Radio Producer(802 Views)
About BBC Media Action
BBC Media Action
BBC Media Action uses media and communications to reduce poverty and promote human rights in developing countries. To achieve this, we partner with civil society, local media and governments to: strengthen the media sector through building professional capacity, and produce creative media outputs which inform and engage audiences around key development issues.
BBC Media Action has been working in Afghanistan for over 20 years, delivering media and communications projects and currently producing a weekly magazine factual entertainment series called ‘Ghamai’. Based around polio, children’s health and vaccination, this presenter led, studio based show has a variety of inputs including special features, debated, real stories from real people and a popular drama section.
Overall Purpose of the Job
Reporting to the Editor, the Producer will work across our various aspects of the 30 minute shows, from developing new and engaging ways to help people protect their children from polio, to interviewing medical experts to making location based features in rural locations. He/she will be responsible for programme research, identifying new stories lines, finding interesting and knowable guests, producing creative radio packages, scripting, recording on location and in the studio, audio mixing of programmes and supporting re-versioning programme content for social media platforms.
The Producer may also be responsible for identifying local and global issues and stories relevant to polio and health. The role requires a person who understands BBC editorial standards, and how to implement them in programming output. He/she will line manage a small team of assistant producers and reporters.
|Date Posted:||12 Jul 2018||Reference:||VA 31/2018|
|Closing Date:||20 Jul 2018||Work Type:||Full Time|
|Number of Vacancies:||1||Gender:||Any|
|Functional Area:||Media||Open Ended:||NO|
|Nationality:||Afghan||Salary Range:||As per company salary scale|
|Contract Type:||Fixed-term||Years of Experience:||3 Year(s)|
|Contract Duration:||0 Year(s) & 3 Month(s)||Extension Possibility:||Yes|
|Probation Period:||2 Months|
Duties and Responsibilities
Main duties and responsibilities
• Work closely with the editor and Head of Production
• Research programme ideas and deliver clear research briefs.
• Identify and recruit interviewee and guests to appear on programmes.
• Offer creative and innovative ideas on programme content and devise innovative ways to engage with the target audiences.
• Produce, script and edit radio packages.
• Forward planning of programmes and allocating resources accordingly.
• Studio producing of radio and social media programmes.
• Audio editing of programmes and ensure that programmes are of the highest technical quality.
• Working on location and studio
• Co-ordinate with internal departments to ensure that production outputs draw on research findings and meet project objectives.
• Ensure that programmes are produced within BBC Media Action editorial and production guidelines.
• Ensure all programme activities are carried out within BBC Media Action’s Health and Safety guidelines.
• Perform other duties as requested by the Editor and Head of Production and liaise with other internal teams.
Travels to Provinces
Require Travels to Provinces
Essential skills and experience
• Experience working in Afghanistan as a radio producer on factual entertainment, current affairs and/or social programmes.
• An excellent knowledge of political and social developments in Afghanistan.
• Fluency in written and spoken Pashto and Dari
• Excellent written and spoken English
• Excellent skills in scripting and editing audio content to high editorial standards.
• Proven experience in exercising editorial responsibility in a media role.
• Excellent technical skills include using Adobe Audition
• Experience of storytelling: an ability to appreciate the importance of audio in communicating and telling stories
• A good awareness of and daily engagement with social media
• Good presentation skills.
• Strong planning and organizing skills.
• Excellent communication and teamwork skills.
• Clear understanding of the aims and values of BBC Media Action and an awareness of the development goals of our programming.
The following competencies (behaviours and characteristics) have been identified as key to success in the job. Successful candidates are expected to demonstrate these competencies.
• Editorial Judgement – demonstrates balanced and objective judgement based on a thorough understanding of editorial guidelines, target audience, programme and department objectives. Makes the right editorial decisions, taking account of conflicting views where necessary.
• Planning and organisation - able to think ahead to establish and efficient and appropriate course of action for self and others. Prioritises and plans activities considering all the relevant issues and factors such as deadlines, staffing and resources.
• Influencing and persuading - able to present sound and well-reasoned arguments to convince others. Can draw from a range of strategies to persuade people in a way that results in agreement or behaviour change.
• Communication - able to get one’s message understood clearly by adopting a range of styles, tools and techniques appropriate to the audience and the nature of the information.
• Managing relationships and team working - able to build and maintain effective working relationships with a range of people. Works co-operatively with others to be part of a team, as opposed to working separately or competitively.
• Creative Thinking – Can transform creative ideas/impulses into practical reality. Can look at existing situations and problems in novel ways and come up with creative solutions.
• Resilience - manages personal effectiveness by managing emotions in the face of pressure, setbacks or when dealing with provocative situations. Demonstrates an approach to work that is characterised by commitment, motivation and energy.
• Flexibility - adapts and works effectively with a variety of situations, individuals or groups. Able to understand and appreciate different and opposing perspectives on an issue, to adapt an approach as the requirements of a situation change, and to change or easily accept changes in one’s own organisation or job requirements.
Afghanistan - Kabul: PROVINCIAL CENTER (KABUL)
Bachelors Degree, Media
Interested qualified female or male Afghan national’s candidates should submit their CV with cover letter explaining their interest and suitability for the post to:
Please remember to mention the position title in the subject line of your e-mails.
Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply for this role.
The applications may not be accepted later than 20 July 2018.
|More jobs in this category|
|Pashto Presenter (Female) at MOBY Group||Kabul||13 Oct 2018|