National Quarantine Plant Entomologist(589 Views)
Building on the Agriculture Master Plan, the Government of the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan (GoA) in collaboration with its development partners has defined a number of appropriate priorities for agricultural investments and policies under the National Agricultural Development Framework (NADF). In order to increase farmers' incomes and improve the food security situation, the GoA is giving foremost attention to strengthen the agricultural production base. In this respect the government has asked the World Bank for assistance in strengthening agricultural input supply systems. Specifically, the GoA is implementing Afghanistan Agriculture Inputs Project with funding support by the World Bank under ARTF funding mechanism. AAIP consists of the following four components: (i) Improve seed production and certification; (ii) Establish infrastructure and policies regarding quality control and safe use of fertilizers and agrochemicals; (iii) Improve input delivery systems; and (iv) Establish efficient project management, implementation and coordination mechanisms.
The development objective of AAIP project is strengthened institutional capacity for safety and reliability of agricultural inputs and sustainable production of certified wheat seed.
Will work under direct supervision of National plant protection coordinator and in close coordination with MAIL – PPQD Director, and will support MAIL in follow- up of Plant Protection and Quarantine Act rules and regulations, with consideration of International standards under the WTO-SPS agreement in export and import of plant and plant products.
|Date Posted:||12 Sep 2018||Reference:||MAIL/057/018|
|Closing Date:||25 Sep 2018||Work Type:||Full Time|
|Number of Vacancies:||1||Gender:||Any|
|Functional Area:||Agriculture||Open Ended:||NO|
|Nationality:||Any||Salary Range:||As per NTA Salary Scale Policy|
|Contract Type:||Fixed-term||Years of Experience:||5 Year(s)|
|Contract Duration:||1 Year(s) & 0 Month(s)||Extension Possibility:||Yes|
|Probation Period:||3 Months|
Duties and Responsibilities
• Together with PPQD staff verifies the perfectness of accompanying documents with any plant / plant products’ consignment.
• Together with PPQD/PQS critical examine the Plant and Plant samples for presence of any quarantine Pests and diseases using appropriate equipment including Soft X – Ray and microscope.
• Destroy / resist entry of the faulty consignments and / or if applicable put in quarantine area for disinfestations / disinfection and perform disinfestations / disinfection treatment.
• Examine the samples from export consignment for pest and disease free.
• Facilitate the export processes at an international standard.
• Together with PPQD/ PQS Hq, issue Phytosanitary certificate for proper consignments.
• In case of faulty consignment, be able to suggest appropriate measures and render such services, and if possible issue Phytosanitary certificate.
• Maintain records of all inspections including particulars of import and export consignments along with their quarantine status.
• Assist the National coordinator and PPQD to ensure the proper implementation of Pesticides Act and Regulations for pesticides registration and quality control, and Plant Quarantine Act and Regulations to comply with the IPPC, SPS and WTO obligations.
• Any other task assign by (AAIP) Project director or Coordinator.
Travels to Provinces
Require Travels to Provinces
• Familiarity with the rules and regulation of Quarantine of Afghanistan
• Good knowledge of International Quarantine standards of agriculture produces
• Expertise in diagnosis of plant pest
• Good knowledge of computer (MS Word, MS Excel and MS Power point)
• Proficient in English, Pashto and Dari, in speaking, reading and writing
• Willing to work in difficult and challenging circumstances
• Knowledge of suitable Quarantine treatment for false consignment
Master Degree in Plant Pathology/ Plant Protection with minimum of 3 years working experience in the area diagnosis of plant diseases or in identification of plant pest will be preferred. or :
B.Sc in Plant Pathology/ Plant Protection with minimum of 5years working experience in the aforementioned area is require
Afghanistan - Nangarhar: Jalalabad
• The interested candidates should submit their resumes along with a cover letter to Human Resource Directorate of Ministry of Agriculture, Irrigation and Livestock (MAIL) as following Conditions
• Subject line must be National Quarantine Plant Entomologist (MAIL-057-018) otherwise application will NOT be considered
• No resume will be taken under consideration without having a cover letter, the position title vacancy number in the subject line of the email
• Please note that application received after the closing date will not be considered
Note: The Ministry of Agriculture, Irrigation and Livestock (MAIL) is an equal opportunity employer which encourages male and female candidates to apply for vacant positions.
Only short-listed candidates whose applications respond to the above criteria will be contacted.
|More jobs in this category|
|Regional Animal Production Officer at MAIL/NHLP||Multi Cities||29 Sep 2018|
|Provincial Coordinator at MAIL/NHLP||Farah||29 Sep 2018|
|Regional Orchard Management Officer at MAIL/NHLP||Herat||25 Sep 2018|
|Provincial Livestock Officer at MAIL/NHLP||Multi Cities||25 Sep 2018|
|National Quarantine Plant Pathologist at MAIL/AAIP||Kunduz||21 Sep 2018|
|Horticulture Specialist at GreenTech Dunia Consulting||Multi Cities||20 Sep 2018|
|Monitoring and Evaluation Specialist at GreenTech Dunia Consulting||Multi Cities||20 Sep 2018|
|Procurement and Grants Contract Supervision S.. at GreenTech Dunia Consul..||Multi Cities||20 Sep 2018|
|Deputy Team Leader/Value Chain Specialist at GreenTech Dunia Consulting||Multi Cities||20 Sep 2018|