Regional Cooperation Expert/ Consultant(1161 Views)
About The Asia Foundation
The Asia Foundation (the Foundation) is a non-profit, non-governmental organization committed to the development of a peaceful, prosperous, just, and open Asia-Pacific region. Drawing on 60 years of experience, the Foundation supports initiatives to improve governance, law and civil society; women's empowerment; economic reform and development; sustainable development and the environment; and international relations. The Asia Foundation has offices in 18 countries throughout Asia and is headquartered in San Francisco. In Afghanistan, the Foundation supports four primary themes: Governance and Law, Women’s Empowerment, Education, and Survey/Research and Knowledge Development.
Position Title: Regional Cooperation Expert/ Consultant
Contract Duration: 4-month initial contract, subject to renewal and 1 months’ probation
Duty Station: Regional Cooperation Directorate, Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MoFA), Afghanistan
Salary: As per NTA salary scale
Number of Posts: Two
Submission Deadline: August 25, 2018
An experienced expert/consultant on regional cooperation is required to join the Regional Cooperation Directorate (RCD) within the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MoFA) of Government of Afghanistan (GoA) as part of the “Promoting Regional Cooperation Capacity in Ministry of Foreign Affairs PRCC-MoFA” phase II project. The Asia Foundation is implementing the two-year project with the Delegation of the European Union funding and in close coordination with MoFA. The Expert is expected to join the project by September 2018 or as early as possible thereafter. The initial contract will be for 4 months with the prospect of extension.
PRCC-MoFA phase II project will build the capacity of the Regional Cooperation Directorate (RCD) within MoFA to enable it to lead the country’s efforts in promoting regional cooperation and illuminate avenues for securing donor support towards promoting regional cooperation. The project will focus particularly on strengthening the RCD’s capacity to support MoFA’s efforts in leading the Istanbul Process, and in implementation and follow-up of the Confidence Building Measures (CBMs) agreed between all 14 Heart of Asia Countries at the Istanbul Conference in 2011. The project will also build the capacity of the RCD to engage and coordinate with regional organizations and trilateral and quadrilateral entities in an effective and professional way.
The Istanbul Process is an unprecedented initiative that has placed Afghanistan at the center of the regional cooperation agenda as Afghanistan has been given the leading role for implementation and coordination on all CBMs. The Government of Afghanistan (GoA) recognizes also the importance of working with all existing initiatives and fora at the regional level. It was in pursuit of its vision of effective, mutually beneficial regional cooperation that over the past few years Afghanistan has acceded to the South Asian Association for Regional Cooperation (SAARC) in 2007, and to the Cross-Border Transit Agreement under the framework of the Central Asian Regional Economic Cooperation (CAREC) in 2011, as well as renewed and deepened its relationship with other regional organizations, including the Organization of Islamic Cooperation (OIC), the Economic Cooperation Organization (ECO), the Shanghai Cooperation Organization (SCO), the Conference on Interaction and Confidence-building in Asia (CICA), and others. The recent decision by the SCO to accord an observer member status to Afghanistan was a positive development in the context of Afghanistan’s effort to expand its regional links through regional organizations. This effort is complemented by a number of trilateral and quadrilateral initiatives involving, in most cases, Afghanistan’s immediate and extended neighbors. These provide an appropriate platform for discussing issues of specific concern to Afghanistan and the countries concerned.
