GIS and Research Officer(2152 Views)
The United Nations Human Settlements Programme, UN-Habitat, is the United Nations agency for human settlements. It is mandated by the UN General Assembly to promote socially and environmentally sustainable communities, towns and cities with the goal of providing adequate shelter for all. The main documents outlining the mandate of the organization are the Vancouver Declaration on Human Settlements, Habitat Agenda, Istanbul Declaration on Human Settlements, the Declaration on Cities and Other Human Settlements in the New Millennium, and Resolution 56/206.
By working at all levels and with relevant stakeholders and partners, the agency contributes to linking policy development and capacity-building activities with a view to promoting cohesive and mutually reinforcing social, economic, environmental and countries’ policies and programmes in human settlements in conformity with international practices and covenants.
The United Nations Human Settlements Programme, UN-Habitat, has been working within Afghanistan since 1992 with funding support of USAID, Japanese and Australian Governments, EU, DFID, CIDA, Swiss Agency for Development and Cooperation (SDC), Kingdom of the Netherlands and several bilateral donors as well as the World Bank. During this period, its Programme expanded to include a wide range of human settlements initiatives, from small-scale neighbourhood level improvement schemes to community empowerment.
UN-Habitat has been assisting the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan through a number of projects, both urban and rural, supported by different donors:
Knowledge Management Unit (KMU)
This post is located in the GIS and Research Section of the Knowledge Management Unit (KMU) UN-Habitat office in Kabul, Afghanistan.
The overall objective of the GIS and Research Section is to technically support and mainstream GIS-related work and analysis throughout UN-Habitat programmes and projects in Afghanistan and to strengthen the technical capabilities of the Afghan government partners for improved coordination, analysis and information management.
Under the direct supervision of the Senior monitoring, Evaluation and Reporting Officer and the Head of KMU, the GIS and Research Officer will perform the following duties:
|Date Posted:||13 Sep 2018||Reference:||159|
|Closing Date:||30 Sep 2018||Work Type:||Full Time|
|Number of Vacancies:||2||Gender:||Any|
|Functional Area:||Engineering||Open Ended:||NO|
|Nationality:||Afghan||Salary Range:||As per company salary scale|
|Contract Type:||Contractor||Years of Experience:||3 Year(s)|
|Contract Duration:||1 Year(s) & 3 Month(s)||Extension Possibility:||Yes|
|Probation Period:||3 Months|
Duties and Responsibilities
The GIS and Research Officer will report to the Head of Knowledge Management Unit and will be responsible for the following specific duties and responsibilities:
GIS technical support and Urban Research
• Develop map layouts (cartography), including standardized colors schemes and standard templates for high quality hard copy output;
• Support the use of satellite images for data collection and analysis
• Lead the selection and acquisition of satellite images and GIS-related material; collaborate with GIS officers and researchers in harmonizing and archiving GIS-related information in line with KMU parameters
• Support GIS-related research and GIS-related analysis for Programs and management
• Support security risk assessment and analysis
• Make use of platforms like Open street maps, google maps, google earth and IMMAP platforms to conduct research and knowledge sharing throughout the organization and with partners and clients.
• Support data collection and analysis through GIS-based tools for monitoring of the projects (i.e. online monitoring, mapping of project locations)
• Devise and improve procedures for analysis or a wide arrange of data to measure the SDGs, especially SDG11 and produce baselines
Knowledge Management and Sharing
• Develop and manage a geographical database, produce hardcopy outputs (maps, publications) and support the consultation and dissemination of findings with colleagues, clients, partners and stakeholders.
• Support M&E and Reporting duties with GIS mapping and support reporting section on mapping programmes´ progress and producing GIS-related materials
• Ensure data maintenance for all GIS files
• Develop geo-databases and produce hardcopy outputs to support the dissemination of findings to stakeholders
• Coordinate access to the layers of IMMAP website for the partners and overall coordination and data management in liaison with IMMAP team
• Attend relevant meetings, workshops, and working groups to coordinate, search, and collect existing and potential GIS-related information
• Support the work of the GIS Committee, its initiatives and the overall coordination in both technical and Knowledge Management terms
• Support the technical capacity development of partners in GIS techniques and analysis
• Enhance and facilitate geographical information sharing and related capacity development within UN-Habitat Afghanistan
Key Result Areas / Success criteria:
Timely and professional production of thematic maps (e.g. Land use, density, etc.)
Accurate GIS Mapping and spatial database management
Smooth collaboration on GIS-related information and support to programmes and Management
Excellent command of ArcGIS and QGIS and willingness to learn and share knowledge.
Superb understanding of urban issues and strong capacity to link a wide array of concepts, supported by GIS and mapping
Travels to Provinces
Require Travels to Provinces
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the post advertised English and Local Languages are required
- University degree (Bachelor degree or above) in Geo- Science, Economics, Urban Studies or related field.
- A minimum of Three years of work experience in public/private sector, in the filed of Geo-Science, Statistics, or Knowledge Management-related area.
Afghanistan - Kabul
AF AF 12
Bachelors Degree, Engineering
Applicants meeting the essential qualifications of the position are invited to apply by submitting the above documents to :
Failure to comply with the above requirements not signed P11 forms, no indication of VA number ( 2018-09-159) will result in not considering your application.
UN-Habitat is committed to gender balance in all functions and at all levels. Female candidates are therefore especially encouraged to submit applications.
Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
Only short-listed candidates will be notified or contacted.
|More jobs in this category|
|O&M Supervisor, Preventive Maintenance at I Engineering Group||Kabul||28 Nov 2018|
|O&M Field Technician, Mechanical at I Engineering Group||Multi Cities||26 Nov 2018|
|Civil Engineer at ( Ministry of Agriculture) AAIP Project||Kabul||26 Nov 2018|
|Junior Civil Engineer(Re announced) at ( Ministry of Agriculture) AAIP P..||Kabul||20 Nov 2018|
|Construction Manager at (MCG ) Mumtaz Construction Group||Kabul||03 Dec 2018|
|HVAC Engineer at Assist Consultants Incorporated||Kabul||30 Nov 2018|
|Project Manager at UNCDC||Kabul||31 Dec 2018|