Hatchery Consultant(14037 Views)
Comprehensive Agriculture and Rural Development – Facility (CARD-F) is an Agriculture Development Programme which aims to increase employment, income and business opportunities primarily targeting rural masses through the design, facilitation and implementation of commercially viable value chains supplemented with rural infrastructure projects in the target provinces of Afghanistan. CARD-F provides needs-based services and support to create and sustain licit businesses in rural communities by providing alternative livelihood opportunities. As a model of cross-ministry collaboration, CARD-F works under the patronage of an Inter-Ministerial Committee (IMC) that consists of the Ministry of Agriculture and Livestock, the Ministry of Rural Rehabilitation and Development, the Ministry of Counter Narcotics and the Ministry of Finance. The IMC is led by the Ministry of Counter Narcotics.
Funded by the British and Danish government, CARD-F seeks to diminish poppy cultivation and empowers rural communities and strengthens their economic standing through Economic Development Packages (EDP), especially customized packages to support critical value chains, identify bottlenecks and provide solutions. EDPs are implemented through implementing partners and direct implementation unit of CARD-F. The Facility supports development of agricultural growth opportunities and complementary investments such as infrastructure, processing and marketing.
Information about the Assignment:
CARD-F has supported the establishment of breeders and hatchery farms in various major provinces of Afghanistan by stimulating private sector investment where private investors have taken the lead to venture in this sector. In total, CARD-F has implemented the establishment of 12 breeder farms with matching capacities of Hatching. While CARD-F seeks to support the breeding front, it has also envisaged supporting the Hatching component by transferring technical and soft skills to target entrepreneurs and their technical staff in order to achieve max breeding and hatchability.
Currently most of the breeders and hatching facilities are non-functional due to numerous reasons. CARD-F has realized that part of the problem lies; lacking the capacity and know-how to operate hatching facilities effectively therefore CARD-F has planned to extend its soft and technical support to these target hatching facilities by deploying experts for short term (Maximum 61 working days) to provide theoretical training, on-job training, oversight technical support by overseeing the practices, guiding them by developing management tools, conducting trails and equip them with overall management skills and techniques so that these entrepreneurs operate at maximum capacity with higher hatchability and lower cost which will result into profitability.
|Date Posted:||08 Jul 2018||Reference:||CARD-F-KBL-17-18|
|Closing Date:||21 Jul 2018||Work Type:||Full Time|
|Number of Vacancies:||1||Gender:||Any|
|Functional Area:||Agriculture||Open Ended:||NO|
|Nationality:||Any||Salary Range:||As per company salary scale|
|Contract Type:||Consultant||Years of Experience:||7 Year(s)|
|Contract Duration:||0 Year(s) & 0 Month(s)||Extension Possibility:||No|
Duties and Responsibilities
Duties and Responsibilities:
This is a short-term (max one month) assignment and deployment is largely in presence at sites (Kabul, Nangarhar, Herat, Takhar, Balkh and Khost of Afghanistan). The following terms of references are expected to be delivered;
- The Hatching and Breeding expert is responsible to train the Hatchery workers/farmers in hatchery management in order to ensure cost competitive production, high hatchability, disease free baby Day Old Chicks (DoC) and avoid man-made deformities in the DoC
- Responsible to train the hatchery/workers in all aspects of hatchery management from eggs grading, selection, storage, transportation, egg transfer, egg candling till hatching
- Train the hatchery supervisors in maintaining of high standard of bio security and soft measures
- Responsible for carrying out of hatchery production and bio-security trails and tests
- Deliver technical training to hatchery supervisors/managers as needed to control the trouble shooting
- Responsible to train the hatchery workers/supervisors in hatchery day to day management, production performance, and record keeping; and assist staff on developing record keeping checklists and guides for smooth operations
- Train hatchery supervisor in control of trouble shooting, post hatched un-hatched eggs and guide the workers to avoid repetition of manmade error
The total list of Target Hatcheries with its beneficiaries is given in table below:
S.No Provinces Target Hatcheries Expected Trainees/Audience for Practical Trainings at sites
1 Nangarhar 5 Hatcheries Entrepreneurs/Investors, Technical Staff and Farmers/workers (Maximum 10-12 Trainees for all Hatcheries)
2 Kabul 2 Hatcheries Entrepreneurs/Investors, Technical Staff and Farmers/workers (Maximum 5 Trainees)
3 Takhar 1 Hatchery Entrepreneurs/Investors, Technical Staff and Farmers/workers (Maximum 2-3 Trainees)
4 Herat 1 Hatchery Entrepreneurs/Investors, Technical Staff and Farmers/workers (Maximum 2-3 Trainees)
5 Balkh 1 Hatchery Entrepreneurs/Investors, Technical Staff and Farmers/workers (Maximum 2-3 Trainees)
6 Khost 1 Hatchery Entrepreneurs/Investors, Technical Staff and Farmers/workers (Maximum 2-3 Trainees)
The incumbent must produce the following output for this assignment.
