Water Management Specialist(868 Views)
The Ministry of Agriculture, Irrigation and Livestock is implementing “On Farm Water Management (OFWM)” Project, financed by the Afghanistan Reconstruction Trust Fund (ARTF), in five (5) regions, namely: Kabul, Nangarhar (Jalalabad), Balkh (Mazar-i-Sharif), Baghlan and Herat.
The overall project development objective (PDO) of the OFWM-Project is to improve agricultural productivity in the Project Areas by enhancing the efficiency of water used.
A Kabul-based Project Management Unit (PMU) headed by the Project Manager, with the assistance of Core Team of Specialists, is responsible for execution of the project. Five Area Teams: one each in Kabul, Nangarhar (Jalalabad), Mazar-i-Sharif (Balkh), Bamyan and Heart, have been established for implementation of field activities.
The project started its implementation from March, 2011 for a period of 3 years and is being monitored by Worlds Bank. The project closing date has recently been extended up to April 2016. The project has received additional fund from the World Bank (the Bank) and the period of the OFWMP has been extended to December 2019.
Part A: On-Farm Water Management
1. Carrying out social mobilization for the establishment of Irrigation Associations (IAs) in the Project Areas, including, inter alia, the provision of: (a) training to communities in organization and management of IAs; (b) facilitation services for communities to develop the IAs’ internal legal rules and regulations (by-laws); (c) assistance to IAs in order for them to be registered under the Water Law (1388); and (d) technical training to IAs regarding water distribution, maintenance of irrigation infrastructure, irrigation methods, water-saving techniques, crop-water requirements, and good agronomic practices.
2. (a) Carrying out rehabilitation works to small irrigation schemes or tertiary canals (watercourses) covering approximately 40,000 hectares in total in the Project Areas, including, inter alia: (a) rehabilitation of existing intakes, (b) canal lining; (c) construction of control structures and outlets; (d) construction of, culverts, laundry basins and cattle troughs; and
(b) Improving design standards and strengthening the private sector’s capacity for contract management and construction techniques.
3. Establishing easily accessible pilot irrigation demonstration sites in the Project Areas to showcase improved water management practices/technology and agronomic water saving techniques/measures, as well as proper farm planning and layout for an efficient use of irrigation water.
Part B: Institutional Strengthening and Capacity Building of MAIL
Developing the institutional capacity of MAIL to plan, design, implement and monitor irrigation programs, including, inter alia: (a) construction and/or renovation of office buildings, one each in Kabul, Jalalabad, Baghlan, Mazar-e-Sharif and Herat, respectively for MAIL and Project staff; (b) strengthening of MAIL’s Directorate of Irrigation at national, provincial and district levels; (c) strengthening the legal framework for the irrigation sector, (d) developing a national irrigation program, (e) undertaking of technical training in the irrigation sector including study tours transferring on-farm water management know-how; and (f) developing a database covering irrigation systems throughout the country.
Part C: Project Management, Coordination, Monitoring & Evaluation
Strengthening the institutional capacity of MAIL for Project implementation, policy development, and technical innovation, monitoring and evaluation, by establishing and maintaining a Project Implementation Unit comprised of a Kabul-based core team, five (5) Project Area Teams and internationally recruited experts.
Part D: Support for Productivity Enhancement
1. Establishing easily accessible pilot irrigation demonstration sites in the Project Area to showcase improved water management practices/technology and agronomic water saving techniques/measures, improved agronomic and social management practices, as well as proper farm planning and layout for an efficient use of irrigation water.
