his/her responsibilities.
|Date Posted:||08 Jul 2018||Reference:||IDLO/SAJA/16/2018|
|Closing Date:||19 Jul 2018||Work Type:||Full Time|
|Number of Vacancies:||2||Gender:||Any|
|Functional Area:||Legal||Open Ended:||NO|
|Nationality:||Afghan||Salary Range:||As per company salary scale|
|Contract Type:||Long-term||Years of Experience:||6 Year(s)|
|Contract Duration:||1 Year(s) & 0 Month(s)||Extension Possibility:||Yes|
|Probation Period:||6 Months|
Duties and Responsibilities
Key results expected:
1. Training and Mentoring
• Build legal and management capacities of the staff in the Attorney General’s Office from remote provinces, through training and frequent mentoring sessions;
• Deliver trainings in accordance with IDLO’s training methodology and adult learning principles and other awareness-raising activities with government institutions and undertake assessments and other program-related services;
• Review existing legal and management training materials and develop new ones;
• Lead and ensure that all trainings are planned, organized, conducted, and closed-out according to IDLO’s policies and procedures.
• Contribute to identification of technical support and training needs;
• Provide post-training mentoring sessions with select trainees based on the EVAW Component’s mentoring procedures;
• Provide case specific legal and related advice and mentoring;
2. Legal Advisory
• Liaise with and support the government institutions in the select provinces to enhance the cooperation between the team and the government institutions to increase the capacities to address violence against women cases;
• Provide expert input and guidance on the county’s law and procedure, especially on legal approaches to prosecuting and raising awareness about violence against women;
• Propose and assist in the implementation of legal strategies with partners and stakeholders to combat violence against women crimes that will complement the work of the team and government institutions;
• Carry out research and monitoring of legislation concerning the Law on the Elimination of Violence Against Women (LEVAW) and related laws;
3. Management and Reporting
• Develop written weekly and quarterly reports of activities;
• Develop monthly progress on work plan implementation as well as other reports or information requested;
• Manage the team by providing clear guidance, addressing development and learning, and implementing performance management through ongoing dialogue, feedback, and coaching;
• Motivate and support team with a view to fostering a teamwork approach in meeting objectives and goals; address possible conflicts in a positive and constructive manner;
• Encourage initiative and maintain effective working relationships within the country’s cultural context.
• Perform any other relevant duties as requested by the supervisor.
Travels to Provinces
Require Travels to Provinces
• Experience in capacity building and application of adult learning principles in a training/capacity development environment;
• Good analytical skills & basic knowledge in entering data into the AGO EVAW databases.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Good knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint. Proficient use of IT software and the internet.
• Proven ability to see through tasks set and deliver results.
• Ability to work under pressure with tight deadlines, flexibility and an entrepreneurial spirit.
• Ability and willingness to travel within Afghanistan
• Keen sense of ethics, integrity, and commitment to IDLO’s mandate.
• Advanced university degree in Shari’a Law or LLB degree. LLM would be an asset.
• Professional experience as a legal practitioner in criminal law as either a judge, prosecutor or lawyer, or a similar position within an Afghan justice system agency, NGO, or international organization.
• Fluency in English, Pashto, and Dari is required, knowledge of Arabic would be an advantage.
Afghanistan - Kabul
AF AF 12
Bachelors Degree, Law
Please submit your CV to the email provided and indicate clearly in the subject of your e-mail the position (Legal Specialist) and the Vacancy number (IDLO/SAJA/16/2018) you are applying. Please read the vacancy and make sure your experience and qualification meet the above criteria and if any application does not meet the requirements will not be considered.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for Test/Interview!
|More jobs in this category|
|Office of The Professional Deputy Minister of.. at Tetra Tech - JSSP||Kabul||22 Nov 2018|
|Criminal Law Reform Working Group Advisor at Tetra Tech - JSSP||Kabul||22 Nov 2018|
|Office of the Minister of Justice at Tetra Tech - JSSP||Kabul||22 Nov 2018|
|Head of LARP Supporting Unit (Re-announce) at DABS||Kabul||16 Nov 2018|
|Staff Attorney at Youth in Action Consulting Company||Multi Cities||29 Nov 2018|