Tasks of the Regional Co-operation Consultant
The Regional Cooperation Expert/Consultant will report directly to the leadership of the Regional Cooperation Directorate of the MoFA and also report to the Asia Foundation. The Regional Co-operation Expert/ consultant will provide advice, support, guidance, coaching, mentoring and training to the staff of the Regional Cooperation Directorate (RCD) as required and in close coordination with the Director General Regional Cooperation Directorate and PRCC-MoFA Project team lead. The specific tasks to be carried are including but not limited to the following:
|Date Posted:||08 Aug 2018||Reference:||VA# 29/2018|
|Closing Date:||25 Aug 2018||Work Type:||Full Time|
|Number of Vacancies:||1||Gender:||Any|
|Functional Area:||General||Open Ended:||NO|
|Nationality:||Afghan||Salary Range:||As per NTA Salary Scale Policy10000.0|
|Contract Type:||Consultant||Years of Experience:||0 Year(s)|
|Contract Duration:||0 Year(s) & 4 Month(s)||Extension Possibility:||Yes|
|Probation Period:||1 Month|
Duties and Responsibilities
1. Contribute to the development of the strategic direction for the Heart of Asia – Istanbul Process and regional organizations that Afghanistan is a member with;
2. Lead the development of strategic plan(s) for implementation of the CBMs, including reviewing the existing implementation plans and specifying regional priorities;
3. Analyzing the hindrance factors for the project(s) related to regional organizations and trilateral and quadrilateral entities and providing recommendations;
4. Mentor staff in writing relevant documents (declarations, statements, reports, speeches etc);
5. Participate and contribute to discussions that support the regional process’s strategic goals and objectives;
6. Write analysis and support the Director General to follow up the regional organizations’ and trilateral and quadrilateral entities’ activities;
7. Develop a lobbying plan;
8. Contribute to the Regional Cooperation Directorate section of MoFA website;
9. Developed a plan for enhancing various elements of the regional organizations and trilateral and quadrilateral entities;
10. Work with the DG and DDG’s on regional cooperation policies;
11. Analyze synergy between the regional organizations, Istanbul Process and trilateral and quadrilateral entities;
12. Draw a strategic vision and action plan for promoting existing trilateral and quadrilaterals;
13. Write relevant pieces/articles to promote regional cooperation;
14. Provide written and systematic capacity and institutional development advice to RCD and Asia Foundation;
15. Assist PRCC-MoFA project Program Manager to facilitate and implement project activities and priorities;
16. Collect record and classify all international and regional conventions, treaties and other documents relevant to the region as required;
17. Assist the Foundation in identifying and hiring international experts from SAARC, ECO and various other relevant agencies to conduct trainings and provide specialized support to the RCD’s activities;
18. In consultations with RCD DG, assist with all necessary preparations for events and meetings of Regional Organizations with which Afghanistan is a member;
19. Assist with research activities and RCD database development process as required;
20. Assist in widening the scope of the RCD to include other regional and sub-regional multilateral organizations;
21. In addition, specific deliverable will be given to achieve in exact time period
22. Perform any other duties as required.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
1. Extensive experience in diplomacy particularly in a multilateral context
2. Extensive knowledge of political, economic and social status of the Heart of Asia region and the existing political dynamics between them
3. Good knowledge of landlocked countries’ trade and transit issues and the challenges they are facing
4. Experience in negotiation and lobbying is required
5. Strong team working skills and ability to work under pressure and in government institutions and bureaucratic environments.
6. Willing to mentor and couch inexperienced government officials and experience in capacity building programs.
7. Experience of working in and visiting countries in the region.
8. Good understanding of bilateral and multilateral economic, political, trade and transit aspects of regional cooperation.
9. Experience of working with international and regional organizations.
10. Relevant postgraduate qualifications
11. Excellent writing and analysis skills
12. Proficiency in high level writing in English is a must.
Holding a master’s degree is required
Afghanistan - Kabul
AF AF 12
Qualified applicants should submit a copy of their CV accompanied by a detailed cover letter, writing sample, contact details and completed Biodata 1420 form, no later than August 25, 2018 to submission email. Applications without a completed Biodata 1420 form (Attached File), writing sample, or cover letter will be automatically disqualified. Please clearly indicate the position applied for in the subject line. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Shortlisted candidates will be evaluated on the quality of translation from English to Dari and Pashto.
Candidates that do not meet the essential qualifications and experience will not be shortlisted. Kindly do not send random unrelated CVs.
|More jobs in this category|
|Senior Advisor to the Deputy Minister of Fina.. at Ministry of Public Hea..||Kabul||26 Feb 2019|
|Intern at Control Union Inspections Ltd.||Kabul||20 Feb 2019|
|Finance Consultant / Kapisa at Ministry of Public Health||Kapisa||24 Feb 2019|
|Head of External Relations Department at Directorate of Mine Action Coord..||Kabul||21 Feb 2019|
|Gender and Diversity Mainstreaming Officer at Directorate of Mine Action ..||Kabul||21 Feb 2019|
|عضو مسلکی امریت نورم و ست.. at ATRA||Kabul||25 Feb 2019|
|Scholarship for Afghan Females at Advanced Business Consulting (ABC)||Kabul||20 Feb 2019|
|Head Cook - سرآشپز at Lampaka Food Services||Kabul||28 Feb 2019|