Regional Orchard Management Officer(898 Views)
The National Horticulture and Livestock Project (NHLP) have three components: (1) Horticultural Production, (2) Animal Production and Health, and (3) Implementation Management and Technical Assistance Support.
The NHLP objective is to promote the adoption of improved farm production practices via a gradual rollout of farmer-centered agricultural services mechanisms and investment support. Service delivery centered on farmers is expected to increase their involvement in identifying the services they need and in delivering more cost-effective services.
NHLP will contribute to increasing (a) horticultural productivity and production and (b) improved animal production and health. For livestock raisers, this strategy is based on (i) strengthening the delivery of animal production and animal health extension at small-holder level, supported with some investment support for production and health inputs, and (ii) investment in a sustainable broad-scale, livestock disease surveillance and response capability. NHLP will also develop policies for the livestock sector, specifically animal production through trials involving (i) backyard and commercial poultry, (ii) fish farming, (iii) Dairy and small ruminant production and (iv) Bee Keeping practices.
Under the direct supervision of the Regional Coordinator and overall supervision of the Senior Orchard Management Specialist, the Orchard Management Specialist will do the following;
|Date Posted:||12 Sep 2018||Reference:||MAIL/059/018|
|Closing Date:||25 Sep 2018||Work Type:||Full Time|
|Number of Vacancies:||1||Gender:||Male|
|Functional Area:||Agriculture||Open Ended:||NO|
|Nationality:||Afghan||Salary Range:||As per NTA Salary Scale Policy10000.0|
|Contract Type:||Fixed-term||Years of Experience:||4 Year(s)|
|Contract Duration:||1 Year(s) & 0 Month(s)||Extension Possibility:||Yes|
|Probation Period:||3 Months|
Duties and Responsibilities
• Provide the field support to ensure the technical programs of NHLP are implemented according to agreed plans and timelines;
• In conjunction with the Regional Coordinator, provide technical advice to Extension staff on orchard management activities, including pruning, nutrition, soil management, Dry land horticulture, IPM and other orchard activities;
• In collaboration with other technical components, ensure the integration of the various technical programs into a single ‘orchard management system’ suited to the prevailing crops and conditions in Afghanistan;
• Provide training and extension support to Extension Workers and Farmer Trainers under the Farmer Field School model including dry land and IPM.
• This position is strongly focused on field work, and it is expected the Orchard Management Officers will be pending at least 15 working days per month in the field to supervise and control IPM, Dry land and other orchard activities.
Travels to Provinces
Require Travels to Provinces
• Proven recent experience in orchard management methods in Afghanistan
• Experience in sustainable orchard management including dry land and IPM also orchards and vineyards planted with temperate / sub-tropical crops like Almonds Apricots, Apples, Pomegranate, Grapes, etc..
• Familiar with water flow computing techniques, field water measurement and soil moisture characteristics
• Fluency in local languages,
• Proven communication, translation and reporting skills in English Language – well familiar with Microsoft programs and internet
• Capacity enhancement skills – teaching experience using the Farmer Field School methodology will be an asset
• Willingness to travel frequently to project areas.
A Bachelor degree in Horticulture / Agriculture or related discipline from recognized university with 4 years of relevant experience in Orchard Management.
Afghanistan - Herat: PROVINCIAL CENTER (HERAT)
AF AF 12
Bachelors Degree, Agriculture
• The interested candidates should submit their resumes along with a cover letter to Human Resource Directorate of Ministry of Agriculture, Irrigation and Livestock (MAIL) as following Conditions
• Subject line must be Regional Orchard Management Officer (MAIL-059-018) otherwise application will NOT be considered
• No resume will be taken under consideration without having a cover letter, the position title vacancy number in the subject line of the email
• Please note that application received after the closing date will not be considered
Note: The Ministry of Agriculture, Irrigation and Livestock (MAIL) is an equal opportunity employer which encourages male and female candidates to apply for vacant positions.
Only short-listed candidates whose applications respond to the above criteria will be contacted.
|More jobs in this category|
|Horticulture Trainer at The Liaison Office||Multi Cities||21 Jan 2019|
|Driver at MAIL/OFWMP||Nangarhar||19 Jan 2019|
|Agronomist at MAIL/OFWMP||Herat||19 Jan 2019|
|Water Management Specialist at MAIL/OFWMP||Herat||19 Jan 2019|
|Social Organizer (NRM) at DACAAR||Nangarhar||21 Jan 2019|
|Agribusiness Development Specialist at MAIL/HVCDSP||Kabul||21 Jan 2019|
|Horticulture Development Specialist at MAIL/HVCDSP||Kabul||21 Jan 2019|
|Resource Management Advisor at Ministry of Agriculture Irrigation and liv..||Kabul||20 Jan 2019|
|Exhibition Management Specialist at Ministry of Agriculture Irrigation an..||Kabul||20 Jan 2019|