2. Promoting land leveling and high-efficiency irrigation technologies in the Project Area.
3. Establishing Information Centers for farmers at the provincial and district level in the Project Area.
|Date Posted:||09 Oct 2018||Reference:||MAIL/OFWMP/127|
|Closing Date:||23 Oct 2018||Work Type:||Full Time|
|Number of Vacancies:||1||Gender:||Any|
|Functional Area:||Agriculture||Open Ended:||NO|
|Nationality:||Afghan||Salary Range:||As per NTA Salary Scale Policy10000.0|
|Contract Type:||Fixed-term||Years of Experience:||5 Year(s)|
|Contract Duration:||1 Year(s) & 0 Month(s)||Extension Possibility:||Yes|
|Probation Period:||3 Months|
Duties and Responsibilities
• Assume overall responsibility of the water management aspects of the region , and provide direction, supervision to the technical team;
• Coordinate all implementation activities among the team members;
• Strictly follow project implementation plan (PIP) and, based on PIP, assign duties and responsibilities to the technical team members in consultation with regional manager;
• Participate in the selection and verification process of the project sites/Irrigation Schemes and Irrigation Demonstration Sites (IDS);
• Assess the irrigation performance of the selected sites;
• Assess the water distribution system;
• Estimation of water use efficiency at selected irrigation schemes;
• Identification of constraints, organizational as well as related to physical infrastructure;
• Propose recommendations for improving water management practices;
• Report the assessment and recommendations as part of the survey reports;
• Prepare a plan of operations for water management improvements;
• Water losses measurement for the selected irrigation schemes;
• Discharge measurement using current meters or flow trackers and weirs;
• To estimate crop water requirements;
• Upon contract award, with the help of Field Engineer and Design/Irrigation engineers supervise the construction and quantity surveys for the ongoing civil works, ensuring quality of works and authenticity of progress payments to the contractors;
• Regularly monitor the OFWMP agro met station performance and prepare monthly weather report of the province
• Work closely with M&E to ensure data from field is captured and analyzed
• Should be able to give trainings on over all On farm water management including crop water requirement, diagnostic analysis, discharge measurement, weather stations &HEIS;
• Should have knowledge how to design high efficiency irrigation system i-e drip and sprinkler
• Help regional designer on irrigation schemes design
• Assume responsibility for finalizing and submitting timely based reports to the regional manager
• Perform any other assigned duty by regional manager and Core team WMS
Travels to Provinces
Require Travels to Provinces
The candidate must have achieved bachelor degree in Water Management / Irrigation / Agricultural/Civil Engineering, while preference will be given to the candidates with M.Sc./M.Tech./ME degree in relevant field. He/she should have about Five years experience (including in planning, implementation and monitoring of irrigation schemes) with at least two years of relevant experience
Afghanistan - Baghlan: Provincial Center (PUL-I-KHUMRI)
AF AF 12
Interested Afghans with the required qualifications and experience should submit their CV's with covering letter explaining how you meet the required competencies electronically through submission e-mail or should submit their applications in writing (clearly indicating on the sealed envelope the Reference No of the position) to: Human Resources Department, On-Farm Water Management Project, MAIL, Pamir Building 7th floor.
Kindly make sure to write the reference number of the position in the subject line of your emails, otherwise your CVs may not be considered for the further process.
The Subject line should be ( MAIL/OFWMP/127 )
Note: The necessity for ensuring the highest standards of efficiency, competence and integrity remain the paramount considerations in the employment of personnel. In the interests of open and fair competition and a merit based selection process applicants are advised that lobbying for a position , whether by the applicant or by any person acting on his or her behalf, shall result in the immediate disqualification of the candidate from further consideration. And to ensure fairness and transparency, selection will be made on a competitive basis through a selection panel.
|More jobs in this category|
|M&E Officer at MAIL/HVCDSP||Multi Cities||03 Mar 2019|
|National Value Chain Development Facilitator at Food and Agriculture Orga..||Nimruz||28 Feb 2019|
|National Project Manager at Food and Agriculture Organization of the Unit..||Herat||28 Feb 2019|
|Project Manager at MAIL/HVCDSP||Kabul||22 Feb 2019|
|Supervising Civil Engineer at Ghani Consultancy Services||Kabul||02 Mar 2019|
|Horticultural Specialist at Ghani Consultancy Services||Kabul||02 Mar 2019|
|Environmental Specialist at Ghani Consultancy Services||Kabul||02 Mar 2019|
|Contract Farming Specialist at Ghani Consultancy Services||Kabul||02 Mar 2019|