• Trained Entrepreneur and his/her staff on Breeding and Hatching, Incubation and hatching management and supervision
• Technical and Management Staff of Hatchery trained on biosecurity management
• Assisted Entrepreneurs and his/her staff to identify and control common and specific diseases in breeding and hatching
• Trails and Tests conducted to practically train staff on Breeding and Hatching management particularly assess the un-hatched eggs
• Checklist and Manual/Guides developed for operations
• A report briefing CARD-F on the assignment delivery and recommendations to both CARD-F and Entrepreneur
• Please mention the daily fees that you wish to charge for the assignment. Please ensure the quoted fees is inclusive of all costs but not limited to traveling, food, VISA, residence etc.
• Timing of initiating the assignment is important, therefore, the incumbent is required to mention the earliest possible date that he/she is able to start the assignment
• CARD-F Grantee or his/her designated staff, CARD-F Programme Development Director/ Deputy Program Development Director and/or Senior Poultry Specialist
- Conduct an intensive theoretical training for about 6 days in Kabul and/or Nangarhar for all target audience/entrepreneurs including some key staff of CARD-F as a cluster
- Maximum 5 working days for each Hatchery (4 days one site and one day for drafting brief report and debriefing on assignment)
- The training may be given by one expert or group of experts at the same time; targeting each Hatchery farm at a time traveling to all target sites
- The schedule maybe proposed by the consultant/consultancy however the overall delivery of this entire assignment is expected to be Mid October 2018 and shall not exceed the timeline
- A maximum number of working days required to deliver this assignment is 61 days (6 days for intensive theoretical training in Kabul and/or Jalalabad for entire cluster, 5 days technical on-job training plus support per Hatchery X 11 sites = 55 days); this may be reduced if some sites could be clustered like Hatchery Facilities in Jalalabad.
Travels to Provinces
Require Travels to Provinces
- Education and General Experience:
• Master’s degree in Poultry Management, Hatchery Managemenet/ Installation, Animal Husbandary or Livestock with 5 years of experience with reputable agencies/suppliers like Chick Master, Pas-Reform, Agro-Tech, Cobb and Hobbard and the likes and/or
• Bachelor Degree in Poultry Management, Hatchery Managemenet/ Installation , Animal Husbandary or Livestock with 7 Years of Practical experience with reputable agencies/suppliers like Chick Master, Pas-Reform, Agro-Tech, Cobb and Hobbard and the likes and/or
• High School Degree with more than 15 years of demonstrated experience with reputable agencies/suppliers like like Chick Master, Pas-Reform, Agro-Tech, Cobb and Hobbard and the likes on Poultry Management, Hatchery Managemenet/ Installation, Animal Husbandary or Livestock related assignments
- Demonstrated Specific Experience:
• Demonstrated expereience with evidence is required on breeding management, Incubation and Hatching, biosecurity and training technical staff on poultry breeding, Incubation, Hatching, diseases and quality control
Note: Only applicants who meet these requirements will be considered.
Afghanistan - Balkh: PROVINCIAL CENTER (MAZAR SHARIF)
AF AF 12
Bachelors Degree, Agriculture
Please read the submission steps in order to have a successful application.
• You should apply through job application portal by clicking the below link.
• If the above link does not open on click then please copy and paste the URL into web browser address bar.
• Please specify the vacancy number as ‘CARD-F-KBL-17-18’
• Once you complete the job application portal form you will be able to attach your CV and one page cover letter.
• Please do not attach any other documents.
1. Applications received after the deadline will not be considered.
2. Only short listed candidates will be contacted.
|More jobs in this category|
|Regional Animal Production Officer at MAIL/NHLP||Multi Cities||29 Sep 2018|
|Provincial Coordinator at MAIL/NHLP||Farah||29 Sep 2018|
|Regional Orchard Management Officer at MAIL/NHLP||Herat||25 Sep 2018|
|Provincial Livestock Officer at MAIL/NHLP||Multi Cities||25 Sep 2018|
|National Quarantine Plant Entomologist at MAIL/AAIP||Nangarhar||25 Sep 2018|